The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tyson Barrie Could be Moved - Friedman

DeltaSwede

On 11/16/2015, 7:58:55, Delta76 said:

Edler/Hamhuis, Demko, Jensen/Boesser, 3rd?

He would be worth that, if not more in my opinion. Giving up Demko and Boesser would hurt but we have Markstrom and great winger depth.

what... no way. Demko's Benning goalie of the future. And we drafted Boesser for a reason, he is a right wing. Where's this great winger depth you are looking at? We had to convert Shinkaruk and Guance to LW because we had no LW and too much C. I am sure both of them would like to play C if they are allowed to. 

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I didn't mention anywhere that lack of size will limit success. Barrie is an amazing offensive d-man no question.

My point was acquiring him would be any already very small d-corps even smaller and poses a big problem against teams in our conference especially with playoff style hockey. 

I'm shocked Bartkowski's only 196 pounds. 

He looks like a 215-220 pound d-man.

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

what... no way. Demko's Benning goalie of the future. And we drafted Boesser for a reason, he is a right wing. Where's this great winger depth you are looking at? We had to convert Shinkaruk and Guance to LW because we had no LW and too much C. I am sure both of them would like to play C if they are allowed to. 

I guess not great...

We aren't going to get a young #1 D for peanuts though. There are a lot of other teams out there, think of all the assets that they could give compared to us. We probably wouldn't even get Barrie for that. Would probably have to give a 2013/14 first rounder as well (Virt,Shink etc.)

On 15/11/2015, 15:58:55, Delta76 said:

He would be worth that, if not more in my opinion. Giving up Demko and Boesser would hurt but we have Markstrom and great winger depth.

Do you know anything about our prospects? 

On 11/18/2015, 4:26:14, Drakrami said:

46 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Do you know anything about our prospects? 

Yeah, I do and I know that they are great prospects. Barrie is a great player, we need to give to get. Maybe I am overvaluing Barrie but I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Personally i rather have Barrie than Hamonic. Barrie brings the key elements this is team is lacking, Hamonic is basically Tanev but will cost us a but more

I agree... Guess this is where you gotta be in the GM chair, who knows what either team is actually asking for or the actual availability of Barrie... 

He is a local boy though so I'd pay a pretty good price to get him here.

I'd rather Hamonic than Barrie, we need his strong, physical shutdown-style to complement Hutton and the small, skating defencemen like Bartkowski and Weber.

Then again, if we could pull both trades off we'd have a fantastic defence:

TO NYI: Hamhuis + Shinkaruk + 2nd

TO VAN: Hamonic

----

TO COL: Vbrata + Weber (for depth purposes) 1st round pick (they'll consider tanking) + Jensen

TO VAN: Barrie

We lose our 1st and 2nd, big whoop. We never draft defencemen with those high picks anyway and quite frankly that's all this organization needs right now, not another winger. We lose Shinkaruk and two rentals which hurts but Boeser and Virtanen are only going to be a year better and Gaunce and Baertschi fill those roles nicely anyway.

Do these trades at the deadline and here's our defence for the playoffs, or better, next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Prust

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce

Jensen/Vey

Edler - Barrie

Hutton - Hamonic

Sbisa - Tanev

Bartkowski

Subban

Miller

Markstrom

Demko

I would happily lose our 1st and 2nd in a deep draft for that defence. You know you're deep when you've got Tanev on the 3rd pairing. If Barrie can play the left side somehow he and Hamonic would  be the perfect top pairing, leaving Edler-Tanev to do their thing and then hopefully Hutton-Sbisa would work. THOSE are the sort of pairings we should be trying to create - a solid, puck moving skating defenceman paired with a strong, physical shutdown defenceman.

Barrie - Hamonic (only if Barrie can play the left side, otherwise see above)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa (as the top pairing)

There's depth, there's quality, there's good skating, there's PP quaterbacks, there's youth and there's a couple of veterans in Edler-Tanev now. That's finally a defence I would be proud of and all of a sudden, a defence that matches up with some of the best in the league. Haven't been able to say that since the 2011 season and even that defence was a mismatch with not enough toughness and shutdown capability.

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd rather Hamonic than Barrie, we need his strong, physical shutdown-style to complement Hutton and the small, skating defencemen like Bartkowski and Weber.

Then again, if we could pull both trades off we'd have a fantastic defence:

TO NYI: Hamhuis + Shinkaruk + 2nd

TO VAN: Hamonic

----

TO COL: Vbrata + Weber (for depth purposes) 1st round pick (they'll consider tanking) + Jensen

TO VAN: Barrie

We lose our 1st and 2nd, big whoop. We never draft defencemen with those high picks anyway and quite frankly that's all this organization needs right now, not another winger. We lose Shinkaruk and two rentals which hurts but Boeser and Virtanen are only going to be a year better and Gaunce and Baertschi fill those roles nicely anyway.

Do these trades at the deadline and here's our defence for the playoffs, or better, next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Prust

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce

Jensen/Vey

Edler - Barrie

Hutton - Hamonic

Sbisa - Tanev

Bartkowski

Subban

Miller

Markstrom

Demko

I would happily lose our 1st and 2nd in a deep draft for that defence. You know you're deep when you've got Tanev on the 3rd pairing. If Barrie can play the left side somehow he and Hamonic would  be the perfect top pairing, leaving Edler-Tanev to do their thing and then hopefully Hutton-Sbisa would work. THOSE are the sort of pairings we should be trying to create - a solid, puck moving skating defenceman paired with a strong, physical shutdown defenceman.

Barrie - Hamonic (only if Barrie can play the left side, otherwise see above)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa (as the top pairing)

There's depth, there's quality, there's good skating, there's PP quaterbacks, there's youth and there's a couple of veterans in Edler-Tanev now. That's finally a defence I would be proud of and all of a sudden, a defence that matches up with some of the best in the league. Haven't been able to say that since the 2011 season and even that defence was a mismatch with not enough toughness and shutdown capability.

Good try :P, doubt that kind of dream works out...

I'd imagine that Col would rather have something more tangible in the trade rather than a rental and picks / prospects. The Hamonic trade seems fine... yet rides on Hamhuis waiving his NTC :|

probably only happens at the deadline.... who knows....

8 minutes ago, goblix said:

Good try :P, doubt that kind of dream works out...

I'd imagine that Col would rather have something more tangible in the trade rather than a rental and picks / prospects. The Hamonic trade seems fine... yet rides on Hamhuis waiving his NTC :|

probably only happens at the deadline.... who knows....

Well I presume NYI want a defenceman back and they get that in Hamhuis, if he doesn't want to waive I hate to say it but a straight up Tanev-for-Hamonic trade might have to do. I'd be willing to do Sbisa + Virtanen + high pick but I doubt anyone else, including management, would.

As for Colorado, they're at the bottom of their tough division and hopefully have to start thinking about tanking, but if they want to make a push maybe we can offer them Vbrata to help that cause or even Higgins/Hansen. If they want to make a push, give them veteran scorers, if they want to tank, give them a 1st round pick. It'll be a top-20 if not top-15 pick in a deep draft and Barrie can't be worth too much more than that. 1st + good young scoring prospect like Shinkaruk + depth defenceman should surely do the trick for a rebuilding team. If they're gunning it for the playoffs, give them Vbrata + Bartkowski/Weber + 1st.

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Well I presume NYI want a defenceman back and they get that in Hamhuis, if he doesn't want to waive I hate to say it but a straight up Tanev-for-Hamonic trade might have to do. I'd be willing to do Sbisa + Virtanen + high pick but I doubt anyone else, including management, would.

As for Colorado, they're at the bottom of their tough division and hopefully have to start thinking about tanking, but if they want to make a push maybe we can offer them Vbrata to help that cause or even Higgins/Hansen. If they want to make a push, give them veteran scorers, if they want to tank, give them a 1st round pick. It'll be a top-20 if not top-15 pick in a deep draft and Barrie can't be worth too much more than that. 1st + good young scoring prospect like Shinkaruk + depth defenceman should surely do the trick for a rebuilding team. If they're gunning it for the playoffs, give them Vbrata + Bartkowski/Weber + 1st.

I'm not sure if Hamonic is much better than Tanev... more physical for sure, more offensive probably a bit... Tanev is actually has 1 more point than him ;) haha. Tanev just seems to be on the right side of the puck 99% of the time, that said I don't watch Hamonic enough to see how well he does defensively comparatively (Tanev also a better +/- on a terrible team)

Don't think Hamonic actually plays the Isles PP... w/e lol

For Barrie though he's an actual sure-fire top 4 offensive style PP guy... he's worth more in my books. Again though no reason for Colorado to pull the trigger yet... they can wait at the offseason or trade at the deadline to get the tanking going... too early for Canucks or AVs to sell at the moment.

I just can't see it happening. To me this is just watercooler talk of whatif's. Colorado currently has an abundance of forwards especially ones carrying higher cap hits. Their defence is thin and trading a good young promising defenseman who hasn't even reached his peak at 24 just doesn't seem like something that would be best for the team in the long run. 

• 3 weeks later...

So...

Wanna hear a funny one?

From Spector’s:

“Elliotte Friedman also engaged in some spitballing on the future of Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie. If the Avs are unable to re-sign Barrie, Friedman wonders if the Vancouver Canucks could make a play for the blueliner. He wonders if the Canucks would part with promising forward Jake Virtanen and either Ben Hutton or Yannick Weber.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Remember, Friedman’s just musing out loud here, not saying this is going to happen. I think the Avs, who need all the blueline depth they can get, will re-sign Barrie. I also don’t see the Canucks parting with Virtanen or any of their key youngsters.”

Thought #7 on Friedman’s list:”7. That wasn’t the only trade proposal I came up with. If Colorado decides it can’t (or won’t) sign Tyson Barrie, wonder if Vancouver, badly needing a defenceman, makes a play.
Would the Canucks do Ben Hutton and Jake Virtanen? Could see them trying Virtanen and Yannick Weber, but I’m not sure that would be enough. Just spitballing. Thank goodness there’s a real trade to talk about.”

Let me get this straight:

VAN
Barrie

COL
Virtanen
Hutton or Weber

Some serious “spitballing” … indeed.

Be nice if Tanev could be a focal point to the deal. Very manageable contract, with obvious additions having to be made. Maybe this could be a deal visited at the draft. Depending on where we are in the draft it could change our outlook on who to keep around. 

If we get Matthews, we could afford to lose a centre or winger.

If we get Puljujarvi, we could afford to lose a winger. Say Shink or Virtanen. 

If we get Chychrun, we could potentially afford to lose Hutton. Then sign a d-man in free agency, 

All the sudden in the Chychrun scenario you have: 

Edler-Barrie

Sbisa- UFA/Trade

Chychrun - UFA

Not great, but better than this year. Then we could shift our focus to a  physical d-man in free agency. No not Buff!! He's good, but wants wayyyy too much money. 

On 11/15/2015 at 1:58 AM, Delta76 said:

... a Top 2 D, our best goalie prospect since Schneider.. and look what schneids is doing now, Boeser whos absolutely killing it right now and a third, why not throw in Virtanen 

Archived