The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

40 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The only thing Pedan has on Larsen is size.  If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't even be ECHL caliber.    Besides his fighting and hitting highlights there really isn't nothing to like about his play.  Are we all just that desperate to see a goon on the ice again?  Tom sestito was  and is a better hockey player than Pedan.  That's saying a lot.

Now do not get in over your head with thinking you're a scout there scout. Pedan is good skater with a booming shot to go along with his hitting and fighting. Everything else is average or just NHL level for a 7th or 8th D man.

3 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Now do not get in over your head with thinking you're a scout there scout. Pedan is good skater with a booming shot to go along with his hitting and fighting. Everything else is average or just NHL level for a 7th or 8th D man.

Jason garrison also had a booming shot and couldn't hit the net.  His skating is great straightline.  Unfortunately agility and skating backwards is a lot more useful for a defenseman.  It doesn't take a scout to see that.  I know you like boom boom.  Everyone does, but there is a reason why everyone passed on him when he went on waivers.  There is a reason why when he is in the lineup he gets less ice time than any other player.

On 2016-11-23 at 4:30 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

The only thing Pedan has on Larsen is size.  If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't even be ECHL caliber.    Besides his fighting and hitting highlights there really isn't nothing to like about his play.  Are we all just that desperate to see a goon on the ice again?  Tom sestito was  and is a better hockey player than Pedan.  That's saying a lot.

.. as long as there are punks like Kadri, Farnham, and other, even profile players that feel they can get away with potentially injury causing disrespectful plays, teams will always have bigger men answer where the league and refereeing fails, Players who can play hockey, and Pedan can play hockey.. he is not a goon.

Tom Sestito has an NHL Career as the game changed,.  Pedan has yet to begin his after the Game has changed.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

.. as long as there are punks like Kadri, Farnham, and other, even profile players that feel they can get away with potentially injury causing disrespectful plays, teams will always have bigger men answer where the league and refereeing fails, Players who can play hockey, and Pedan can play hockey.. he is not a goon.

Tom Sestito has an NHL Career as the game changed,.  Pedan has yet to begin his after the Game has changed.

Mover overrated player by cdc.

On 2016-11-23 at 8:35 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

Jason garrison also had a booming shot and couldn't hit the net.  His skating is great straightline.  Unfortunately agility and skating backwards is a lot more useful for a defenseman.  It doesn't take a scout to see that.  I know you like boom boom.  Everyone does, but there is a reason why everyone passed on him when he went on waivers.  There is a reason why when he is in the lineup he gets less ice time than any other player.

Pedan was passed on waivers because of artful timing... The Canucks timed it to be a lesser or no opportunity for other teams to claim him.. Other Teams did not have the room, nor had they fully assessed there own player talent to claim anyone else.

This allows Pedan to return without having to clear waivers when needed, this also does not qualify him for the expansion draft as he has not played enough games.

Ps. He got little to no ice time last year with the Canucks because of WD's insecurities, .  WD played Weber and Bartowski over Pedan,. But when Pedan played he was better than both.

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Pedan was passed on waivers because of artful timing... The Canucks timed it to be a lesser or no opportunity for other teams to claim him.. Other Teams did not have the room, nor had they fully assessed there own player talent to claim anyone else.

This allows Pedan to return without having to clear waivers when needed, this also does not qualify him for the expansion draft as he has not played enough games.

Ps. He got little to no ice time last year with the Canucks because of WD's insecurities, .  WD played Weber and Bartowski over Pedan,. But when Pedan played he was better than both.

Weber has an NHL job and could've been waived to make room for Pedan.  I didn't see any of this out performance by Pedan.  It looks like the league agrees.  If Sbisa was on waivers at that time, he would've been claimed.  Same goes for Tryamkin and maybe even Biega that's why he wasn't waived down.  The guy is terrible.

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Bartkowski and Weber both have NHL jobs and could've been waived to make room for Pedan by their teams.  I didn't see any of this out performance by Pedan.  It looks like the league agrees.  If Sbisa was on waivers at that time, he would've been claimed.  Same goes for Tryamkin and maybe even Biega that's why he wasn't waived down.  The guy is terrible.

But in terms of player development would it not make more sense to play a rookie in meaningless games to give him NHL confidence/experience, than two depth D that you know you wont be resigning.

What did canucks have to lose at that point.  We we're going to lose the games no matter what.  What we had to gain would be a better insight on how Pedan could handle consistent NHL play.  A player we knew would be fighting for an NHL role the following year. 

As you have mentioned, Sestito, Weber, and Bartowski have all had NHL jobs.. sometimes your resume' has all the attractive things on it.

Until a player has been given his fair shot at the top level, as the above fore mentioned have, you can not really assess a player.

Why would another team take a chance on Pedan?.. So why would he be claimed off waivers?

We never did, Benning traded a fifth rounder for him, saw potential in a player being buried in a system..

Benning has a good eye, realized Tryamkins potential, realized Granlund and Baertschi's after being given up on by the flames.

Sometimes bigger men take a little longer to develop, and this situation may unfold to work out perfectly for the Canucks.

Sometimes things slide the wrong way, .. and if this is the case, then no big loss..

But until then, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised,. and see another reason to support the management of JB.

Were you expecting a McDavid or perhaps even another Stetcher for a 5th ?.. or the Canucks to have arenas packed with talent so high they can not make the team?

That,. Would be harder to manage.

Pedan is fine.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

As you have mentioned, Sestito, Weber, and Bartowski have all had NHL jobs.. sometimes your resume' has all the attractive things on it.

Until a player has been given his fair shot at the top level, as the above fore mentioned have, you can not really assess a player.

Why would another team take a chance on Pedan?.. So why would he be claimed off waivers?

We never did, Benning traded a fifth rounder for him, saw potential in a player being buried in a system..

Benning has a good eye, realized Tryamkins potential, realized Granlund and Baertschi's after being given up on by the flames.

Sometimes bigger men take a little longer to develop, and this situation may unfold to work out perfectly for the Canucks.

Sometimes things slide the wrong way, .. and if this is the case, then no big loss..

But until then, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised,. and see another reason to support the management of JB.

Were you expecting a McDavid or perhaps even another Stetcher for a 5th ?.. or the Canucks to have arenas packed with talent so high they can not make the team?

Pedan is fine.

When someone goes on a semi rant like this acting like they know what they're talking about I expect that person to know what we traded for said player.

I only get 1 minus a day and today you earned it. 

18 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

When someone goes on a semi rant like this acting like they know what their talking about I expect that person to know what we traded for said player.

K goose,  Andrey Mallet is playing in the Czech Republic now, and our 3rd round pick from 2016 that went to the Islanders, went to the Senators, which went to the Rangers.. for Sean Day- OHL Windsor Spitfires.

.. but who could have predicted that?

we needed toughness.. we were, weak.

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

K goose,  Andrey Mallet is playing in the Czech Republic now, and our 3rd round pick from 2016 that went to the Islanders, went to the Senators, which went to the Rangers.. for Sean Day- OHL Windsor Spitfires.

.. but who could have predicted that?

we needed toughness.. we were, weak.

Even though I'm not a fan of Pedan like at all, I agree that it wasn't a bad trade. 3rd round picks typically don't make the show anyways (and I don't think Pedan will). however one loses all credibility on the matter when you don't even know what we gave up.

Sorry. I'll take the minus away. Having a bad day.

56 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

When someone goes on a semi rant like this acting like they know what their talking about I expect that person to know what we traded for said player.

Your disapproval gets my approval.

9 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Even though I'm not a fan of Pedan like at all, I agree that it wasn't a bad trade. 3rd round picks typically don't make the show anyways (and I don't think Pedan will). however one loses all credibility on the matter when you don't even know what we gave up.

Sorry. I'll take the minus away. Having a bad day.

Thanks goose, and your right, my recollection of a move is easy enough to check on , and be more accurate..  I appreciate your call.

I see Pedan as being protected.  I think he will be the next Physical offset in a 3rd pairing or rotating 7th D.

Seems to be what management is trying to do with our D core, have a highly skilled Dman pairing with a Physical Dman combined with other attributes, outlet pass, heavy shot, good skater, great crease protection.

I can wait for Pedan,. as Stetcher, Brisboise, and Joulevi roll into the fold.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Pedan is fine.

Why talk about McDavid?  He got traded for a 3rd and a bad prospect Mallet.  I have no expectations, but a lot of people on this forum do because he is big and he won some skills competition for straight line speed and hardest shot.  I could care less about the third round pick.  Anything past the top 15 is fair game for me if you think you can improve the team.  We took a shot on Pedan and we missed.  I just don't get why certain players on here are so hyped.  We have Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Sbisa and Edler now.  We need skill and real game speed.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But in terms of player development would it not make more sense to play a rookie in meaningless games to give him NHL confidence/experience, than two depth D that you know you wont be resigning.

What did canucks have to lose at that point.  We we're going to lose the games no matter what.  What we had to gain would be a better insight on how Pedan could handle consistent NHL play.  A player we knew would be fighting for an NHL role the following year. 

Pedan just doesn't look like a hockey player for me.  He doesn't think the game well at all.  His lateral movement and overall agility is Dana Murzyn stiff.  Sure give that time to Subban or Beiesbois or trade for a youngster.  I assume management wanted to shield our younger players from too much too soon.  Bring them along slowly keeping confidence high.  You know like not Jake Virtanening everybody.  To me no matter how bad the team is you have to earn your job.  Bartkowski and even Weber are better hockey players than Pedan.  By better I say that definitely with the knowledge that they are both seriously flawed players.

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Pedan just doesn't look like a hockey player for me.  He doesn't think the game well at all.  His lateral movement and overall agility is Dana Murzyn stiff.  Sure give that time to Subban or Beiesbois or trade for a youngster.  I assume management wanted to shield our younger players from too much too soon.  Bring them along slowly keeping confidence high.  You know like not Jake Virtanening everybody.  To me no matter how bad the team is you have to earn your job.  Bartkowski and even Weber are better hockey players than Pedan.  By better I say that definitely with the knowledge that they are both seriously flawed players.

He would of made the team this year ..all things being equal but they opted for Biega instead because of his potential in the expansion draft and Tryamkin not wanting to go down to Utica.....it was said numerous times that Pedan was having a great camp...and its hard to ignore the intangeables he brings...shot ..speed and pugilism...which Weber..and Bartkowski never had.....but you wont have to lose any sleep over it..he is buried so deep now that he wont get a call up and he is having a horrible start to the season with injuries and probably some dejection...he would be better off out of this organization and that no doubt will happen as his contract is over this season and I cant see him being resigned...unless on a minor league deal.

Archived