The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

LMAO okay.

I think it's a bit of a "political" ranking meant to criticize Pedan's lack of opportunity. Because their own stats basically have Pedan's NHL chances tanking from his D+5 to D+6 season. So they're saying that he still has NHL upside and just is getting stuck behind depth issues and possibly some organizational bias regarding his readiness.

It's not necessarily a view I share. I think Pedan is a top-10 prospect but probably not as high as 6th. Maybe 9-10. He is certainly the closest to NHL ready of our D prospects. He's also the oldest. 

But I see him playing NHL hockey one day. Maybe here, maybe somewhere else. But probably I'd put his chances of becoming a legitimate NHLer just inside our top-10.

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pedan ranks #6 on the Canucks Army midterm prospects rankings: 

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/21/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-6-andrey-pedan

Reveal hidden contents

Coming in at sixth on our Midterm Prospect Rankings is Andrey Pedan. Pedan, 23, is in his third year in the Vancouver Canucks system after coming over via a trade with the New York Islanders that saw Alexandre Mallet and a third round pick head the other way. After two solid seasons in Utica, Pedan looked to be on a positive track toward cracking the Canucks roster but has been unfortunately buried behind a fair number of blue liners above him in the organization. 

This year, the 6'5" blueliner has struggled to produce in Utica, only putting up 3 points in 22 games. After spending 30 days with the big club, Pedan was recently sent down due to him needing waivers if he stayed in the NHL another day

Let's dive into what makes Andrey Pedan our sixth-ranked prospect.

CAREER STATS

PGPS & COHORT BREAKDOWNS 

Andrey Pedan Y2Y 

Andrey Pedan Deployment (Bar) 

Andrey Pedan Cohort 

Andrey Pedan's pGPS does not bode well for him. While the drop in Pedan's pGPS from 63% to 9% is concerning and he saw a huge drop largely due to his age and his lack of games played at the NHL level. Pedan's AHL cohorts are nothing that stands out but they reflect that he can be a serviceable third pairing defender.

With that being said, Pedan does have something very few people on this list have: NHL experience. Not only did Pedan play in the NHL, he actually looked like he could hold his own as a third-pairing blueliner. Statistically and visually, Pedan looked to be a solid option for the Canucks this season and would serve as a quality depth piece should the team run into injury problems.

The one caveat to Pedan's NHL experience is that it is extremely limited and he received very minimal playing time in his actual position. In his brief 13 game stint with the Canucks last year, Pedan was seemingly experimented with more than the Canucks have done this year with the entire lineup. It is tough for a player to truly show their value if they are not put in a reasonable position to succeed. Given that Pedan was mainly utilized in garbage time as a forward last season, it's reasonable to believe that Pedan was not put in a reasonable position to succeed and the Canucks could not get an accurate read on what the defender brings to the table. 

Based on everything we have available, both statistically and visually, Pedan is actually a decent defender. He has unfortunately never got the chance to prove it for a lengthy period of time. Because he never got the chance and is nearing his peak, his chances of getting being a regular NHLer dropped significantly.

MID-SEASON RECAP

Pedan started off this season in Utica, where he has struggled to find the scoresheet. However, Pedan sits second amongst Comets defenders with a 53.57% Goals For percentage and an impressive 15.48% Goals For percentage relative to his teammates which leads all Comets defenders. He is by far the Canucks most NHL-ready blueliner and was fully deserving of being called up to the big club.

Unfortunately for Pedan, he was unable to crack a lineup even when it was ravaged by injuries and the flu bug recently. It would have been as good of time as ever to give Pedan a shot on the blue line and feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. The Canucks ultimately made the right call in sending him back down to the AHL to avoid him requiring to be placed on waivers seeing as how was not going to receive playing time.

It might be for the best for him to finally get back into game action should the Canucks run into more injury issues and need to call him up.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As of right now, Pedan is the most NHL-ready blueline prospect the Canucks have. He may not have the top end offensive abilities of Jordan Subban, but Pedan brings with him the ability to shut down the opposition with his defensive abilities.

You can talk about how likely a player is to succeed at the NHL level based off of their career progression. You can talk about how they looked solid in their limited playing time in their natural position in the NHL. At the end of the day, it does not matter if the player will not be put in the lineup over a player who's so sick that they're almost throwing up whenever they get hit.

Barring a coaching change or another slew of injuries and illnesses, it looks like Pedan's chances on breaking into the NHL with the Canucks are slim. For a team that values size, grit, and tenacity as much as the Canucks do it is quite peculiar that one of the players that fits that bill has yet to be given a shot. Pedan likely will not be a game changing player. His small sample size in the NHL and his career progression in the AHL, however, points towards him being a valuable option for any team needing a quality third pairing defender.

I sincerely hope this is not the last we see of Pedan in a Canucks uniform, as the Canucks seem to have a solid defensive prospect on their hands. Let's hope the Defensive Datsyuk gets his opportunity to shine in the NHL again.

Have these army people watched Pedan play?  

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it's a bit of a "political" ranking meant to criticize Pedan's lack of opportunity. Because their own stats basically have Pedan's NHL chances tanking from his D+5 to D+6 season. So they're saying that he still has NHL upside and just is getting stuck behind depth issues and possibly some organizational bias regarding his readiness.

It's not necessarily a view I share. I think Pedan is a top-10 prospect but probably not as high as 6th. Maybe 9-10. He is certainly the closest to NHL ready of our D prospects. He's also the oldest. 

But I see him playing NHL hockey one day. Maybe here, maybe somewhere else. But probably I'd put his chances of becoming a legitimate NHLer just inside our top-10.

Yeah I get what your saying. I'm just comparing his success at the level of hockey he's at to others success to the level they're playing at. Off the top of my head he shouldn't be higher than Lockwood. 

the 2nd comment says it best.

#2 Killer Marmot
January 21 2017, 05:22PM
Trash it!
trashes
Props
props

Tanev, Edler, Stecher, Gudbranson, Hutton, Tryamkin, Sbisa, Larsen, and Biega.

And prospects-in-waiting Pedan, Juolevi, Brisebois and Subban.

The club is drowning in defensemen, most of them young. It's impossible to handle, and could well result in talented players not getting the shot they deserve, as this article points out. The Canucks need to trade a couple of them for young forwards, which are lacking.

I would not, however, say that Pedan's problems are due to mismanagement by the club. Rather the Canucks have been too successful at addressing their lack of defensive talent evident just a year ago.

19 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

unfortunate that Pedan may not be in the Canuck organization beyond this season. I hope he does stay with the organization and gets a chance to play for the Canucks and contribute to the team. would he be any worse than a Guddy? 

Yup. And that's an injured Guddy you're comparing him to, but he would still be worse.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-22 at 10:29 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We still need a player like Pedan with that edge.. I would have loved to have seen much more of him this season..  He can keep opposing forwards heads on swivels, and that is intimidating in itself. He does have a game to support his edge... really hope to see him with us next year.

this is recent..

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We still need a player like Pedan with that edge.. I would have loved to have seen much more of him this season..  He can keep opposing forwards heads on swivels, and that is intimidating in itself. He does have a game to support his edge... really hope to see him with us next year.

this is recent..

me too. i hope he gets a chance next season. i don't think he's a bad dman. 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

this is recent..

Holy f¥€k he manhandled Quenneville. That wasn't even a contest...

My guess is Pedan doesn't feel challenged enough at the AHL level and senses that needs to move beyond it to continue his progression. In the same position, most people would find it difficult to internally justify a "good attitude". That said, he needs to cultivate that mentality of consistency to make The Show, so here's hoping he figures it out through the remainder of this season and the summer, so that he can start with the 'Nucks in the fall as a depth player.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's game: Pedan makes short work of Anton Blidh with a heavy right over the top. Only three fights this season for Pedan, but he's had them in back to back games now and his ability is still as fearsome as ever. However, he has to start cutting out the bad penalties and make smarter decisions in his own zone; he's getting lost in the shuffle in Utica and has been a frequent scratch of late. I think there's still potential there, but right now he looks like a sloppier Sbisa with more speed and better physicality. McEneny and Subban have both passed him on the depth chart in my opinion, but he has a unique skill set compared to both... its up to him if he can ever pull the full package together though.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

He was up for about 10-13 games this season.. Willie doesn't use him.  A new Coach will probably change that.

Really? He was a healthy scratch a for multiple games just before this. I think before last weekend  he had 1 fighting major all season. Reports from the utica guys say that he's sucked ass pretty much all year. 

You guys need to get over this WD thing. Consistency is holding Pedan back. Not WD. It's not WD'S fault that goldobin got the flu. WD did not give markstrom food poisoning. WD did not invent cancer.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Really? He was a healthy scratch a for multiple games just before this. I think before last weekend  he had 1 fighting major all season. Reports from the utica guys say that he's sucked ass pretty much all year. 

You guys need to get over this WD thing. Consistency is holding Pedan back. Not WD. It's not WD'S fault that goldobin got the flu. WD did not give markstrom food poisoning. WD did not invent cancer.

Are you sure :lol: 

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Are you sure :lol: 

You wouldn't believe it after reading some of these threads but I'm pretty sure he did not. I mean hey its okay to not like him as a coach. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But he's not the root of all that has gone wrong with this franchise. 

23 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

WD slept with my wife and stole my dog!:angry:

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Goose,  even last year Desjardins had numerous opportunities to play Pedan over Weber, Bartowski, and others. There are 2 games that come to mind that Pedan was GIVEN opportunitty with Desjardins as Coach,. One of those Pedan played as a forward, while Biegga was on D.

When Biegga had actually positioned as a forward many time more than Pedan in his career.

In the other game he played a great, gritty game on our D against the Kings, where he constantly took ownership of our crease area, and affirmed it with a swing set with Nolan.

This year, although Pedan was with us for the extent of his waiver protection, Desjardins gave him no opportunitty.

Some may say his game may be a bit inconsistent in Utica now,. But perhaps that's an indication of being disappointed?

it happens.. regardless of all the cliches' that fans and players can come up with in these situations..

it happens.

Regardless, I think the Canucks have protected him by not trying to bring him up again..

I hope he gets an exciting run at the playoffs in Utica this year, I think he is valued for all of his skills by Green.  And I hope Andrey gets the real shot he deserves with the Canucks next season so that he can get on with his life, one way or the other.

ps. You and others here do not need to go into the hula hoop dance protecting Desjardins.

I just stated the fact that even though Pedan has been up with the Canucks for a lot of games,. The Coach here has not really given Pedan a lot of opportunity to show, or get his rythym over the past 2 seasons, even though he could have.

Thats a Coaches decision.

Archived