The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

Kindof in the same boat as Grenier -- shows flashes but doesn't bring it consistently, especially not at the NHL level.  Grenier's established himself better at the AHL level though whereas Pedan seems to have regressed a bit this year.  They both have the physical skills to make it, but need to bear down and do it otherwise they'll be career AHLers.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:52 AM, J.R. said:

WD slept with my wife and stole my dog!:angry:

WD slept with my dog and stole my wife!:unsure:

But yeah, one punch isn't any reason to get all excited over Pedan again. I had hopes he could come in and be a reliable depth guy but he didn't show that in his call ups. He's been a healthy scratch more than just what the rotation dictates of late and his play even in the AHL has been inconsistent. Maybe he figures it out over the summer and shows more in camp, but I'm not holding out as much hope as I had before the season started.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Kindof in the same boat as Grenier -- shows flashes but doesn't bring it consistently, especially not at the NHL level.  Grenier's established himself better at the AHL level though whereas Pedan seems to have regressed a bit this year.  They both have the physical skills to make it, but need to bear down and do it otherwise they'll be career AHLers.

Might be mentally is what holds them back. Not that they don't know how to play hockey, but have trouble adjusting their game to the bigger, faster NHL and can't compensate. Archibald had that same issue in his call ups, with flashes of playing simple and effective hockey but then getting overwhelmed and trying to do too much.

Pedan (and even more so with Grenier and Archibald) was always going to be a work in progress, it's certainly not Desjardin's fault if he doesn't figure it out.

20 hours ago, BCNate said:

Does anyone see Pedan being a steady NHLer for us?  or is he an AHL level player.  Ive never had a great read on him, other than he has great size and play a physical game.

Last year it was looking like he could become a solid #7 with #6 potential, but as of this year, he's looking like an AHL career player. He's been a healthy scratch in Utica a few times and seems to be off mentally.

16 hours ago, elvis15 said:

WD slept with my dog and stole my wife!:unsure:

But yeah, one punch isn't any reason to get all excited over Pedan again. I had hopes he could come in and be a reliable depth guy but he didn't show that in his call ups. He's been a healthy scratch more than just what the rotation dictates of late and his play even in the AHL has been inconsistent. Maybe he figures it out over the summer and shows more in camp, but I'm not holding out as much hope as I had before the season started.

Pedan has been called up at least twice but did not get a chance to play for the Canucks this year. I was disappointed. I thought WD might at least want to see what he could do.

But I take the point that things are not going well. Being a healthy scratch in Utica is definitely not good, and Travis Green gets a lot of respect as a coach. So if he scratches Pedan, that is a pretty strong signal.

At age 23 he is no longer really a "prospect". This is the transition year from "prospect" to "tweener" or "AHLer".

Last year I attended a game where he played forward and I watched him closely. I was disappointed. He just skated up and down the ice but seemed unable to get involved in the play. Of course he is a D, not a forward, but still that is not a good sign. Biega has looked better as a forward than Pedan did.

So, like Elvis, I am not optimistic but I hope he gets one more shot next year. And for now obviously we are all hoping that Utica can finish strong and have a playoff run.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Pedan has been called up at least twice but did not get a chance to play for the Canucks this year. I was disappointed. I thought WD might at least want to see what he could do.

But I take the point that things are not going well. Being a healthy scratch in Utica is definitely not good, and Travis Green gets a lot of respect as a coach. So if he scratches Pedan, that is a pretty strong signal.

At age 23 he is no longer really a "prospect". This is the transition year from "prospect" to "tweener" or "AHLer".

Last year I attended a game where he played forward and I watched him closely. I was disappointed. He just skated up and down the ice but seemed unable to get involved in the play. Of course he is a D, not a forward, but still that is not a good sign. Biega has looked better as a forward than Pedan did.

So, like Elvis, I am not optimistic but I hope he gets one more shot next year. And for now obviously we are all hoping that Utica can finish strong and have a playoff run.

There is always a certain "need" for a player like Pedan.. sure, someone like Biegga can look better,. And that's not a knock on Biega's game..

But a player like Pedan will keep your head on a swivel if your playing against him. .. and if you have a comfort level you like in front of the oppositions net,. Prepare to get uncomfortable.

I think Pedan WILL put together an all around game,. Where his strengths WILL be needed on the Canucks.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

seemed very disinterested all year long, hope he can turn it around.

Sounds at least like he wants to stay here. He's one who I'm sure could get a job in the KHL but has chosen not to. I think that deserves respect.

I'm not sure what the Canucks will do, or should do with Pedan... he just seems like one of those players that has all the tools and at first glance there's no reason why he shouldn't be pushing for an NHL job. He has a heavy shot, great mobility, and is a huge physical presence, but he can never seem to put it all together at the same time. Pure hockey sense is something that's very hard to improve and is something that Pedan appears to be lacking on a lot of nights. At his worst, he was making poor giveaways in his own end, abandoning his check, and letting his temper get the best of him and lead into some costly penalties and ended up being a regular scratch at one point because of it.

However, in the last few weeks of the season this behaviour abated a little bit and Green had Shields scratched on a regular basis with Pedan in the lineup every night. At his best, he can really be a physical force and he's one of those guys who you don't want to face around the net. He scored a shorthanded goal vs Hartford in the second to last game off the rush that was completely electrifying. But his lack of consistency and his habit of letting opponents goad him into penalties, or going for the big hit instead of the smart play has caused him to get lost in the shuffle a little bit. McEneny and Subban are probably both ahead of him at this point. I think there's a chance he still gets re-signed because he brings a very unique skill set to the table but he's farther away from making an impact than he was last season.

53 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'm not sure what the Canucks will do, or should do with Pedan... he just seems like one of those players that has all the tools and at first glance there's no reason why he shouldn't be pushing for an NHL job. He has a heavy shot, great mobility, and is a huge physical presence, but he can never seem to put it all together at the same time. Pure hockey sense is something that's very hard to improve and is something that Pedan appears to be lacking on a lot of nights. At his worst, he was making poor giveaways in his own end, abandoning his check, and letting his temper get the best of him and lead into some costly penalties and ended up being a regular scratch at one point because of it.

However, in the last few weeks of the season this behaviour abated a little bit and Green had Shields scratched on a regular basis with Pedan in the lineup every night. At his best, he can really be a physical force and he's one of those guys who you don't want to face around the net. He scored a shorthanded goal vs Hartford in the second to last game off the rush that was completely electrifying. But his lack of consistency and his habit of letting opponents goad him into penalties, or going for the big hit instead of the smart play has caused him to get lost in the shuffle a little bit. McEneny and Subban are probably both ahead of him at this point. I think there's a chance he still gets re-signed because he brings a very unique skill set to the table but he's farther away from making an impact than he was last season.

Yes, I guess Pedan is a long shot right now. He had a great year in Utica in 2015-16 (0.47 PPG and +17 and a major physical presence with toughness and speed). This year his PPG was 0.19 and he was -4 and, as pointed out by @stonecoldstevebernier, was often a healthy scratch. That is a big step back.

But getting called up to Vancouver in both 2015-16 and 2016-17 to mostly just watch seemed to demoralize him, which I can understand. I still don't get why he did not get more  of a chance to show what he could do. The Canucks could certainly use his toughness.

I remember going to a game in late 2015-16 when he was playing forward. I watched him closely. It was very disappointing. He never seemed to get in the play. He seemed to try hard to say "on the right side of the puck" (i.e. always between the puck and the net) but he rarely touched the puck or did anything else of value. As a D playing forward, I think Biega was  a lot better.

No doubt it was hard to shift from D to forward, but he did seem to lack anticipation for the play.

And the Canucks have a lot of Ds at the third pairing/7th man/ high AHL level, so it is hard to see much happening with the Canucks for Pedan.

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Yes, I guess Pedan is a long shot right now. He had a great year in Utica in 2015-16 (0.47 PPG and +17 and a major physical presence with toughness and speed). This year his PPG was 0.19 and he was -4 and, as pointed out by @stonecoldstevebernier, was often a healthy scratch. That is a big step back.

But getting called up to Vancouver in both 2015-16 and 2016-17 to mostly just watch seemed to demoralize him, which I can understand. I still don't get why he did not get more  of a chance to show what he could do. The Canucks could certainly use his toughness.

Yeah, I thought he showed well in the games he played the previous year - he looked raw but not wildly out of place. Keeping him on the roster for 30 days without playing him and letting his waiver immunity run out made no sense, and by the time he got back to Utica he hadn't seen game action and was cold. The Canucks seem to have their group of young defensemen mostly settled going forward now (Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi, etc.) so he'll be hard pressed to find a spot... even looking ahead to training camp, barring some injuries or a couple d-men getting moved during the summer there's just no space for him to make it.

Benning needs to trade some D. Pedan, Mceneny and Subban all to some extent deserve a shot this year. Not to mention Juolevi will probably be on the Canucks as well. Maybe even Raddysh if he signs. Currently

LD-RD

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Hutton-Subban

Juolevi-Raddysh?

Pedan-Biega

McEneny

Sautner

Cederholm

Brisebois

etc.

Thats a lot of D and quite a few prospects that deserve a shot or are pushing for a spot.

Canucks could definitly make a few trades and if they want a little more experience they could sign a cheap RD UFA short term.

Trade Edler(if he'd waive) or Sbisa and Tanev, Biega, Hutton. Run with

Edler/Sbisa-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudrbranson

Juolevi-UFA(Stone)

Pedan-Subban

etc

14 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Benning needs to trade some D. Pedan, Mceneny and Subban all to some extent deserve a shot this year. Not to mention Juolevi will probably be on the Canucks as well. Maybe even Raddysh if he signs. Currently

LD-RD

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Hutton-Subban

Juolevi-Raddysh?

Pedan-Biega

McEneny

Sautner

Cederholm

Brisebois

etc.

Thats a lot of D and quite a few prospects that deserve a shot or are pushing for a spot.

Canucks could definitly make a few trades and if they want a little more experience they could sign a cheap RD UFA short term.

Trade Edler(if he'd waive) or Sbisa and Tanev, Biega, Hutton. Run with

Edler/Sbisa-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudrbranson

Juolevi-UFA(Stone)

Pedan-Subban

etc

You are a comedian if you would risk losing any of these 4 for a chance to play Pedan, Subban McEneny etc.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You are a comedian if you would risk losing any of these 4 for a chance to play Pedan, Subban McEneny etc.

I don't know if you noticed but we have a lot of defensemen and are a rebuilding team. Trading for what we need is part of the business and you hope your prospects can step up to fill old guys shoes. Pedan deserves an extended look at the NHL level. Subban needs more time in the AHL but is a solid callup. Juolevi will be on the team next year due to Canucks fans complaining about Tkatchuk and the fact he looks ready. And my personal dark horse is McEneny, I think this guy could step up in training camp and take a spot easily. he could be as good as Hutton next year with his sound defensive play but ability to drive offence.

27 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't know if you noticed but we have a lot of defensemen and are a rebuilding team. Trading for what we need is part of the business and you hope your prospects can step up to fill old guys shoes. Pedan deserves an extended look at the NHL level. Subban needs more time in the AHL but is a solid callup. Juolevi will be on the team next year due to Canucks fans complaining about Tkatchuk and the fact he looks ready. And my personal dark horse is McEneny, I think this guy could step up in training camp and take a spot easily. he could be as good as Hutton next year with his sound defensive play but ability to drive offence.

Given where we are in the rebuild, I wouldn't be remotely opposed to moving both Edler and Tanev (maybe even Hutton as well if you can get high value for him ahead of the ED) and filling in out the roster with a couple kids and some depth UFA's.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Given where we are in the rebuild, I wouldn't be remotely opposed to moving both Edler and Tanev (maybe even Hutton as well if you can get high value for him ahead of the ED) and filling in out the roster with a couple kids and some depth UFA's.

yep thats exactly what I think. Especially on the left side we have a lot of players and some need to be traded. Elder, Sbisa, Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Pedan, McEneny etc. Sign a cheap RD UFA and trade Tavev as well. Or wait a year to trade Tanev. 

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

yep thats exactly what I think. Especially on the left side we have a lot of players and some need to be traded. Elder, Sbisa, Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Pedan, McEneny etc. Sign a cheap RD UFA and trade Tavev as well. Or wait a year to trade Tanev. 

FWIW, McEneny's a lefty but plays right side predominately if I recall. I'd rather trade Tanev now (before his NTC kicks in or he gets more injuries) and either have Tryamkin (or Sbisa) continue playing right side or as you say, sign a cheap depth guy on that side.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It would be nice to see Pedan as a 4th liner, we need 4th liners who can be physical and bring energy. Not #%$&*@ Chaput and Megna. We need a physical 4th line.

Ya Pedans your perfect utility guy. Can play 4th line basher or 3rd pairing defender. He could be a very valuable piece for us going forward if he's just given a shot.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya Pedans your perfect utility guy. Can play 4th line basher or 3rd pairing defender. He could be a very valuable piece for us going forward if he's just given a shot.

If he is given one shot he will prove himself because he'll know that's it's one of his only chances to show that he is NHL ready.

Archived