The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't know if you noticed but we have a lot of defensemen and are a rebuilding team. Trading for what we need is part of the business and you hope your prospects can step up to fill old guys shoes. Pedan deserves an extended look at the NHL level. Subban needs more time in the AHL but is a solid callup. Juolevi will be on the team next year due to Canucks fans complaining about Tkatchuk and the fact he looks ready. And my personal dark horse is McEneny, I think this guy could step up in training camp and take a spot easily. he could be as good as Hutton next year with his sound defensive play but ability to drive offence.

Pedan "deserves" nothing. He fights and so is a "fan" favourite. Get back to me when he can defend. We know nothing about Juolevi yet. Hutton and Tanev are class acts compared to Pedan or Subban imo.

Yeah, I think Pedan's chance of being qualified just went from uncertain to favourable. We'll be hurting for toughness on the back end without Tryamkin now, and I hope Pedan realizes that and works on his game harder than ever this summer to be ready to compete in camp. I think it'll be open season between Pedan, McEneny, and Juolevi for that 7th spot (or maybe even the 6th spot if someone is moved) and given Pedan's age and unique skill set he may have the inside track... if he can keep his head on straight.

16 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah, I think Pedan's chance of being qualified just went from uncertain to favourable. We'll be hurting for toughness on the back end without Tryamkin now, and I hope Pedan realizes that and works on his game harder than ever this summer to be ready to compete in camp. I think it'll be open season between Pedan, McEneny, and Juolevi for that 7th spot (or maybe even the 6th spot if someone is moved) and given Pedan's age and unique skill set he may have the inside track... if he can keep his head on straight.

If Pedan or McEneny win the roster spot I predict they will become the new whipping boy. Especially if it's Pedan.  While he may surprise and hold his own in his own way, he'll be compared to Tryamkin.  

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If Pedan or McEneny win the roster spot I predict they will become the new whipping boy. Especially if it's Pedan.  While he may surprise and hold his own in his own way, he'll be compared to Tryamkin.  

Agreed both will need to step their games up if they want to fill an NHL spot. I do think McEneny has a better chance though. He's not undersized, and is a pretty slick puck handler. Pedan is more speed and physicality in front of the net. 

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Pedan certainly has whippability with his lapses but McEneny seems a lot more solid.  Figure he's got the upper hand, as coaches will always go with the guy they can trust.

My guess is we sign a depth D UFA, Pedan is improved but still gets waived (and likely clears), McEneny makes the club and splits time with said UFA as 6/7 D. Juolevi perhaps gets a 9 game trial with someone injured (or 'injured'). If he sticks, the UFA or McEneny get waived as well.

I think Pedan has a decent chance of cracking the roster (assuming he's still Canucks property) if Green is hired as head coach.

Pedan's past history, going back the last few seasons, seems to be one of him finding his game and consistency in Utica, and then losing all his good habits whenever he gets called up to Vancouver. Then a period of adjustment when he's demoted back to the AHL while Green works on getting Pedan back playing "the right way."

Maybe with Green as Canucks head coach, Pedan just sticks to the playstyle he's been successful with. And if that's the case, he quite possibly becomes a useful depth/bottom pair option at the NHL level.

Which, needless to say, would be a great outcome. Especially for a D that's losing Tryamkin next season.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Pedan has a decent chance of cracking the roster (assuming he's still Canucks property) if Green is hired as head coach.

Pedan's past history, going back the last few seasons, seems to be one of him finding his game and consistency in Utica, and then losing all his good habits whenever he gets called up to Vancouver. Then a period of adjustment when he's demoted back to the AHL while Green works on getting Pedan back playing "the right way."

Maybe with Green as Canucks head coach, Pedan just sticks to the playstyle he's been successful with. And if that's the case, he quite possibly becomes a useful depth/bottom pair option at the NHL level.

Which, needless to say, would be a great outcome. Especially for a D that's losing Tryamkin next season.

Agreed.

Also in my opinion, Pedan would be the type of guy that would loved to be shown videos of Pronger. He is used to the NA style, and appears to be more than willing to engage in the bruiser style.

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He didn't play that well even under Green for large chunks of this season though...

Yeah, according to Utica fans he never really got his game back for most of this year, and was not infrequently scratched by Green.  It was only down the stretch that he apparently became more consistent.

Worst-case, if Green leaves the organization they will at least know from him whether he's worth keeping or not, as part of the planning moving forward.  If he's not going to progress past the AHL we can either try to move him or just keep firing him onto waivers as a depth guy.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

My guess is we sign a depth D UFA, Pedan is improved but still gets waived (and likely clears), McEneny makes the club and splits time with said UFA as 6/7 D. Juolevi perhaps gets a 9 game trial with someone injured (or 'injured'). If he sticks, the UFA or McEneny get waived as well.

Big part depends upon if we still have one of our current dmen; that is, if Sbisa is taken or Edler/Tanev moved to protect him.  Either way, unless JB puts out a bribe to Vegas it looks as though we'll have another open slot to fill.  Darren Raddysh should be paying full attention!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Signed a 1 year with the Canucks  as per Blake Price TSN1040 03/05/17 @ 12:55pm.

Not sure if it's one way to two way deal

Good to hear we locked him up for another season.  With Willie Gonzo, I see more of these Utica guys (who deserve a fair chance) getting time.  I can't believe Willie had Pedan up for a whole month, and never even played the guy!  Still has me a bit POed.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good to hear we locked him up for another season.  With Willie Gonzo, I see more of these Utica guys (who deserve a fair chance) getting time.  I can't believe Willie had Pedan up for a whole month, and never even played the guy!  Still has me a bit POed.

Interesting move since Pedan was in Green's doghouse a lot this season including a handful of healthy scratches down the stretch.  

Archived