The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

I could see Pedan and Juolevi taking turns as #6 Ds. rotating in and out giving each their development time. One of Edler, Sbisa, Hutton will be gone by development camp through expansion or trade

Edler-Stetcher

Sbisa-Tanev

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Pedan-UFA

If Pedan can make the simple plays and be a net clearing d man for us theres a spot for him in my opinion. Hes got the size and speed to be an NHL shutdown defender, but needs to consistantly make the right reads. 

Once he has that I want to sew him shoot and carry the puck a bit. 

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I could see Pedan and Juolevi taking turns as #6 Ds. rotating in and out giving each their development time. One of Edler, Sbisa, Hutton will be gone by development camp through expansion or trade

Edler-Stetcher

Sbisa-Tanev

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Pedan-UFA

Hutton is ED exempt. Short of the LVK taking a Guance or Pedan instead, one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa will be gone either by trade or by ED. 

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

If Pedan can make the simple plays and be a net clearing d man for us theres a spot for him in my opinion. Hes got the size and speed to be an NHL shutdown defender, but needs to consistantly make the right reads. 

Once he has that I want to sew him shoot and carry the puck a bit. 

From what I've heard in Utica, he doesn't make simple plays. that's basically the problem. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

From what I've heard in Utica, he doesn't make simple plays. that's basically the problem. 

Thing is, he's known and openly admitted for significant time now that that's what's expected of him, but so far he hasn't delivered it consistently.  Then again, we could say the same thing for Sbisa, but this past season he seemed to finally give up the Orr aspirations and became an effective dman.

According to the Utica local newspaper http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170503/pedan-signs-extension-with-canucks-comets-coach-watch

According to the website CapFriendly, the deal is worth $750,000 in the NHL and $200,000 if he returns to the Utica Comets in the American Hockey League, with $300,000 guaranteed.

When he was introduced as the Canucks new coach last week, Green mentioned the physical Pedan has potential to play at the next level.

“He’s knocking on the door,” Green said of the lefthanded Pedan.

6 hours ago, J-23 said:

I like his attitude!

I do as well. Although IIRC, he came into last season saying all the right things but the offseason/preseason attitude didn't necessarily translate into Pedan taking the strides we hoped for last season.

This summer he's given himself quite a list of areas to work on:

Here's hoping he can be successful. But I'm not sure how many mid-20s guys I've seen make significant improvements over the summer in defensive play, skating, and puck skills, and also manage to get themselves into great shape. That's quite the list. Wish him nothing but the best in checking all those items off over the next few months.

The good news is that I honestly believe Pedan already has most of those skills in his toolbox. He can be quite good in his own zone when he's playing well. He is a good skater. And he actually has quite good puck skills. And he's usually in good shape. So it's not really like he has to take huge strides in those areas.

It's more the mental side and confidence IMO. And if he can get that side of the equation balanced, then look out. Pedan has always had the potential to be a unique player. I hope he has a great offseason of training and comes in hungry and motivated, gets on a roll early, secures a lineup spot, and never looks back.

Totally agree, it's the mental side holding him back at the next level, and even a little in the AHL. We know he can skate, hit and shoot the puck hard, but he could stand to be better at the simple things and not overthink it as much as making a massive hit, joining the rush or throwing bombs from the point.

I remember having this conversation about Kassian when we had him, although with him it was more he ended up chasing from trying to do too much where I think Pedan ends up more lost than just behind the play. In both cases though, a few better decisions make a difference in their games.

Pedan showed reason for hope in the time he got last season. This year he didn't show as well at all, and struggled a bit in Utica as well. Hopefully it was an outlier year and he finds his better game again.

• 3 weeks later...

saw him 2 years ago at Xmas when he suited up for the Nucks against the oilers.  Liked his play.  Sounds like he understands that to play in the show you gotta want it and put in the work.  

Canucks could use him for sure

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope Pedan is able to push his way into the roster this year. I feel like this year could be a now or never for him. The situation is very preferable for Pedan this year. With the high probability of loosing Sbisa in the expansion draft and Tryamkin to his family, we are loosing a physical presence in the back end. Pedan can hopefully step up and fill out the back end. We don't have alot of grit on the backend past Guddy. This guy seems to have all the tools, the question is whether or not he can put them together and crack the NHL roster. I have a good feeling about him this year playing some games for the canucks. One would have to think that he is a early injury call up if our D core stays intact and we aren't filling gaps in the starting roster. 

Archived