The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

On 11/23/2015, 10:18:39, J.R. said:

I hope he plays well and adding his physicality will be 'nice' but realistically he'll make very little difference. Our problems on D aren't the bottom pairing guys. It's a lack of quality and quantity in the top 4. Never mind uncomplimentary roles.

Not particularly. I'd much prefer he have a reputation of "not worth going to the front of the net/corner" against.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well, if he wants to earn an NHL pay check, he better be.  Don't we want a guy, who can play, to have a terrific fighter reputation?  

I want a good solid large defenseman. Fighter reputation is for MMA or boxers.....

I think what Pedan means is that he'll step up for his teammates when needed, but doesn't want to be a total 'goon' and be only known for 'fighting'.

Pedan will keep pedaning people.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎20‎:‎01‎, Hairy Kneel said:

When our D plays hard our forwards have more time and space. If teams have to pay a price coming into our zone they'll hesitate just enough so we can clear the zone easier. Hitting helps with our confidence.

Good post.

Not just pay a price coming in the zone.

In an example from our own team Higgins has employment in the NHL, more than any other reason, because he constantly wins boards battles. And he is not even especially punishing, or talented, like say Corey Perry. Who can push and shove like a beast, still dangle with the puck and turn towards the net.

Its the physical tools. We need someone who will actually punish the Higgins of the world in the corners. Make their life miserable and hard to function. A guy who is not particularly imposing should not be an impact against us just because he is game. More important, be strong enough to stand up the Perry's of the world. He is a guy our D sometimes just cant handle because of his strength. Plus the reach of a 6'5'' guy helps everywhere, including in front of the net and when guys try and cross the blue line. Its Chara's reach, for example, that gives the cycle game of the Twins (and everyone else) fits more so than just his strength.

We need a beast and its not just the fear caused by the abilty to knock someone out.

What the Canucks need is Luke Schenn. Big body strong on skates. Mobile for a heavy guy and solid defensively.

Willing to lay the body and clear the crease. Gets dirty in the corners and will stick up for teammates and scrap if necessary.

Ideal bottom pair d-man and on this d would be top 4.

Also bonus is a right hand shot and prairie boy. Can they convince him to leave his bro in Philly if he hits free agency?

I see him being better in the West where he doesn't have to worry about wide open play and the speedy and smaller quicker forwards in the East.

Elder-Taney

Hutts-Schenner

Sbisa-Mattie B.

Pedan-Weber

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I want a good solid large defenseman. Fighter reputation is for MMA or boxers.....

I heard some of the best fighters do train MMA for grappling, and boxing for striking.  I still think a player like him will need something more than just pure hockey skill to play.  Plus, being an effective enforcer is a skill too - IMO

Just now, Alflives said:

I heard some of the best fighters do train MMA for grappling, and boxing for striking.  I still think a player like him will need something more than just pure hockey skill to play.  Plus, being an effective enforcer is a skill too - IMO

It's a skill yes, but it's not one that ultimately determines a hockey game. Does it motivate? That depends on the fight and can be a risk really.

If you're an effective defenseman that fights, well you're not that effective after each fight while being in the penalty box. lol

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's a skill yes, but it's not one that ultimately determines a hockey game. Does it motivate? That depends on the fight and can be a risk really.

If you're an effective defenseman that fights, well you're not that effective after each fight while being in the penalty box. lol

Unless you take the other team's net presence - Lucic - with you.  Don't you think guys play a more aggressive game, when they know a tough guy has their back?  We already have Edler on D for size, and he is a far better skill guy than Padan.

Just now, Alflives said:

Unless you take the other team's net presence - Lucic - with you.  Don't you think guys play a more aggressive game, when they know a tough guy has their back?  We already have Edler on D for size, and he is a far better skill guy than Padan.

I think the more guys you have on the team who can actually play the game, the better off your team is going to be. There used to be a point in time where each team would have at least one straight up fighter, but that dwindled out around 10 years ago when they changed the game to be faster and more akin to smaller players. Guys like Laraque faded out and skilled agitators became, and has been, more of the trend.

If we just have a defender out there who fights but can't play (ie. Boris Valabik), we then have a player who's going to be a liability on defense, someone who forwards can skate around and get to the net much easier.

Players like Edler, while physical and skilled, are great, but can only play on 1 line. Just because we already have a player like that, it doesn't mean we don't need another. Pedan's not Edler all the same, but I doubt Pedan's getting the callup for his gloves over his physical play.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the more guys you have on the team who can actually play the game, the better off your team is going to be. There used to be a point in time where each team would have at least one straight up fighter, but that dwindled out around 10 years ago when they changed the game to be faster and more akin to smaller players. Guys like Laraque faded out and skilled agitators became, and has been, more of the trend.

If we just have a defender out there who fights but can't play (ie. Boris Valabik), we then have a player who's going to be a liability on defense, someone who forwards can skate around and get to the net much easier.

Players like Edler, while physical and skilled, are great, but can only play on 1 line. Just because we already have a player like that, it doesn't mean we don't need another. Pedan's not Edler all the same, but I doubt Pedan's getting the callup for his gloves over his physical play.

I think we agree.  We want players good enough to play skill wise, and tough enough to handle the physical stuff too.  Imagine how valuable Baertchi would be if he was as tough as Iginla?  Top end skill combined with a physical presence makes for an even better player.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we agree.  We want players good enough to play skill wise, and tough enough to handle the physical stuff too.  Imagine how valuable Baertchi would be if he was as tough as Iginla?  Top end skill combined with a physical presence makes for an even better player.  

lol I'd rather Baetschi just prove he can play his game, whether it's an Iginla (he's not obviously), an Ovechkin, or even if it's just another Vrbata or whatever. In my opinion, a good team has all sorts of players who find their niche on the team. Not every player needs to be tough. Not every player needs to have soft hands. Every player, however, needs to be able to work together, work hard, and prove their worth,

The rest is up to management on the makeup of the team and looking top-down the lineup on how to improve the team to make it compete against 29 other GMs who are doing the same thing.

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

lol I'd rather Baetschi just prove he can play his game, whether it's an Iginla (he's not obviously), an Ovechkin, or even if it's just another Vrbata or whatever. In my opinion, a good team has all sorts of players who find their niche on the team. Not every player needs to be tough. Not every player needs to have soft hands. Every player, however, needs to be able to work together, work hard, and prove their worth,

The rest is up to management on the makeup of the team and looking top-down the lineup on how to improve the team to make it compete against 29 other GMs who are doing the same thing.

Every player is improved if they add toughness to their skill set. IMO.  

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Fighting lessons are a must for this guy, because whether he wants the reputation of a fighter or not, he already has it. I was very impressed by the video that came out of Bo and Jake taking fighting from Prust. Pedan is huge and uses his reach and power to overwhelm guys, but his chin is straight up in the air and he doesn't think about defending himself at all. Even if he doesn't get a game in during his call up, I hope that he takes the time to learn everything that he can from our undersized sluggers. He needs to be an intimidating presence and protect himself at the same time.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Fighting lessons are a must for this guy, because whether he wants the reputation of a fighter or not, he already has it. I was very impressed by the video that came out of Bo and Jake taking fighting from Prust. Pedan is huge and uses his reach and power to overwhelm guys, but his chin is straight up in the air and he doesn't think about defending himself at all. Even if he doesn't get a game in during his call up, I hope that he takes the time to learn everything that he can from our undersized sluggers. He needs to be an intimidating presence and protect himself at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they shouldn't fight to protect themselves. I just think it's a skill that shouldn't be in the forefront of a player. First and foremost, I think the actual hockey skills should be the most important, including the skills that make opponents want to fight you. ;)

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good post.

Not just pay a price coming in the zone.

In an example from our own team Higgins has employment in the NHL, more than any other reason, because he constantly wins boards battles. And he is not even especially punishing, or talented, like say Corey Perry. Who can push and shove like a beast, still dangle with the puck and turn towards the net.

Its the physical tools. We need someone who will actually punish the Higgins of the world in the corners. Make their life miserable and hard to function. A guy who is not particularly imposing should not be an impact against us just because he is game. More important, be strong enough to stand up the Perry's of the world. He is a guy our D sometimes just cant handle because of his strength. Plus the reach of a 6'5'' guy helps everywhere, including in front of the net and when guys try and cross the blue line. Its Chara's reach, for example, that gives the cycle game of the Twins (and everyone else) fits more so than just his strength.

We need a beast and its not just the fear caused by the abilty to knock someone out.

Exactly that..the reach..Willie Mitchell had that in spades I was thinking that our bottom guys should go to a bit longer stick on the pk too.Any edge is a good edge. Kept Mitchell in the game.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they shouldn't fight to protect themselves. I just think it's a skill that shouldn't be in the forefront of a player. First and foremost, I think the actual hockey skills should be the most important, including the skills that make opponents want to fight you. ;)

Agree totally that making plays should be his primary focus, but he is going to get challenged regardless if he's the kind of physical presence that we want him to be. Virtanen has figured this out after being challenged by some plug and seems to have backed off from his hitting a bit. Aggressive play and hitting are going to go hand in glove with fighting, so I really hope that there is some teaching going on when it comes to defending yourself on the ice.

Archived