The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Good article thanks to Robongo, HuttonWink, and the famous hockey widow.

maybe moving Hamhuis opens the ice for Pedan? I see us trying to sign Prust,. Possibly Virbata.. Boy he's had some tuff puck luck.

I understand they need veterans but they don't need Hamhuis or Vrbata. If you want a solid veteran who plays tough sign Luke Schenn.

That Tanev comment sounds b.s. his whole personality is chilled out he is not a physical guy at all like Hutton despite both their height.

Hamhuis, Edler, Weber,Bartowski only hit rarely too. The whole d is soft besides Sbisa who is willing to hit and get dirty in the corners but not so much clearing the crease.

They couse use a Russian Bear or two. Pedan and Tryamkin. Also need a right hand shot and another offensive d who can qb the pp wouldn't hurt either like a Kris Russel.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I understand they need veterans but they don't need Hamhuis or Vrbata. If you want a solid veteran who plays tough sign Luke Schenn.

That Tanev comment sounds b.s. his whole personality is chilled out he is not a physical guy at all like Hutton despite both their height.

Hamhuis, Edler, Weber,Bartowski only hit rarely too. The whole d is soft besides Sbisa who is willing to hit and get dirty in the corners but not so much clearing the crease.

They couse use a Russian Bear or two. Pedan and Tryamkin. Also need a right hand shot and another offensive d who can qb the pp wouldn't hurt either like a Kris Russel.

You may have just found the nickname for the pair ;) 

"The Russian Bears"

... Or at least for Tryamkin :)

12 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Honestly, I would move edler at the earliest possible date, before word gets around the league.  Right now I think most teams, in the east especially, think he is  #1-2 dman calibre......Benning should capitalize on that.

Tanev and Hutton are the only long-term solutions currently on the roster and should be anchoring the top two pairs, but I am open to keeping Sbisa around for his contract if he continues to improve.  Worst-case he gives us a good physical presence on the bottom pairing.  Bartkowski is okay as a fill-in but Weber's stay has expired.

For whatever reason, Edler has again regressed and they seriously need to look at his future here.  The stickler of course is his NTC, but while he has value and as long as there is a decent replacement option it's something that probably needs to be done.  Moving both him and Hamhuis would really kill the experience back there though, so a cheaper stay-at-home vet option should be pursued for stability if they are to be gone.

I don't know if Edler's regressed so much as him trying to do too much again with our D core being banged up and out some key forwards. Throw in a long road trip, a lack of practice time to curb bad habits etc.... That is his M.O. He overthinks, tries to do too much and looks $&!#e. Coach's need to reign that in.

That said, I'd be open to packaging any of Tanev, Edler or Hamhuis if it meant getting a young, LEGIT #1D. Only reason I'd be a bit shy on moving Tanev is our lack of right side depth. But IMO, if we plan to be contending in a few years, he needs to be second pair by then if still here. Tanev on our first pair =/= contender IMO short of pairing him with an absolutely DOMINATE #1D. Like clear and away the league's best D-man.

Regressed in light of him having the same partner so his responsibilities and situation haven't changed yet his play has.  Perhaps his minutes have increased, but that's no excuse for his poor gameplay, decision-making, and the constant mental errors.  Dougie had him back on track last year but something's definitely gone wrong again.

I'm really hesitant to move Tanev.  Not only is he solid defensively, but his mobility has improved and Hutton's offensive instincts seem to be rubbing off as he's starting to carry the puck now and is looking to make plays.  In addition, despite not being that physical he appears to be putting on a bit more size, and his contract may look like a bargain in short order.  The RHD thing is a very big factor, too.  Young, improving, top-4 guy -- no reason to move him.

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Regressed in light of him having the same partner so his responsibilities and situation haven't changed yet his play has.  Perhaps his minutes have increased, but that's no excuse for his poor gameplay, decision-making, and the constant mental errors.  Dougie had him back on track last year but something's definitely gone wrong again.

I'm really hesitant to move Tanev.  Not only is he solid defensively, but his mobility has improved and Hutton's offensive instincts seem to be rubbing off as he's starting to carry the puck now and is looking to make plays.  In addition, despite not being that physical he appears to be putting on a bit more size, and his contract may look like a bargain in short order.  The RHD thing is a very big factor, too.  Young, improving, top-4 guy -- no reason to move him.

And Dougie needs to get him back on track. This is what Edler does when our D depth wears thin and the team is struggling (not to mention his partner being injured). He tries to do too much, thinks too much, tries to overcompensate...and it just ruins his game. He plays outside of himself. 

He hasn't fallen off a cliff, he just needs to simplify. Coaching and practice.

The only reason I move Tanev is for an upgrade. A young, legit 1st pair guy. Otherwise I agree. Particularly that our RD depth is SHALLOW.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

And Dougie needs to get him back on track. This is what Edler does when our D depth wears thin and the team is struggling (not to mention his partner being injured). He tries to do too much, thinks too much, tries to overcompensate...and it just ruins his game. He plays outside of himself. 

He hasn't fallen off a cliff, he just needs to simplify. Coaching and practice.

The only reason I move Tanev is for an upgrade. A young, legit 1st pair guy. Otherwise I agree. Particularly that our RD depth is SHALLOW.

Well look what we got here...

I'd do Tanev for Hamonic. Prefer something like Hamhuis + Vrbata though and even out our R/L D depth a bit..

Wow, it didn't even take two full pages for this thread to go off track. I wonder why the original one disappeared...

Back to Pedan, does anyone know how bad the hit was that got him a suspension? I'm assuming it wasn't too bad or intentional as it was only one game even though it was for a hit to the head. It seems like he's been doing a better job of keeping himself in check this year but I'd still like to see him cut back a little more and be able to still play an intimidating game but more clean and with less fighting just to fight (though it seems he's been better in this department too). We all know that he can be mean and throw them, so now I'd like to see him focusing more on his skills so he can make the jump soon.

48 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Wow, it didn't even take two full pages for this thread to go off track. I wonder why the original one disappeared...

Back to Pedan, does anyone know how bad the hit was that got him a suspension? I'm assuming it wasn't too bad or international as it was only one game even though it was for a hit to the head. It seems like he's been doing a better job of keeping himself in check this year but I'd still like to see him cut back a little more and be able to still play an intimidating game but more clean and with less fighting just to fight (though it seems he's been better in this department too). We all know that he can be mean and throw them, so now I'd like to see him focusing more on his skills so he can make the jump soon.

Can he play games for the Canucks during an AHL suspension?

On November 17, 2015 at 2:00:37 PM, Hutton Wink said:

From the infamous Hockey Widow:

"Benning also wants to make room for Pedan at some point this season. Feels he will be a solid 5-7 guy with the possibility of being top four some day. While he believes our transition game is better this season doesn't like our lack of defensive toughness."

SSam says:

They should call him up today to play against New Jersey. Hutton is out, there is an opportunity here.:angry:

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

"Benning also wants to make room for Pedan at some point this season. Feels he will be a solid 5-7 guy with the possibility of being top four some day. While he believes our transition game is better this season doesn't like our lack of defensive toughness."

SSam says:

They should call him up today to play against New Jersey. Hutton is out, there is an opportunity here.:angry:

I think Dorsett will have no problem answering the bell vs. that punk Farnham.   

1 minute ago, PlanB said:

I think Dorsett will have no problem answering the bell vs. that punk Farnham.   

I just see this as a golden opportunity for Pedan. Not really concerned about the punk, im sure BPrust will have lots to say to Farnham "on ice". APedan could use the confidence booster after he serves his 1game suspension tonight.

im not sure how "waivers" may effect this scenario.., anyone?

On 11/18/2015, 8:35:22, stawns said:

Honestly, I would move edler at the earliest possible date, before word gets around the league.  Right now I think most teams, in the east especially, think he is  #1-2 dman calibre......Benning should capitalize on that.

If it were only that easy though right? Sekers mentions Edler getting that back injury back in '11 and how he has never been the same player since as being a reason he would not be highly regarded anymore even in just the East unfortunately.

Fedun and Pedan have been rock solid for Utica this season, might be interesting to see how they go in stints with Vancouver. I'd like to give them both a chance, especially over Weber who has been brutal in his defensive zone this season and isn't racking up enough offence to cover that up. We need big, strong shutdown defencemen playing with puckmovers - when you have Weber, Hutton and/or Bartkowski on the ice at the same time bad things are going to happen. Sbisa's return has saved this team big time because he can man-handle opponents that Weber, Hutton and Bartkowski cannot.

I'd love to see what Pedan could do with the big club but the left side is sorted for now with Hutton, Hamhuis, Sbisa and Edler. We'd need two injuries on the left, maybe even 3 before Pedan gets a shot.

The right side is far weaker and more forgiving though. Nevertheless, if Hutton's out for a while I'd love to see Pedan get called up in place of Weber, even if it's for 15 minutes a night.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Pedan - Bartkowski

Archived