The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

Already posted some tidbits from this interview with Travis Green (see Cassels and Demko threads) so figured I'd also post the Pedan section. Green also talks about Subban and Gaunce but no real "news" in those sections (so I didn't post them--although they're still worth a read).

Good stuff on Pedan:

The spotlight will be on 6-foot-5 defenceman Andrey Pedan in training camp. Facing a numbers game on the Canucks defence – they have eight defencemen pencilled in ahead of him – the 23-year-old could be lost on waivers this season if the team tries to send him to Utica. He’ll need a good preseason for the Canucks to keep him.

Most players with Pedan’s size have to work on their speed and quickness, but Green doesn’t see it that way.

“He’s got a lot of skill, he’s got a lot of talent,” Green explained. “He skates well, he shoots the puck well, he passes the puck hard, he hits, he fights. He just needs to keep getting better.

“He’s a young defenceman that I think in the past he’s skated so well and probably been able to skate his way out of trouble a lot. And now at the NHL level, for him to be effective, he’s got to learn to almost simplify things and make sure he makes the right play and the right pass and moves it quick and he’s not going to count on skating the puck up ice.”

For Pedan, the key will be making smart decisions with the puck.

“When you’re dealing with young players they feel at our level that they can play the power play, they can rush the puck up the ice, and trying to break them of certain habits is vital. If his brain can catch up to where he skates and the rest of his skill level, if he can get to that NHL level I think he’s got a chance to play.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-prospects-2016

Green summarizes effectively the deficiencies many of us saw in Pedan's game last year: his brain still needs to catch up to his skill level and natural ability.

But sky's the limit if Pedan can start thinking the game at an NHL level.

I wasn't very encouraged by what I saw from him last year. But I'm rooting for him and hope we see a big improvement from day one of training camp (and carried through preseason and opening night).

There's no doubt that Pedan could be a force in the NHL if he can get the mental side of his game on track. He definitely has everything else going for him.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There's no doubt that Pedan could be a force in the NHL if he can get the mental side of his game on track. He definitely has everything else going for him.

Yeah he's worth the long term effort. You have to wonder if he's intimidated and needs confidence. Problem is JB has stated they want to have more success this coming season so that sounds to me like "code" for development is on the back burner .....sorry Anrea

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah he's worth the long term effort. You have to wonder if he's intimidated and needs confidence. Problem is JB has stated they want to have more success this coming season so that sounds to me like "code" for development is on the back burner .....sorry Anrea

I don't think the Canucks can afford to have that kind of tunnel vision going forward with so many young players joining the team.  If they do, they will lose players like Pedan, when they are no longer waiver exempt. 

Pedan is only 23yrs old and that is an early age in the development of dmen.  The Canucks have to find him a place on the team, as he will not pass through waivers this season.  Next year there will be several young players in the same boat.

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think the Canucks can afford to have that kind of tunnel vision going forward with so many young players joining the team.  If they do, they will lose players like Pedan, when they are no longer waiver exempt. 

Pedan is only 23yrs old and that is an early age in the development of dmen.  The Canucks have to find him a place on the team, as he will not pass through waivers this season.  Next year there will be several young players in the same boat.

I agree but it is a dilemma. We don't know what the season ticket renewal ( or more correct I don't know ) rate and the financial forecast for the Canucks. I'd have to think that Aquamans prime profit income is real estate/property development  first and for most and with the new Goverment tax ( at long last ) chnaces are he's forecasting a down turn in in his property development business. Now compound this with maybe a bleak budget for the Canucks and this might be a pivotal time in Aquaman's future.  Who knows ! So the pressure point may have moved in the last 3 months. As usual the mantra "follow the money baby, follow the money" applies maybe more than we plebs understand

I think 'more success' probable for this year, as the team is better overall.  Of course staying healthy will be a key and the younger players need to show an improvement over last year.

Pedan is a cheap (and flexible - can play F and D)  'extra' and won't have much of a negative factor on the team; especially if he is paired with a defensive dman.  Sadly, I think we will lose Biega.

The only additions I see (later in the season) is adding another W if Rodin isn't working out.  I could also see Bur leaving at trade deadline (I would so love for him to get another chance at a cup).

Regarding the owners...they have probably made a huge killing on the real estate market already.  All investors know that 'the bubble will burst' at some point; it's part of the business. 

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think 'more success' probable for this year, as the team is better overall.  Of course staying healthy will be a key and the younger players need to show an improvement over last year.

Pedan is a cheap (and flexible - can play F and D)  'extra' and won't have much of a negative factor on the team; especially if he is paired with a defensive dman.  Sadly, I think we will lose Biega.

The only additions I see (later in the season) is adding another W if Rodin isn't working out.  I could also see Bur leaving at trade deadline (I would so love for him to get another chance at a cup).

Regarding the owners...they have probably made a huge killing on the real estate market already.  All investors know that 'the bubble will burst' at some point; it's part of the business. 

I was a fan of Biega from his first game. That said I do believe he will likely be waived and maybe lost. His age is his biggest drawback and now the d-men depth is pushing him down. I am assuming that Sbisa likely holds onto the #5 spot and Tryamkin, Larson and Pedan fight for a share of #6. The Canucks have to find out what these two have to offer.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Canucks Army has an interview with Pedan regarding the coming season. 

He sounds pretty motivated. Here are some of the main quotes:

“I think it’s time for me to play in the NHL,” he told Canucks Army after a recent workout at Rogers Arena. “I’m going to do everything I can to make the team this year. I think the coaches know what I can do. It’s up to them to make the decision."

“I got the chance to play as a forward and whatever it was, I did it,” he says. “I’ll look at it as a good thing instead of watching the game in the dressing room. I’d rather be with the guys on the ice. I was really excited last year to get the opportunity to play. This year I want to spend more time and play defense full time.”

“Some people can be patient, some people can’t,” he says. “I can, but there is always a limit to be patient. I want to be on the team this year.”

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/9/12/canucks-pedan-i-think-it-s-time-for-me-to-play-in-the-nhl

Another interview with Pedan, this time from Kuzma at The Province. Like the last one, I'll post the quotes from Pedan and let people click the link for the full article.

“I got a lot stronger for sure this summer and I’ll be way better in my D-zone with the puck,” the towering Vancouver Canucks defenceman predicted Tuesday following an informal team skate at Rogers Arena. “I also played a lot of minutes in Utica last year and that gave me a lot of confidence.”

“Some guys are skilled, but some can also play a physical game and I think for me, it’s one thing I can do better than other guys,” said Pedan, who trained in Moscow in the off-season. “I don’t want to be known as a fighter, but I can take care of myself and I don’t think about waivers or whatever, but I think it will be a tougher decision for them (Canucks).

“I’m really excited for this year and I know anything can happen if you play solid. I came to North America because I like this type of hockey. I don’t like the big rinks. It’s slow and you can take a nap between shifts. I like when it’s intense and the boys are going at it. Some (Russian) guys get some injuries and want to take it easy on their bodies and go back there (KHL) and make some money.

“I’m ready to make the NHL.”

“That day I couldn’t sleep after the coach told me I might be in the lineup,” he recalled. “I was in bed and my heart was beating so fast because I was picturing every play. I came to the rink and I was so fired up. But I knew right away I could play at this level. Everybody on the ice just seemed like normal humans. It’s just how you mentally prepare to play.

“I have a lot of respect for players, but when it comes down to being on the ice, there are no friends and I’ll do anything to win.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/pedan-plans-to-secure-canucks-spot-and-avoid-waiver-wire

Loving how fired up Pedan sounds. I hope he really brings it from day one of camp and leaves no doubt as to who deserves to crack those final spots on D.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM, higgyfan said:

Pedan will be on the roster, he can get spot use on the back end and on the fourth line. 

Biega will be the guy 'snuck' thru waivers. The only way they give up on him is if he is a giant disappointment at camp. If they do waive him, I could see the Oil or T.O taking him, and that would really suck. 

Do't let this guy go JB. Keep him on the roster, get him games as a d man, and let him develop properly at the NHL level. He's still raw and putting it all together, but he has the build, smarts, and work ethic to be a great bottom pairing guy with some time. Guys who can fight, hit, skate, and shoot are pretty handy on the backend.

Barring him having a garbage camp (in which case he belongs in Utica and would very likely pass waivers), he'll be 8th D IMO.

He'll get slow integration and a LOT of time with coaches and practicing. Hopefully by the time injuries start happening, he'll have enough practice and have adjusted more to thinking the speed  of the game at this level. He's physically ready, he just needs to adjust to the speed and settle in a bit.

Slow and steady, standard WD treatment should do the trick.

49 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I like Pedan a lot....would love to see him on the Canucks, .but he needs to play, he would play tons in Utica which is good...so I'm conflicted with what's best for him.

But I know I don't want the Canucks to loose him that's for sure.

Pedan is waiver eligible and likely will be plucked by another team. As much as that would be great option for him, Pedan's pretty much destined to be an NHLer this season. The decision the Canucks have to make with him is whether or not they want him on their NHL roster... because a team like Edmonton, Arizona, or Montreal likely plucks Pedan the minute he hits the waiver wire. Only way Pedan passes through waivers is if he has a major injury during the training camp which is extremely unlikely.

As such, I'm thinking Pedan is the #8.

The guy who needs to be worried about being waived and sent to Utica in my mind is Luca Sbisa. His contract is pretty much waiver proof and as such, he'd be a guy who should be worried about his job in Vancouver this season.

In my mind, an ideal "top 8" for the Canucks would be this:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larson

Pedan

Stecher

First call ups: Sbisa, Biega, Sautner, Subban

My gut keeps saying that Stecher is going to pull a Hutton, that's why I have him beating out Sbisa and Biega for a roster spot despite having zero NHL experience. Ideally, you'd want more experience on the blueline, but this is the sort of blueline that you can develop over the next season or two. Pedan and Tryamkin can swap out depending on the team they are playing (or how they're playing individually) and Stecher and Larson can swap out to provide an offensive punch to the blueline depending on what team the Canucks are playing. 

However, the likely defensive corps is likely

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudrbanson

Sbisa - Larson

Tryamkin

Pedan

If Pedan gets badly outplayed by both Tryamkin and Sbisa -- I expect the Canucks will roll the dice to see if they can trade Pedan -- likely for a forward prospect (hopefully a centre).

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Pedan is waiver eligible and likely will be plucked by another team. As much as that would be great option for him, Pedan's pretty much destined to be an NHLer this season. The decision the Canucks have to make with him is whether or not they want him on their NHL roster... because a team like Edmonton, Arizona, or Montreal likely plucks Pedan the minute he hits the waiver wire. Only way Pedan passes through waivers is if he has a major injury during the training camp which is extremely unlikely.

As such, I'm thinking Pedan is the #8.

The guy who needs to be worried about being waived and sent to Utica in my mind is Luca Sbisa. His contract is pretty much waiver proof and as such, he'd be a guy who should be worried about his job in Vancouver this season.

In my mind, an ideal "top 8" for the Canucks would be this:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larson

Pedan

Stecher

First call ups: Sbisa, Biega, Sautner, Subban

My gut keeps saying that Stecher is going to pull a Hutton, that's why I have him beating out Sbisa and Biega for a roster spot despite having zero NHL experience. Ideally, you'd want more experience on the blueline, but this is the sort of blueline that you can develop over the next season or two. Pedan and Tryamkin can swap out depending on the team they are playing (or how they're playing individually) and Stecher and Larson can swap out to provide an offensive punch to the blueline depending on what team the Canucks are playing. 

However, the likely defensive corps is likely

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudrbanson

Sbisa - Larson

Tryamkin

Pedan

If Pedan gets badly outplayed by both Tryamkin and Sbisa -- I expect the Canucks will roll the dice to see if they can trade Pedan -- likely for a forward prospect (hopefully a centre).

Sbisa isn't gonig to be waived, he will be on the team. If they need to move him, there will be takers.

I expect anyone who can be sent down without clearing waivers will be sent down.

We go through a lot of defense during the year. There will be lots of room for guys to be called up and get games.

Sbisa takes a really hard rap on this board, but when you look at numbers last year, we really struggled in our own zone when he was injured. We really missed his physical style of play.

I came to North America because I like this type of hockey. I don’t like the big rinks. It’s slow and you can take a nap between shifts. I like when it’s intense and the boys are going at it. Some (Russian) guys get some injuries and want to take it easy on their bodies and go back there (KHL) and make some money.

Haha, that's great stuff.  Sure hope he's stronger as he claims, and that he's ready to play a solid basic game.  I agree he'll be a 7/8 as they won't risk losing him for nothing, especially to an Edmonton or Calgary.  If he, Larsen, and Stecher all show well we could see Sbisa moved for a 2nd/3rd, and I still believe that Edler is one of the guys JB had in mind when he stated that they would trade players before they became diminishing assets.

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haha, that's great stuff.  Sure hope he's stronger as he claims, and that he's ready to play a solid basic game.  I agree he'll be a 7/8 as they won't risk losing him for nothing, especially to an Edmonton or Calgary.  If he, Larsen, and Stecher all show well we could see Sbisa moved for a 2nd/3rd, and I still believe that Edler is one of the guys JB had in mind when he stated that they would trade players before they became diminishing assets.

I don't think JB can move Sbisa right now. Because of that Stecher should probably start in Utica. He can easily be first call up if needed

11 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

We need a guy like Pedan available. It doesn't hurt having him float around as an extra player to bring in when we need toughness. Would have loved to have him around in the Boston series. He can play a regular shift fine, he isn't a goon but he can sure chuck em. 

Yeah Pedan brings a unique skill set which is not exactly abundant on the team. As Naslund used to say about Wade Brookbank  ... he make's every player on the bench 6" taller

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎21 at 3:33 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Sbisa isn't gonig to be waived, he will be on the team. If they need to move him, there will be takers.

I expect anyone who can be sent down without clearing waivers will be sent down.

We go through a lot of defense during the year. There will be lots of room for guys to be called up and get games.

Sbisa takes a really hard rap on this board, but when you look at numbers last year, we really struggled in our own zone when he was injured. We really missed his physical style of play.

Biega IMO will be the first choice to send down. Good player but little future upside

Biega is clearly a better defenseman than Pedan (based upon last year alone). Not sure how training camp will work out, but one thing is for sure, Biega trained hard this summer and worked on a weakness in his game. Pedan can talk all he wants on how hard he worked this summer, but the proof will be in the exhibition games. 

I actually hope that Pedan makes the team. If he's sent down to Utica I would expect him to not be too happy (last year when he got sent back down it was so oblivious that he was just going through the motions). Biega on the other hand is a true professional and will give his normal 110% in Vancouver or Utica. I actually don't see either of them making it through waivers without being claimed. 

Archived