The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

52 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Biega is clearly a better defenseman than Pedan (based upon last year alone). Not sure how training camp will work out, but one thing is for sure, Biega trained hard this summer and worked on a weakness in his game. Pedan can talk all he wants on how hard he worked this summer, but the proof will be in the exhibition games. 

I actually hope that Pedan makes the team. If he's sent down to Utica I would expect him to not be too happy (last year when he got sent back down it was so oblivious that he was just going through the motions). Biega on the other hand is a true professional and will give his normal 110% in Vancouver or Utica. I actually don't see either of them making it through waivers without being claimed. 

There is no doubt that Biega is a better, more skilled defenseman than Pedan ....but here's the .... but .... he bring no "special skills" to the roster ...  Pedan does. The 7th/8th guy needs to offer some thing that the roster needs and Pedan ticks that box IMO. Both have to clear waivers ...I think you'd get Biega through but some one will pick up Pedan ....nad he's a player you certainly don't want the opposition to ice against you :rolleyes:Mind you I thought to get down to the roster last year you had a better chance of getting Cracknell through waivers than Corrado ... but hey what the heck do I know :lol:  Frankly if Biega is picked up good for him but this year we're not short of call ups

1 hour ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Biega is clearly a better defenseman than Pedan (based upon last year alone). Not sure how training camp will work out, but one thing is for sure, Biega trained hard this summer and worked on a weakness in his game. Pedan can talk all he wants on how hard he worked this summer, but the proof will be in the exhibition games. 

I actually hope that Pedan makes the team. If he's sent down to Utica I would expect him to not be too happy (last year when he got sent back down it was so oblivious that he was just going through the motions). Biega on the other hand is a true professional and will give his normal 110% in Vancouver or Utica. I actually don't see either of them making it through waivers without being claimed. 

I'd agree that Biega was better than Pedan last season. And if I was building a team with the goal of winning games today, I'd probably put Biega in the lineup over Pedan.

But if I'm building a team for the future, I would value Pedan significantly more than Biega on upside alone. Pedan has the potential to be an impact player while Biega likely tops out as an AHL/NHL tweener who provides solid, dependable depth.

Biega is five years older than Pedan and has more the twice as many pro games under his belt. He's a known commodity at this point. And while I have tremendous respect for him and great appreciation for his contributions to this organization, he remains a "replacement level" depth defenseman in the NHL.

As far as the Canucks go, these types of players are easily acquired and easily replaced (and generally are available for "free" every year via free agency or occasionally through the waiver wire).

Pedan has a year or two of "prospect status" remaining and still has some likelihood to progress in his development and significantly improve as a player. He's also a "unique player" in that his general hockey skills (skating, shot, etc) are quite strong (if a tad unpolished) and he also brings significant size, physicality, and pugilistic ability. This is not a guy that's easily picked as a cheap free agent signing or waiver claim. 

Pedan an also has the added advantage of being Tryamkin's interpreter and "security blanket" until the big Russian learns English and becomes more acclimated to Nortg American hockey.

For all these reasons, I think Pedan merely  needs to show "adequate" ability as an NHL #8D to be the better choice to carry on the roster of a rebuilding team. And as far as waiver risk goes, I think Pedan is much more likely to be claimed (and between the two, Biega is much easier replaced if claimed).

That all said, I can fully appreciate the Utica perspective on preferring Biega and hoping he remains in the organization and clears waivers to join the Comets. He was rock solid for you guys last season and a core member of that team. This certainly wasn't the case for Pedan, who is a development "project" with an inconsistent game that carries all the "warts" implied by that label. So I'm not insensitive to the fact that the decisions the Canucks make at the bottom of their roster can directly impact the strength of the top of the roster in Utica (which is certainly the case with Biega vs. Pedan).

EDIT: looks like Fred65 beat me to the punch and has already made most of the points I was trying to make (and with far more economical language than my standard TL;DR writing style ;))

59 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd agree that Biega was better than Pedan last season. And if I was building a team with the goal of winning games today, I'd probably put Biega in the lineup over Pedan.

But if I'm building a team for the future, I would value Pedan significantly more than Biega on upside alone. Pedan has the potential to be an impact player while Biega likely tops out as an AHL/NHL tweener who provides solid, dependable depth.

Biega is five years older than Pedan and has more the twice as many pro games under his belt. He's a known commodity at this point. And while I have tremendous respect for him and great appreciation for his contributions to this organization, he remains a "replacement level" depth defenseman in the NHL.

As far as the Canucks go, these types of players are easily acquired and easily replaced (and generally are available for "free" every year via free agency or occasionally through the waiver wire).

Pedan has a year or two of "prospect status" remaining and still has some likelihood to progress in his development and significantly improve as a player. He's also a "unique player" in that his general hockey skills (skating, shot, etc) are quite strong (if a tad unpolished) and he also brings significant size, physicality, and pugilistic ability. This is not a guy that's easily picked as a cheap free agent signing or waiver claim. 

Pedan an also has the added advantage of being Tryamkin's interpreter and "security blanket" until the big Russian learns English and becomes more acclimated to Nortg American hockey.

For all these reasons, I think Pedan merely  needs to show "adequate" ability as an NHL #8D to be the better choice to carry on the roster of a rebuilding team. And as far as waiver risk goes, I think Pedan is much more likely to be claimed (and between the two, Biega is much easier replaced if claimed).

That all said, I can fully appreciate the Utica perspective on preferring Biega and hoping he remains in the organization and clears waivers to join the Comets. He was rock solid for you guys last season and a core member of that team. This certainly wasn't the case for Pedan, who is a development "project" with an inconsistent game that carries all the "warts" implied by that label. So I'm not insensitive to the fact that the decisions the Canucks make at the bottom of their roster can directly impact the strength of the top of the roster in Utica (which is certainly the case with Biega vs. Pedan).

EDIT: looks like Fred65 beat me to the punch and has already made most of the points I was trying to make (and with far more economical language than my standard TL;DR writing style ;))

Very well said. I probably am looking at this selfishly in the fact that I would love to have Biega back in Utica (remember, he was named captain at the beginning of last year, and when he got called up for good the rest of 15-16 we went without a captain for the rest of the year)

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Your points are bang on.

I would add that Biega in Utica makes sense as a mentor to the younger prospects. Utica has more talent than last year and should be a contender for a Calder Cup. Biega could solidify the d-core. Listened to his interview the other day and what a quality individual who has a real clear idea of who he is and what his prospects are in hockey. I'm hoping he moves into Canuck coaching ranks when his playing career ends.

As Green said, it's Pedan's mental game that is holding him back from an NHL role, not his skill set.  Processing situations, making decisions, knowing what he can't get away with at a higher level of play:  these were the defects Green mentioned.  This is all stuff that can be learned and whose downside can be minimized with the right partner.  Pedan clearly needs to be paired with a PMD with strong puck retrieving skills.  Gudbranson and Sbisa have a similar profile and like them, he needs to simplify his game and play a primarily defensive role until he gets the measure of the NHL game.  Plenty of offensive upside in all 3 of these guys, but it will come later in their development.

5 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

As Green said, it's Pedan's mental game that is holding him back from an NHL role, not his skill set.  Processing situations, making decisions, knowing what he can't get away with at a higher level of play:  these were the defects Green mentioned.  This is all stuff that can be learned and whose downside can be minimized with the right partner.  Pedan clearly needs to be paired with a PMD with strong puck retrieving skills.  Gudbranson and Sbisa have a similar profile and like them, he needs to simplify his game and play a primarily defensive role until he gets the measure of the NHL game.  Plenty of offensive upside in all 3 of these guys, but it will come later in their development.

Solid points.

Pedan often reminds me of Edler in this regard (other than his fighting ability). Like Edler, Pedan gets into some trouble when he does too much or overcomplicates his game. And he needs the right defensive partner to really be successful.

Of course, Edler was way further along the curve than Pedan at the same age, and Edler is a higher quality version of this player type (again minus the fighting), but the similarities, both physically and in skillset, remains striking IMO.

One also has to wonder where Pedan might be at this stage if he'd started out in a system like Edler did with Manitoba and Vancouver, versus being something of a depth casualty in New York, and also also having some early injury issues. There's no doubt Pedan's development was set back a few years due to these complications.

But he remains a physical specimen gifted with strong natural skating ability and a heavy shot. And his puck skills are very good. Pedan really has a very full toolbox but has been guilty at times of breaking out the fancy tools when the basic set might serve him better.

Once he can master the basics and learn to play a simpler, more contained game, there will be plenty of time to bring out those higher level skills when the opportunities present themselves.

This all comes down to good coaching and development and I think Pedan is receiving that now. I suspect he didn't get the attention he needed early on in his pro career and so part of the "project" with Pedan has been breaking him down, focusing on fundamentals, and then eventually freeing him up to fully exploit his full compliment of skills and abilities (which much like Edler are best utilized in a complimentary offensive role versus being the primary play driver).

42 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Solid points.

Pedan often reminds me of Edler in this regard (other than his fighting ability). Like Edler, Pedan gets into some trouble when he does too much or overcomplicates his game. And he needs the right defensive partner to really be successful.

Of course, Edler was way further along the curve than Pedan at the same age, and Edler is a higher quality version of this player type (again minus the fighting), but the similarities, both physically and in skillset, remains striking IMO.

One also has to wonder where Pedan might be at this stage if he'd started out in a system like Edler did with Manitoba and Vancouver, versus being something of a depth casualty in New York, and also also having some early injury issues. There's no doubt Pedan's development was set back a few years due to these complications.

But he remains a physical specimen gifted with strong natural skating ability and a heavy shot. And his puck skills are very good. Pedan really has a very full toolbox but has been guilty at times of breaking out the fancy tools when the basic set might serve him better.

Once he can master the basics and learn to play a simpler, more contained game, there will be plenty of time to bring out those higher level skills when the opportunities present themselves.

This all comes down to good coaching and development and I think Pedan is receiving that now. I suspect he didn't get the attention he needed early on in his pro career and so part of the "project" with Pedan has been breaking him down, focusing on fundamentals, and then eventually freeing him up to fully exploit his full compliment of skills and abilities (which much like Edler are best utilized in a complimentary offensive role versus being the primary play driver).

Very much agreed. So Edler becomes one more guy in this category:  we really do have a formula going here.  Even if Pedan is still a project, he would never make it through waivers with his skill set, and is not someone I'd want to see playing against us. 

Pedan continues to be one of my favourite prospects/call-ups.  Hope he has a strong camp and makes Benning think twice about putting him on waivers (doubtful he will clear, as others have noted).   Defenseman continue to improve right up until their early thirties, and this guy has the pedigree to be an impact player.  His toughness is at a higher level than Try, and his reach is almost as impressive.  Imagine our line-up, with each defensive pairings having a guy that can clear the net, win battles in the corners, and not let other teams push us around anymore.   Great injury replacement for either Guddy or Try, and with some luck he will still be in our prospect pool this year and hopefully improvements force him into our line-up.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton- Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin

Pedan

This will be our Defence this season I cant see them losing either Tryamkin (KHL) or Pedan (waivers) for nothing. There is a very good chance that Biega makes it through waivers hes a dime a dozen guy the only leg up he has on most dime a dozen guys is he is a R-Shot.

36 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton- Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin

Pedan

This will be our Defence this season I cant see them losing either Tryamkin (KHL) or Pedan (waivers) for nothing. There is a very good chance that Biega makes it through waivers hes a dime a dozen guy the only leg up he has on most dime a dozen guys is he is a R-Shot.

Biega is the odd man out. He's a journeyman. A very good depth guy, but it wouldn't be a huge loss. Losing Tryamkin and Pedan would be bigger losses in my opinion, and wouldn't do Benning and Co., any favors after they've lost other players without retaining anything (i.e. Hamhuis, Vrbata, etc)

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Biega reminds me of Baumgartner Mr Utility man. Good everywhere he goes.Glad we have him for insurance call up.

yep. good depth guy. some of the rookies can learn from him with regards to his intensity. but when you've been trying to get to the NHL for so long and finally made it (like Biega did last season). you never take the moment or the experience for granted. he's also on the older side at what. 26 or 27? 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Solid points.

Very much so with Edler, where when he plays instinctually and has a partner who can help with the level of risk required he's that defender we all hoped would be up near the Norris candidates. Pedan doesn't have that level as you say but could benefit from playing instinctually, albeit with a lower level of risk. If he just plays physical and smart defensively, and then doesn't overthink breakouts or outlet passes then he'll do well. Hopefully that's well enough to be useful at the NHL level, but you're right that he has the skillset to be a good player and can offer more than Biega in the near future.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 10:37 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the Canucks are focused on the future (which I hope) then your point of his up side is my thoughts exactly but the point of his translating I find even more important. Mr. T will benefit so much from having the small details explained in his language that the canucks would just lose too much if Pedan was lost on waivers. As well remember that Pedan's first NHL game was as a fourth line winger, it looks like Linden agrees with some old Pat Quin concepts like multiple centers on each line and having extra D men while sometimes deploying them for size on the wing. I would be very disappointed if Pedan is not on our roster.

On September 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM, CanuckinEdm said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton- Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin

Pedan

Unless Stetcher makes it impossible to send him down;). 

2 hours ago, Dragonass said:

If the Canucks are focused on the future (which I hope) then your point of his up side is my thoughts exactly but the point of his translating I find even more important. Mr. T will benefit so much from having the small details explained in his language that the canucks would just lose too much if Pedan was lost on waivers. As well remember that Pedan's first NHL game was as a fourth line winger, it looks like Linden agrees with some old Pat Quin concepts like multiple centers on each line and having extra D men while sometimes deploying them for size on the wing. I would be very disappointed if Pedan is not on our roster.

Larsen played a few years in the KHL, he may have some language skills. 

31 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Larsen played a few years in the KHL, he may have some language skills. 

Tryamkin's English is probably already better than Larsen's Russian. Doubt Larsen offers much value as an English-Russian translator.

Larsen only played one season for a team actually located in Russia. And it's likely the international players on that team had a Russian-English translator (plus many of the Russian players would be able to speak some English). The other season was for Jokerit (based in Helsinki, Finland--and Jokerit had a very Scandinavian dominated roster), where many of the players likely solved any language barriers by communicating in English or Swedish (since Finns learn Swedish in school).

I'm sure Larsen picked up some Russian basics over his two KHL seasons but I'd expect the stuff he could actually translate would be pretty basic and similar to what Tryamkin already understands in English.

I really like Pedan, and he has a very intriguing skill set.

I watched him four times at Ricoh Colesium in Toronto last season and got a good look at his game. 

He skates really well, hits hard, and can really wire the puck. Very imposing presence on the ice. That said, he needs to play more like Willie Mitchell and less like Ed Jovanovski. He isn't particularly agile, yet he tries to go end to end with the puck at times. If he can simplify his game and rely on his shot to generate points I think he could be a very solid 2nd pairing dman one day. 

Archived