The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

10 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I really hope Pedan is able to push his way into the roster this year. I feel like this year could be a now or never for him. The situation is very preferable for Pedan this year. With the high probability of loosing Sbisa in the expansion draft and Tryamkin to his family, we are loosing a physical presence in the back end. Pedan can hopefully step up and fill out the back end. We don't have alot of grit on the backend past Guddy. This guy seems to have all the tools, the question is whether or not he can put them together and crack the NHL roster. I have a good feeling about him this year playing some games for the canucks. One would have to think that he is a early injury call up if our D core stays intact and we aren't filling gaps in the starting roster. 

In my mind he's a guaranteed #7 D for us next season. My guess is Juolevi and Pedan both make it.

Edler-Stetcher

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Pedan-Biega

Assuming no trades but if there is a trade Id like to see another UFA signing like Kulikov or Del Zotto.

25 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

In my mind he's a guaranteed #7 D for us next season. My guess is Juolevi and Pedan both make it.

Edler-Stetcher

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Pedan-Biega

Assuming no trades but if there is a trade Id like to see another UFA signing like Kulikov or Del Zotto.

We also have Holm playing for a spot

40 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

We also have Holm playing for a spot

Yep but he can go straight down to UTICA without clearing waivers so my guess is he starts there and is called up with injuries. Also my guess is at least one of our D are traded this offseason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, apollo said:

Will he have to clear waivers again this year? 

Really hoping he makes the big squad. 

Yes he will. 

Doubtful. He's got Hutton, Wiercioch, 200 lb Juolevi, McEneny and Holm all fighting for 1 or 2 spots. 

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes he will. 

Doubtful. He's got Hutton, Wiercioch, 200 lb Juolevi, McEneny and Holm all fighting for 1 or 2 spots. 

Yea... just had a look at who we have locked up. Assuming Biega gets waived... which I don't think is a guarantee... since he's a major gamer and will be coming into camp strong... there's really no way we don't see Andrey on waivers. 

The below doesn't even include OJ, McEneny and Holm which you mentioned. Hope we don't lose him on waivers. 

Edler, Alexander NTC LD NHL 31 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
UFA

Tanev, Christopher M-NTC RD NHL 27 $4,450,000 $4,450,000 $4,450,000
UFA

Gudbranson, Erik   RD NHL 25 $3,500,000
UFA

Del Zotto, Michael   LD NHL 27 $3,000,000 $3,000,000
UFA

Hutton, Ben   LD NHL 24 $2,800,000 $2,800,000
arbh.svgRFA

Stecher, Troy ELC RD NHL 23 $925,000
RFA

Biega, Alex   RD NHL 29 $750,000
UFA

Wiercioch, Patrick   LD NHL 26 $650,000
UFA

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Yea... just had a look at who we have locked up. Assuming Biega gets waived... which I don't think is a guarantee... since he's a major gamer and will be coming into camp strong... there's really no way we don't see Andrey on waivers. 

The below doesn't even include OJ, McEneny and Holm which you mentioned. Hope we don't lose him on waivers. 

UFA

UFA

UFA

UFA

arbh.svgRFA

RFA

UFA

UFA

I think #7/8D right side is either Biega or McEneny.

Wiercioch is #7/8D left side to lose. Juolevi will be gunning for Hutton's spot in the top 6 or back to London/Europe.

Holm in Utica because he can without waivers.

I don't see where Pedan leap frogs many (any?) of those guys. Waivers, hopefully to Utica.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

UFA

UFA

UFA

UFA

arbh.svgRFA

RFA

UFA

UFA

There is not a line-up of other teams trying to grab players who cannot make the cut for a 29th place team.   Remember to claim someone, you yourself have to likely waive someone so it isn't the worry in the CAP world it once was.   Think back to Corrado, once claimed how much did he play for Leafs and ultimately what happened to him?   Teams are not making as many claims anymore it seems for that very reason.   If there is a bottom 7/8 swap then isn't it a bit of "so what"?

• 1 month later...
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

@J.R. so i don't get the "meh" for Pedan? decent speed, tough, hits, etc. and defensively really in the 7/8 spot he's adequate no? 

Between McEneny and Pedan, which has more upside?  I think that's McEneny.  Pedan will be a fringe NHLer, so no big loss if he's claimed on waivers.  McEneny would be a big loss for our future core. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Between McEneny and Pedan, which has more upside?  I think that's McEneny.  Pedan will be a fringe NHLer, so no big loss if he's claimed on waivers.  McEneny would be a big loss for our future core. 

true but thats not an issue with McE, we can't lose him to waivers this year thankfully. It would be Biega vs Pedan. Biega's been fine but don't we need Pedans size and toughness more?

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true but thats not an issue with McE, we can't lose him to waivers this year thankfully. It would be Biega vs Pedan. Biega's been fine but don't we need Pedans size and toughness more?

I thought McEneny was a waiver guy too.  Glad to hear he's free to go to Utica.  I much prefer Pedan to Biega.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@J.R. so i don't get the "meh" for Pedan? decent speed, tough, hits, etc. and defensively really in the 7/8 spot he's adequate no? 

Every team has at least one #8D prospect who is *ahem* 'adequate'.

Would I prefer he clears? Yes. Am I going to lose sleep if he doesn't? No. 

And IMO, he clears. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Pedan is going to become anything, he needs to play. That's not going to happen as 8 D.

Biega had more NHL experience, is a natural righty (needed), can pinch in at forward and generally fits the 8d role FAR better. 

I don't think Pedan's size is as much an edge as you're thinking. Biega makes a lot of hits and even if he doesn't have the same level of fighting ability, that's offset by his dependability. By no means is Pedan a lock if he can't provide more than size.

43 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If Pedan is going to become anything, he needs to play. That's not going to happen as 8 D.

Biega had more NHL experience, is a natural righty (needed), can pinch in at forward and generally fits the 8d role FAR better. 

And he can play W in a pinch as well.

Archived