The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 on 3 obviously is not suiting us

canuck_forever

I knew from the start of the year we would not be successful in the new format. I'm not a huge fan of it regardless of my bias. I have no enjoyed watching us give up leads and getting scored on in OT, (although those are separate issues). Is it just a matter of finishing games and not being as quick ass our opponents? These lost points are going to start adding up, the team needs to adress this...

I feel like it was the part that let the game get to 3 on 3 that didn't suit us

As a side note is it time for the Canucks to try and play keep away and get to the shootout? I don't want to see us take bad shots and then get beat down the ice again.

I knew the Sedins would struggle with it. We don't have many north-south type players, and that's what 3-o-3 lends itself too. Also, we don't have any real dynamic defencemen who can rack up points and quaterback a rush the way Subban and Karsslon can. We were destined to fail in the 3-on-3 which is why I think WD should consider some new looks.

I thought McCann looked great 3-on-3 with Hansen, lets see what McCann and Vbrata can do together.

It's Willie, Hes an absolute moron in 3 on 3.... My dead Grandmother could coach this team better in 3on3, Higgins, Hamhuis and weber all on the ice? What was going on in his brain????

Hey calm down!  Why put a direct attack on the coach?  What would you do instead? 

"Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called WHINING" Teddy Roosevelt

I knew the Sedins would struggle with it. We don't have many north-south type players, and that's what 3-o-3 lends itself too. Also, we don't have any real dynamic defencemen who can rack up points and quaterback a rush the way Subban and Karsslon can. We were destined to fail in the 3-on-3 which is why I think WD should consider some new looks.

I thought McCann looked great 3-on-3 with Hansen, lets see what McCann and Vbrata can do together.

Willie has it in his head that Vrbata and Horvat should play together because at the beginning of the season they wanted to play together. While I don't think they are that bad together, they have had no results either.  Wanting to play together is a place to start but strategy has to evolve when it comes to matching players.  I agree, McCann and Vrbata might work.  McCann looked as dynamic as anybody on either team 3 on 3.

Not one to typically agree with your a majority of your posts but this one hits the nail on the head. I firmly believe Willie is out if his element on this one. I mean, you can only do so much with what you have but putting two mediocre defenceman and a bottom 6 forward out on 3 on 3 speaks volume of where his coaching tactics stand. Weber should not be on the ice period during 3 on 3 as he is prone to mental lapses and wtf is Higgins doing out there? All this speed and skill with the kids yet he resorts to hunches and his 'dependable vets' to get the job done. Funny thing is he's 0 for 6. 

I feel like it was the part that let the game get to 3 on 3 that didn't suit us

As a side note is it time for the Canucks to try and play keep away and get to the shootout? I don't want to see us take bad shots and then get beat down the ice again.

I don't know what Higgins was thinking, 10 feet away from crease and the dude still hits it wide. Those kind of brain dead plays is what costing the team games. Then the other Montreal player shoots from 30 feet away and gets a goal since he was aiming at the goal instead of trying to pick a spot at the corner and miss by a wide margin.

Not one to typically agree with your a majority of your posts but this one hits the nail on the head. I firmly believe Willie is out if his element on this one. I mean, you can only do so much with what you have but putting two mediocre defenceman and a bottom 6 forward out on 3 on 3 speaks volume of where his coaching tactics stand. Weber should not be on the ice period during 3 on 3 as he is prone to mental lapses and wtf is Higgins doing out there? All this speed and skill with the kids yet he resorts to hunches and his 'dependable vets' to get the job done. Funny thing is he's 0 for 6. 

Funny thing is that it takes him so many lost games to finally figure it out just like he kind of figured out that the 1st PP wasn't working after going 0 for 30 or something. He just seems too slow when it comes to adjustments. 

Funny thing is that it takes him so many lost games to finally figure it out just like he kind of figured out that the 1st PP wasn't working after going 0 for 30 or something. He just seems too slow when it comes to adjustments. 

From what I've gathered the last season and a a quarter Willie is a play it safe coach and is not willing to make bold, high risk high reward decisions. He's not a rookie coach anymore and although some of his stuff works the stuff that isn't working is absolutely killing the Canucks right now. Poor choices with who to ice at critical times and not mixing up the PP is costing points in the standings. I know the Canucks aren't the most stacked team but the good coaches will make the best with what they have and find a way to make it work. What's frustrating as a fan is how this team is losing, continuously finding ways to blow 3rd period leads and finding zero ways to clutch up. Can't blame it all on the coach as the players have to be held accountable too but my god this is brutal to watch.

From what I've gathered the last season and a a quarter Willie is a play it safe coach and is not willing to make bold, high risk high reward decisions. He's not a rookie coach anymore and although some of his stuff works the stuff that isn't working is absolutely killing the Canucks right now. Poor choices with who to ice at critical times and not mixing up the PP is costing points in the standings. I know the Canucks aren't the most stacked team but the good coaches will make the best with what they have and find a way to make it work. What's frustrating as a fan is how this team is losing, continuously finding ways to blow 3rd period leads and finding zero ways to clutch up. Can't blame it all on the coach as the players have to be held accountable too but my god this is brutal to watch.

I don't have a problem with being a 'safe' coach for regulation time..but 3 on 3 is totally different .

You have to play a high risk ,high reward game..Get your fastest offensive players out there..Hansen,Vrby,McCann,Baer..

The Sedins and Horvat look slow out there for 3 on 3...IMO

Its worth a try..because whatever were doing now..isn't .

We're 0-6 because of our  coach. There's really no other excuse.

He still doesn't understand the strength and weaknesses of his players. Or maybe it's just stubborness.

To put out two d-men in 3-on-3 just shows how little he understands this format. Instead of going for it, he's trying to play D until he can get the Sedins out again. You can't play D in 3-on-3!

Meanwhile he refuses to put out our speedy skilled players like Baertschi, Virtanen, and Shinkaruk. He needs to look around the league and see that smaller skilled guys, and guys with speed are the guys having success in 3-on-3.

Archived