The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeff Paterson & Matt Baker - Let Go From 1040

Brendan Gaunce

What a joke that they got rid of these two guys. Jeff was super knowledgeable and extremely passionate about hockey, gonna miss his post-game shows. 

http://www.straight.com/blogra/578976/jeff-paterson-forced-sign-canucks-radio-broadcasts

d369e2c77e7c2f8b7a1806758615c3b5.png

A man with an encyclopedic mind for sports statistics is no longer going to be a presence on TSN 1040.

"In hockey terms, I'm an unrestricted free agent," Paterson tweeted to his 15,500 followers. "In real life, I'm unemployed."

The former Straight sports columnist revealed that he was "one of many told by Bell Media/TSN1040 that our services were no longer required".

"Sure, I'm angry and confused, but most of all I'm saddened," Paterson wrote. "Being on the frontline covering the Canucks on a daily basis was a dream job."

He was in this position for more than 15 seasons, first with CKNW Radio and later with TSN 1040.

41a1c61accf3e992d5a63e493610316b.png

Paterson's departure from the station is already being mourned by his fans, friends, and colleagues over Twitter.

The Vancouver Sun's Iain MacIntyre tweeted "Brutal day, Jeff, what all of us of a certain age fear. It won't define you. Your body of work is too good and vast."

More messages offering similar sentiments can be read here.

1 minute ago, Quoted said:

Yes, hard to understand getting rid of Paterson while keeping those two cretinous, dated, horrible dinosaurs.

They're so incredibly bad. I feel sorry for the people that they interview on their morning show because it's cringe-worthy.

I used to cringe at Patterson's over the top radio voice. However, in the last few years he has improved to the point of him being one of my favorites. He calls it like it is. I was wondering if he might get the axe though for being too critical of the Canucks (see Tom Larschied). If this is the reason, then it seems either JB is doing his best MG form of control or it stems from Aqua Loonie. Just another casualty in house radio for ruffling the feathers?

5 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

I used to cringe at Patterson's over the top radio voice. However, in the last few years he has improved to the point of him being one of my favorites. He calls it like it is. I was wondering if he might get the axe though for being too critical of the Canucks (see Tom Larschied). If this is the reason, then it seems either JB is doing his best MG form of control or it stems from Aqua Loonie. Just another casualty in house radio for ruffling the feathers?

If you get past his voice (which is better than it used to be), his coverage is quite good (and excellent when compared to some others).

What the hell?

Paterson was their best on-air personality, hands down.  He was actually interested in sports.  I guess 1040 picked up on this as well, and since that is against their policy, it should be no surprise that they got rid of him.

If Paterson had wanted to keep his job, he needed to talk about his favorite foods, and which female celebrities he would and wouldn't sleep with.  Guess he learned too late.

Horrible, Cam Mitchell got let go too, as did Perry Solkowski on CTV. Matt Baker is a great guy, have hung out with him a bunch of times, very knowledgable about sports, knows them inside out, he shouldn't have a problem IMO getting something in the future. Jeff Paterson has been a voice I've become accustomed to for almost 10 years, he had a certain way going about his business and it was unique, don't understand these moves today, as a regular listener to their shows today sucks 

I didn't mind Paterson because he wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

The clowns in Toronto have no clue what this market likes. If they did, as others have mentioned, the geriatrics on the morning show would not be on the air. 

Now that the Lions are done, wouldn't be surprised to see Rintool in that seat. But if they put Moj there, God help us all.

Archived