The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Men (and women?) - Beard growth and itchiness

-AJ-

Facial Hair and Itchiness  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been noticing some trends relating to beard growth and itchiness of the face when starting to grow a beard. I have several friends who claim they won't grow out their facial hair because it itches like crazy. For whatever reason, I don't have this at all. After asking my friends and family, it seems as though I'm the only person I know that doesn't get an itchy face when growing. I decided to take it to CDC to see if I really am the odd one out here. Does your face itch when you grow out your facial hair?

As a brown person with naturally hairy genetics I can confirm that itchiness and beard growth is real..

I sometimes get a rash and redness from the itch. 

I really start noticing when I begin to resemble the "terrorist look" lol.. not even a protruding beard but heavy stubble that looks like pubes on my face.. I can't grow a proper beard without having curly strands on my face.

I guess it depends on how sensitive your skin is and what the texture of your facial hair is.

I like to grow out my beard for the winter and my brother recently found that he has a skin condition that acts up when he grows facial hair, so he doesn't let it get long, so that's why this came to my mind.

I don't grow a beard because it grows in this pattern that makes me look like a civil war general. However my friends with beards say using conditioner (regular ol' hair conditioner) helps stop the itch. 

Also maybe it keeps your beard more luxurious or something too. 

Or maybe its maybelline.

Either way its worth a shot.

Been growing my beard out since last Movember and still going strong. Itched like crazy for a couple weeks, then started using hair conditioner on it in the shower and went away almost immediately, you can also use some beard oil to soften it for when the conditioner wears out, never tried the oil yet though as its pricey. The way I looked at it, is that its the right of passage of being a man, get through the tough part at the start, and you will be rewarded with a manly beard. ;)  

Itching is very normal, typically happens during the early stages of beard growth...for myself I've always found the 3-4 week period the most itchy, the problem I've always had is my moustache area growing out to a point where it starts to curl into my lips & mouth a bit.

Facial hair, as with most body hair, definitely benefits from grooming every now & again.

Archived