The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Two teams discussing trading for Bernier

elvis15

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/as-bernier-struggles-reimer-takes-over-as-maple-leafs-no-1/

At least he has the benefit of time to rediscover his form. Bernier elected to sign an $8.3-million, two-year deal with the Leafs in August rather than waiting for a one year arbitrator's award that would have made him an unrestricted free agent after this season.

His future is still somewhat uncertain -- two rival NHL teams have recently had internal discussions about trying to acquire him via trade, according to league sources -- but all Bernier is worried about is playing better.

"Just take practice like it's a game and that's how you build your confidence, especially when you're not playing a lot," said Bernier. "Obviously James has been playing very good so he's going to be playing for a while.

"For me to make sure I'm ready for the next game that's what I've got to do."

The article specifically notes two rival teams, so it'd seem like a big deal to make within the division. There are teams interested in a goalie perhaps, but not so much that I can think of in their division. Montreal certainly doesn't, and Boston/Ottawa/Detroit and even Florida don't make a lot of sense. Maybe Buffalo, who has the cap space and even if Ullmark has been good could maybe use a bigger presence there? Or in the conference, like with the Islanders if they wanted to move on from Halak?

9 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

When they say rivals do they mean 2 teams rivals with each other or two teams that are rivals of the Leafs?

That's possible perhaps, instead of rivals of the Leafs. I just assumed it meant the latter.

39 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I suppose there are a few teams that could use a backup goalie.

Doubt the Leafs would get anything close to what they paid to get him though.

I believe all the Leafs gave up was a 2nd round pick and Matt "freaking" Frattin...so, wouldn't exactly be hard to come close to matching that haha

50 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I suppose there are a few teams that could use a backup goalie.

Doubt the Leafs would get anything close to what they paid to get him though.

Nobody wants a $4M back up goalie. He should have waited until he was a UFA and cashed in then.

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Bernier - solidly in my top 20 most overrated players in the league. 

Good luck to whomever is after him.  Hopefully it's a team in the west so he makes them weaker.

made to look pretty stellar by the Los Angeles kings defence. Kinda like Ben Scrivens?

You're being a touch dramatic (like a TSN reporter in Toronto) though, he's actually not terrible. Definitely better than Reimer. But still a supremely overrated player.

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Is the sky blue?

Kidding aside it looks as though Talbot is becoming Edmonton's back up goalie lol.

It seems every goalie they've had has become worse by playing there - that is until they play somewhere else (i.e. Dubnyk). So maybe it's not the goalies?

Archived