The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Like Gillis and Luongo!

(Okay... maybe that would be little too extreme of an example lol)

That had the added issues of everyone knowing we had cap issues and that the goalie market SUCKED. The D market almost never sucks. Gillis really f'd himself there...but hey, we got Bo B)

19 minutes ago, Zerox said:

From Eklund.

A text from a reliable source...

"Hamonic, Okposo, prospects(one major D prospect) and #1 for Ryan Johansen and a #2. The Jackets would then move Hamonic on to Calgary..."

3 way trade??

Eklund.

That is all.

29 minutes ago, Zerox said:

From Eklund.

"Hamonic, Okposo, prospects(one major D prospect) and #1 for Ryan Johansen and a #2. The Jackets would then move Hamonic on to Calgary..."

3 way trade??

That is way too much for Johansen.  He is good and worth a package, but a #1 from Columbus is almost certainly a lottery pick, and a good shot at being 1st overall.  That on its own is serious business, but Hamonic, Okposo, and a blue chip prospect as well?  Way too much.

What D moves out of Calgary to make room on the roster for Hamonic?

On November 24, 2015 at 5:01:51 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

@NicholsOnHockey: Friedman: There are some GMs out there who would freely admit privately they wouldn't be as good to Hamonic as Snow is being. #Isles 1/2

@NicholsOnHockey: Friedman: "Apparently Snow is taking real pains to get this kid to somewhere he wants to go." #Isles #Hamonic 2/2

Well i hope Benning is low balling LOL. But good on Snow for accomendating Hamonics needs. I'm sure it givebe him some bonus points with UFA's

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is way too much for Johansen.  He is good and worth a package, but a #1 from Columbus is almost certainly a lottery pick, and a good shot at being 1st overall.  That on its own is serious business, but Hamonic, Okposo, and a blue chip prospect as well?  Way too much.

The way I read it is a 4 for 2 piece trade.  The #1 belongs to the Islanders.  The #2 belongs to the Jackets.  Lets just say the picks could be 20 or less apart.

Still, I agree that it is a bit rich for Johansen.  It is beyond me why Columbus would move him at all. 

I guess I could sort of see why NYI would want to trade Okposo away. He is injury prone and not the most defensive minded (albeit neither is Johansen from what I understand. He's also 27 compared with Johansen being 22.

A first rounder with that though?...

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The way I read it is a 4 for 2 piece trade.  The #1 belongs to the Islanders.  The #2 belongs to the Jackets.  Lets just say the picks could be 20 or less apart.

Still, I agree that it is a bit rich for Johansen.  It is beyond me why Columbus would move him at all. 

Actually the picks are likely to be

38 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, I totally pooched that one up.  You are absolutely right.

Still an overpayment but not as horrifically so.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Johansen is a match up problem for every team he faces. A guy with the potential to be an all star 5 or 6 times in his career.

Its not a serious overpayment; depending on what that major prospect is?

I also readily suggest Columbus should play kiss and make up with him. Losing him will be a blow that sets them back years. Who is going to take over 1C?

11 hours ago, Zerox said:

From Eklund.

3 way trade??

Lol.  Why would anyone yell out an Eklund rumour?

"reliable" and "from Eklund" is as oxymoronic as it gets.

Not sure why Benning isn't going all out for Hamonic. Perfect fit like I've said before. Age fits perfectly with Tanev's, Hutton's and Sbisa's. We need righties. We need defensive-first, shutdown guys to play with puck movers like Hutton and Subban who are coming up in our future, in particular Hutton needs a solid partner. Hamonic would have the same effect on Hutton that Mitchell did on Bieksa and Tanev on Edler.

Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd for Hamonic + late pick

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure why Benning isn't going all out for Hamonic. Perfect fit like I've said before. Age fits perfectly with Tanev's, Hutton's and Sbisa's. We need righties. We need defensive-first, shutdown guys to play with puck movers like Hutton and Subban who are coming up in our future, in particular Hutton needs a solid partner. Hamonic would have the same effect on Hutton that Mitchell did on Bieksa and Tanev on Edler.

Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd for Hamonic + late pick

Why would Snow want that package? Hamhuis is a pending UFA who already showed teams last time that he will sign where he wants to not where he is traded to necessarily. Higgins is (apparently and very sadly) considered a Canuck for life by our management even though he shouldn't be.

Every other western canadian team can and likely will offer a better package than that. It's hard to call that Benning going "all out" for Hamonic

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why would Snow want that package? Hamhuis is a pending UFA who already showed teams last time that he will sign where he wants to not where he is traded to necessarily. Higgins is (apparently and very sadly) considered a Canuck for life by our management even though he shouldn't be.

Every other western canadian team can and likely will offer a better package than that. It's hard to call that Benning going "all out" for Hamonic

In terms of current play I'd say Hamonic and Hamhuis are pretty damn close. They're both fantastic top-4 defencemen, Hamonic has played on their top pairing at times and is far more physical but defensively they're pretty similar. So essentially NYI lose nothing for the rest of the season.

Then they get Higgins who's the type of player everyone wants. People undervalue this guy but a gritty 3rd line PKer like him will go for a lot around playoff time. I hope he's not considered untouchable because we've got kids who can replace his role next year, in particular Brendan Gaunce. We've got to trade these veterans at the right time. I believe we got the best of Higgins, now he's on a downslide, and we've got the kids ready to replace him NOW so now is the perfect time to move Higgins.

Not to mention a 2nd round pick which may well be quite high, in the 40s, of a deep draft. That covers future loss of Hamonic. You've got to remember that the Islanders are ready for a playoff push now, and Hamhuis and Higgins are playoff warriors with more playoff experience than most of that NYI team.

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In terms of current play I'd say Hamonic and Hamhuis are pretty damn close. They're both fantastic top-4 defencemen, Hamonic has played on their top pairing at times and is far more physical but defensively they're pretty similar. So essentially NYI lose nothing for the rest of the season.

Then they get Higgins who's the type of player everyone wants. People undervalue this guy but a gritty 3rd line PKer like him will go for a lot around playoff time. I hope he's not considered untouchable because we've got kids who can replace his role next year, in particular Brendan Gaunce. We've got to trade these veterans at the right time. I believe we got the best of Higgins, now he's on a downslide, and we've got the kids ready to replace him NOW so now is the perfect time to move Higgins.

Not to mention a 2nd round pick which may well be quite high, in the 40s, of a deep draft. That covers future loss of Hamonic. You've got to remember that the Islanders are ready for a playoff push now, and Hamhuis and Higgins are playoff warriors with more playoff experience than most of that NYI team.

So is Higgins what everyone wants, or is he on the downslide? Not sure those two attributes go hand in hand.

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

It'll get done between the Isles and Jets, just a matter of who blinks first. Isles want Trouba, Jets understandably don't want to go there. Jets want to trade Buff, Isles understandably don't want to go there.

The likely compromise is Myers for Hamonic. But Snow will, smartly, see if he can get Chevy to blink first and end up moving Trouba.

Just now, Monty said:

It'll get done between the Isles and Jets, just a matter of who blinks first. Isles want Trouba, Jets understandably don't want to go there. Jets want to trade Buff, Isles understandably don't want to go there.

The likely compromise is Myers for Hamonic. But Snow will, smartly, see if he can get Chevy to blink first and end up moving Trouba.

Or Snow will compromise and ask for a forward instead from one of CGY, Edmonton or Jets. RHed top-4 defensemen are a tough commodity and Trouba's ceiling is high. 

I also think he'll end up on the Jets, but I don't really see Trouba going the other way unless Snow adds more in some way. 

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Or Snow will compromise and ask for a forward instead from one of CGY, Edmonton or Jets. RHed top-4 defensemen are a tough commodity and Trouba's ceiling is high. 

I also think he'll end up on the Jets, but I don't really see Trouba going the other way unless Snow adds more in some way. 

Potential/Ceiling is a dangerous word. We can all talk about a prospects Ceilling/Potential but in reality it's more of a "what have you done" league opposed to a "what could you do for us" league

7 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Pending UFA so basically the Islander could be left with squat if they don't sign Byfuglien. If he had another 2 years on his contract I would take that

I think if Buff had another 2 years left, the Isles would be adding more than just Hamonic for his services.

Archived