The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

Sounds like Winnipeg were offering Byfuglien straight up. Hamonic is currently playing top pairing minutes, he'd cost a fortune. We don't have a quality player we can swap straight up for him, so I think we'll have to go into this deal with a similar mindset to the Kesler trade - give them back a replacement defenceman (eg. Bonino as part of the Kesler deal) PLUS value to make up the difference. In Kesler's case it was a depth player of the opposite position and a 1st. Sadly I think that's what Hamonic will now cost us, but after that rediculous Anaheim loss, that's what we need to do.

TO NYI: Hamhuis + Higgins/Burrows/Hansen + 1st

TO VAN: Hamonic + 3rd or later

Sounds like a lot, that 1st rounder will be a high pick at this rate, but Hamonic fits the bill perfectly. We could draft a defenceman with our 1st rounder who won't be ready for at least 3-5 years, or we could get Hamonic who fits with our young, early-20s core better.

All we need to do then is sign a depth defenceman, keep Bartkowski as the 7th man and finally our defence is a bit more respectable.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like Winnipeg were offering Byfuglien straight up. Hamonic is currently playing top pairing minutes, he'd cost a fortune. We don't have a quality player we can swap straight up for him, so I think we'll have to go into this deal with a similar mindset to the Kesler trade - give them back a replacement defenceman (eg. Bonino as part of the Kesler deal) PLUS value to make up the difference. In Kesler's case it was a depth player of the opposite position and a 1st. Sadly I think that's what Hamonic will now cost us, but after that rediculous Anaheim loss, that's what we need to do.

TO NYI: Hamhuis + Higgins/Burrows/Hansen + 1st

TO VAN: Hamonic + 3rd or later

Sounds like a lot, that 1st rounder will be a high pick at this rate, but Hamonic fits the bill perfectly. We could draft a defenceman with our 1st rounder who won't be ready for at least 3-5 years, or we could get Hamonic who fits with our young, early-20s core better.

All we need to do then is sign a depth defenceman, keep Bartkowski as the 7th man and finally our defence is a bit more respectable.

This would be awesome, but if we don't want hammer, why the hell would the NY Islanders?

Could you imagine if we traded say, Chris Tanev for like Denis Wideman and some other redundant player we are overflowing with? 

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

This would be awesome, but if we don't want hammer, why the hell would the NY Islanders?

Could you imagine if we traded say, Chris Tanev for like Denis Wideman and some other redundant player we are overflowing with? 

5 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

DUC actually makes some sense here.

hammer probably isn't their first choice but if they have to deal Hamonic then Hamhuis isn't s bad return, especially with our first rounder included. 

I still think it`s possible to make something work with Hammer but we'd have to 'overpay' more if it's Hammer rather than one of Edler/Tanev (who I'd also move for Hamonic FWIW). You just need to address their concerns.

Hammer (with some retained salary) + a conditional pick (2nd or 3rd, not our 1st) if he does/doesn't re-sign gets them a top 4 D to keep them competitive now. They've already got Pulock close to stepping in and Hamhuis would bridge that time frame, especially if he re-signs for ~2 years. (We can 'replace' our 2nd/3rd when we move Vrbata).

Then you add one of our D prospects (Briseboise, Subban, Pedan etc) to give them additional 'near-ready' D-depth in case Hammer walks. Or heck, Weber if they prefer him.

That's a good start IMO. From there we could add a 'B' prospect (Jensen, Grenier, Kenins etc) if we needed to sweeten further.

Then we draft a boatload of D this year (and ideally sign a top 4 UFA) to recover (improve on!) our current D depth.

Edler would actually make a lot of sense too (if he'd waive) but personally I'd want a 2nd, 3rd or 'B' prospect coming back on top of Hamonic since they're not dealing from a position of strength.

Yeah, if they won't take Byfuglien straight up as has been rumoured, then they won't accept Hamhuis plus a 1st. Maybe if that 1st is much more of a guarantee to be a top 3 pick then they'd think about it, but they need pieces now, not more prospects and a 33 year old pending UFA.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I honestly think we should offer Edler. Move Hamhuis separately for picks later. 

As much as I like Edler this team's D needs a top down reno short of Hutton and likely Sbisa.

NTC combined with Edler's desire to stay kind of says no to that.....

Just now, The Lock said:

NTC combined with Edler's desire to stay kind of says no to that.....

I know he'd prefer to stay but he's also quoted as saying that he'd consider moving/waiving if the team didn't want him here anymore.

He's a very urban guy and likes his privacy. New York would be a great city for him to enjoy urban life while blending in to the woodwork all with a decent shot at a cup. IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility he'd consider it. 

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

IMO, yes. They're not dealing from a position of strength. IMO Edler's plenty.

I don't know. If they turned down Buff already, I can see a couple of things happen....

1. The end of the season draws near and Snow finally has to accept something less than desired.

2. The lucky trade Snow's waiting for happens and Snow ends up looking great.

Just now, The Lock said:

I don't know. If they turned down Buff already, I can see a couple of things happen....

1. The end of the season draws near and Snow finally has to accept something less than desired.

2. The lucky trade Snow's waiting for happens and Snow ends up looking great.

Buff's an expiring UFA. Edler has 3.5 years more at a reasonable cap it.

I agree Snow's likely in no hurry to get anything done and will try to minimize his losses. But it's publicly known his player wants to be moved and to specifically ~5 teams. He has little bargaining power beyond that Hamonic is a good player and he doesn't have an overly forced timeline.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler, Cassels Jensen fine.

No first!

I HOPE JB would be all over this, providing (as you say) no first. Then sign Lucic and Bufuglin in July, and we no longer are so weak in our top minute guys.  We looked horribly soft against the Ducks.  

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

While true if they do lose him, they apparently can't trade him for Hamonic so it'd mean also losing one of Myers or Trouba from their right side so they don't gain any extra RHD in that situation.

If NYI doesn't change path, that's true. But they might. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler, Cassels Jensen fine.

No first!

Honestly Edler alone should be enough. Edler + Jensen would be gravy for them IMO but if it helped them feel like they 'won'...sure.

They want Cassels too, I want Hamonic plus a 2nd coming back.

Archived