The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Meh, I wouldn't sell the farm for him.  Maybe Benning can work on his fleecing skills and take advantage of Snow's position of weakness.

Benning could stand to work on that, would be a good opportunity if he can do it.

I'm trying hard not to get excited about this, because we don't get these kind of players in trades. Getting Luongo was the last "Holy ****" player deal I can remember 

It says equivalent player, it doesn't say anything about it being a dman necessarily.  probably means a mid 20's player at a similar development level as hamonic.......could be d or fwd.  unless they are willing to take seasoned vets, or edler straight up, I don't see how van fits the Isles need coming back.

41 minutes ago, Yotes said:

if edler would waive it would be a fairly good deal for both. Resign hamhuis

hamhuis hamonic

hutton/sbisa tanev

not a bad top 4

I don't like this idea. Hamhuis in the top pair scares me. at this point in his career he's a  2nd pairing at best. We need Edler+Tanev.

Hope we get him, but I don't think we have the players to give up.

I think WPG or Edmonton will get Hamonic. Possibly Bufflin going the other way.

No way we can compete with what the Oilers can offer.

Not only is this guy a legit top pairing defenceman, he is also the perfect age and signed to a ludicrously low cap hit long term deal.

I don't even know what we could offer.  Obviously Hamhuis if he would waive would be attractive to a team wanting to compete in the playoffs.  Vrbata, and Higgins are solid veterans who could be part of a package.  

They would want Tanev most likely, and that kind of makes it a wash since even though he is probably a superior player, we can't be sure how Hamonic will fit into the structure and chemistry.

You can be sure JB has had several phone calls to try to gauge what it would take.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No way we can compete with what the Oilers can offer.

Not only is this guy a legit top pairing defenceman, he is also the perfect age and signed to a ludicrously low cap hit long term deal.

I don't even know what we could offer.  Obviously Hamhuis if he would waive would be attractive to a team wanting to compete in the playoffs.  Vrbata, and Higgins are solid veterans who could be part of a package.  

They would want Tanev most likely, and that kind of makes it a wash since even though he is probably a superior player, we can't be sure how Hamonic will fit into the structure and chemistry.

You can be sure JB has had several phone calls to try to gauge what it would take.

I wouldn't close the door on moving tanev for Hamonic........bit of a wash, but I've never been completely sold on tanev or edler as a top 2 d

Of the western Canadian teams, Wpg/Cal/Edm/Van, Winnipeg has Buffugly and Myers as RHD already, along with Trouba, Enstrom, Stuart, they they really have no need for Hamonic.

Calgary is having problems right now, but they ain't moving Giordano, Brodie is safe as well and they just traded for Hamilton, they round out their D with Wideman and Russell  Engelland/Smid. Doesn't make a lot of sense for Calgary to go after Hamonic.

Vancouver and Edmonton are both lacking in top 4 D and RHD, both teams could use a RHD like Hamonic  badly. If Edmonton wants him badly enough, I could see them moving one of Eberle or Yakupov.

Nurse-Hamonic

Klefbom-Sekera

Schutlz-Gryba/Reinhart

That's a vastly improved D-core for Edmonton over last years, plus every single player there is 25 or under minus Sekera.

I don't think we have the assets the right assets for hamonic but he would fit well as our number 3 guy behind edler/tanev 

hamhuis works as a vet dman on a young team on a short term replacement for hamonic

to nyi: hamhuis, shinkaruk, 2nd pick 2016

to van: hamonic

edler-tanev

sbisa-hamonic

hutton-bartkowski

weber

Just now, stawns said:

I wouldn't close the door on moving tanev for Hamonic........bit of a wash, but I've never been completely sold on tanev or edler as a top 2 d

Me either, I am very late to the Tanev fan train.  Mostly my concerns were that we had too many guys who brought similar skillsets.  Assuming Hamhuis is gone after this season though... we no longer do.

It is so equal a trade IMHO that it probably doesn't happen, there is just as much risk of downside as upside.  Trades of equivalent level players tend to happen when you have a surplus of a position and trade one of them to a team that has a surplus of another type of player.  One for one same position swaps are pretty rare.

Higgins+Weber or Bartkowski+Shinkaruk is an easy deal that Snow would almost certainly never accept.  Sbisa has played pretty well recently, but his career stats and cap hit would be considered unpleasant.

Trading our only legit RHD in Tanev makes no sense. Having Tanev and Hamonic on our top 4 would be very solid, though.

Sbisa may actually make sense, similar salary, 2 years left on his contract. The Isles have cap space, Vrbata would complement the deal, perhaps with another prospect since he's an UFA.

But as said on this topic before, EDM may have the upper hand. Eberle has more value than Sbisa/Hamhuis + Vrbata.

CGY can offer Brodie, they'd have Hamilton, Wideman and Hamonic as RHD. I'm not sure if the Flames would do that.

WPG can offer Byfuglien and a forward like Burmistrov. Their RHD would be Myers, Trouba and Hamonic. I'm not sure if Hamonic is an upgrade on Big Buff, but his contract would make up for it.

5 minutes ago, Southpop45 said:

according to Arthur Staple a beat writer for the NY ISLANDERS what garth wants is:

"an established top 4 d-man, not prospects/ or draft picks."

Edler, all day, everyday.  This might have some teeth.  The Oilers don't have a dman to move better than Edler.......the only dman that might be a better option is TJ Brodie In Cowtow.

Archived