The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a positive note: I like the way Baertschi continues to develop

*Buzzsaw*

I doubt we see more of Baertschi.  WillieD was saying that they missed Prust's toughness and that he's back in the lineup this weekend.  No other better candidate to take out - he's the skilled guy and his lineup position does suggest that he is just a placeholder for Prust.  WillieD has often said that Baertschi needs to play with skilled players to be at his best and yet he puts him with the definition of grinders.  It was also pretty telling that he didn't play on the powerplay with Sutter and Vrbata out when it's his forte.

I find it a real shame but he just doesn't seem to be a fit here - he is also not playing his game.  It's how he creates plays and processes the game coupled with his skill-set that made him an amazing player under Green and other coaches that knew how to exploit his phenomenal skills (to quote Brent Sutter).  Confidence or systems - I don't know but for the role WillieD is giving him there are simply better options and his usage anyway will hardly allow him to ever find his stride.

Ironically Green was hinting at how poor his usage was with little ice time and being used in a checking role with the Flames and how he had to rebuild his confidence when he got him in Utica.  Could do a cut and paste to the situation here.

10 hours ago, 250Integra said:

He actually look good and more comfortable playing with players like Cracknell / Dorsett - ones that forecheck hard to create open ice for him.

Guys like Baer, Vrbata need a forechecking presence on their opposite wing. Been saying this since the preseason.

5 hours ago, WTG said:

Not talking about production.

I've watched all Baertschi's games since he got here. The guy looks like was when he came into Utica. Just had no self confidence. It took a while to get Baertschi going Green absolutely worked magic on Baertschi and managed to get the best out of him. But with Willie he really looks like the guy we got from Calgary.

No confidence. And it is mostly willie's fault IMO. Some fault goes on him for not playing well at the begining of the pre-season to justify trust. But the major blame goes for Willie for not allowing a player to gain confidence. Willie only punishes Baertschi if he does something bad. He never rewards him when he does well.

We saw glimpses last night of Baertschi's ability to absolutely take over games. He's more than capable of doing this. IF he's confident. But Willie has completely beating it out of him. It's really sad to see.

EDIT: Sorry for the long rant. Just that he was one of my favorite players that I got to watch on the farm and I'm upset with the coaching.

Oh yeah I totally see it too. Willie seems to be risk averse when it comes to anyone under the age of 23. It was understandable at first, considering it was early. But when you keep losing for the same reasons like benching the rookies in the 3rd for most of that frame and not recognizing that problem, you gotta wonder what's going on through his head. We can blame the injuries or we can blame WD's inability to adapt. Either way we're not winning and it's frustrating.

I'd say give Baertschi top 6 minutes and decrease Vrbata's ice-time until he shows more consistency.

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I think WD and Sven are just a wrong combination....I would have to agree at this point, that Willie is just killing his confidence,and has zero trust in him....Too bad,..under the right circumstances,I think he could have developed into a meaningful role...

If the coaching staff are just going to keep dicking him around,which is what I've seen(inconsistent linemates,minutes)...i'd say they should just release him.

I'm thinking one of them will be here next year and one of them won't..........my guess is there won't be a lot of twitching behind the bench next season.  Bringing TG in to work with the young guys next season will do wonders for baer, as Green was always the one coach who could get the best out of him.

9 hours ago, WTG said:

He's not developing.

He's worse than he was last year. Willie ruined his confidence by not rewarding him when he is playing well and punishing him when he makes a mistake.

This Baertschi is not the same Baertschi I saw in Utica.

What a coincidence! Because the opposing players are not the players Baer saw in Utica either!

9 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think baertchi is getting a little more confident game by game, it's a slow process for most young guys because of the pressure to preform in the bigs. I agree that WD is definitely not helping the case when baertchi plays extremely well like last night then is benches in the 3rd when down a goal.  The only hope that iI have is that apparently one of willies strengths is his communication skills with his players. Baertchi seems to be like edler where tough love doesn't work, he needs to be coddled and supported to help him gain confidence. Hopefully what we don't see behind the scenes is positive reinforcement from Willie 

Benching Baertschi and only giving him 7 minutes of ice time is very much tough love.

7 minutes of icetime doesn't help anyone IMO. Baertschi simply won't develop if we won't play him. It's a waste.

1 hour ago, homersexual said:

Bae had one of the best shifts of anyone in the 3rd period and for that, he got to sit on the bench for 12 mins. WD is clearly not a fan of his.

And then he didn't backcheck and it contributed to a goal.  I got no qualms on how WD is using SB, the kid needs to show more intensity all through out the ice.

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

And then he didn't backcheck and it contributed to a goal.  I got no qualms on how WD is using SB, the kid needs to show more intensity all through out the ice.

Ok then,look at Hutton and Horvat (-8)....all making glaring errors...but not stapled to bench afterwards...I've said it once,I'll say it again..If the plan is deploy Bartschi the way the coaching staff have been utilizing him, then just get him off the roster...It's a complete waste of time using a guy with his skills on the 4th line for 8 minutes a game......It was definitely worth the gamble to trade him for a 2nd,but under this coaching staff,it's not going to work out.

I think they should call up Gaunce,who is more suited to the role Willie wants...release Baertschi(because the can't send him down) ,and call it a day.

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Ok then,look at Hutton and Horvat (-8)....all making glaring errors...but not stapled to bench afterwards...I've said it once,I'll say it again..If the plan is deploy Bartschi the way the coaching staff have been utilizing him, then just get him off the roster...It's a complete waste of time using a guy with his skills on the 4th line for 8 minutes a game......It was definitely worth the gamble to trade him for a 2nd,but under this coaching staff,it's not going to work out.

I think they should call up Gaunce,who is more suited to the role Willie wants...release Baertschi(because the can't send him down) ,and call it a day.

Both of those two deserve a visit to the press-box, unfortunately due to injuries and / or lack of serviceable replacements they are both kind of irreplaceable right now .

Virtanen and to a lesser extent, McCann, have made mistakes that directly led to goals against, yet there are given far better treatment than Baertschi. Which is great, because you know, going from being mishandled by the Flames to being mishandled by the Canucks surely couldn't affect his confidence.

As well, can any of the biggest Baertschi critics offer any reason as to not have him, a pure offensive winger, on the abysmal 2nd powerplay unit? 

That to me screams the loudest at how well he's being utilized thus far.

/biased

But this has easily been the most frustrating point of this season for me.

Sure, he showed flashes of the playmaking winger we hope him to be, but he got trapped a few times because he didn't cycle puck and just wanted to make it happen right then and there. Patients young grasshopper, respect the cycle.

He's better than the last shmo we traded a 2nd to get in blue and green, but I'm still waiting for a solid, well rounded, positive (+) game from him. At least he goes into corners, he does it softly, but he goes there, which is good to see. I hope he can hit his stride and start lighting it up, if he doesn't he'll be playing where most 2nd rounders land- not the NHL. (And yes, I know he was a 1st rounder, but we traded a 2nd to get him, so by my logic he's a 2nd) 

22 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Not a lot of positives in the Jets game... but there was one moment which I have been waiting for all season.

That was when Sven Baertschi took control of the puck in the Jets end and basically dominated the Jets defense for more than a minute, maintaining possession and setting up several scoring chances.

I know it has been a slow process, but I continue to see an upward trajectory for this prospect, and I do think he will prove to be a very valuable player for the Canucks in years to come.

I agree he looked good, so why did Willie D only put him out there for 3 shifts in the 3rd?? Honestly, Linden Very got such a long leach last year and Sven gets held back when he plays well, makes no sense. Willie D apparently must have really hated the Portland Winterhawks!

Archived