The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a positive note: I like the way Baertschi continues to develop

*Buzzsaw*

Did you see the vemon in Baer's eyes in that all access clip with Prust.  Kid is po'd.  He obviously expects a lot from himself and probably feels he hasn't had the chance to display it.  I feel he's had opportunities but not prime time opportunities. Like to see him get the bump to the PP and maybe a little more ice time.  Maybe around 13 mins or so with PP time.

On November 22, 2015 at 8:42:58 PM, Canucks Prophet said:

I don't know what to make of Sven right now. I want him to do well and stay on the team, but I just haven't seen enough from him in his overall game. I wanna see some of our drafted prospects get a chance.

Agreed, their have been glimpses of some improvement, but no where near enough, specially at his age he needs to step up and prove he should be here. Right now he barley deserves to be an NHL player.

If he doesn't show decent improvement by the end of the season, he will be joining Vey next year.

32 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Agreed, their have been glimpses of some improvement, but no where near enough, specially at his age he needs to step up and prove he should be here. Right now he barley deserves to be an NHL player.

If he doesn't show decent improvement by the end of the season, he will be joining Vey next year.

Pretty much spot on. Fans were ragging on Vey all season for his less than decent performance, so Sven should not be any different. 

He needs to play in an environment where he's not in and out of the roster every game.

He played a good game a couple weeks ago and what was his reward? Getting taken out the next game.

You're not gonna develop players like this. Take them out if they have a really poor game, but don't take them out when they play well

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He needs to play in an environment where he's not in and out of the roster every game.

He played a good game a couple weeks ago and what was his reward? Getting taken out the next game.

You're not gonna develop players like this. Take them out if they have a really poor game, but don't take them out when they play well

He's played in 20 of the 24 games and before tonight was averaging 11 minutes a night- for a guy who cant kill penalties and isn't good enough to play first unit PP I don't know how much more ice you can give him. He's also what, 23 years old and has 120+ games in the AHL. I'm sorry but Sven only has himself to blame for his lack of development so far. Maybe if he showed a little passion, or intensity, or willingness to play in both ends, he could buy himself more time to show he belongs.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is probably going to sound weird, but I think the problem for him at the moment is that there are no injuries. We have 13 forwards who can play. While it might not be as good for his development, it's the situation we have and it's up to Baertschi to make the most of it.

I'd love to give Baertschi every chance to thrive and succeed, but WD can't revolve his life around 1 player. WD needs to focus on what's best for the team first and foremost. Is Beartschi in that picture? Of course he is, but so are the other 12 forwards in the group at the moment to focus on too, and none of them are bad players. Until injuries happen, this is what we have.

I think, at the end of the day, it's up to Baertschi to show what he can do, not the coach.

I think players have been stifled on this team. Over coached maybe. There also hasn't been any real gritty team leader for years. Some players don't need to be constantly instructed. They need to just get the ice time and have fun. I think with a player like Bo Horvat, they should have just let him run, kind of give him free reign. Of course they should have given him some decent line mates and let the chemistry build. With "over thinking it", they may have been taking away any creativity some players had.

His compete level is a less than zero. Benning went out and said guys are going to earn there spots then Bearcheese gets gifted one and has done nothing to prove the doubters wrong. He doesn't belong in the NHL. Benning could have kept yet another wasted 2nd round pick and used Jensen gaunce hunter even vey Ect. And got the same or better 

My problem with Sven is I understood he had a finish. Now that he is here and we are playing the nitty gritty games, he doesn't seem to pose any danger apart from the occasional good pass.

How can he be on the 2nd line? Add to that he has less grit than Mayray, a guy who took dog's abuse on here for years. The difference is Mayday at least posed a threat and imo linked far better than Baertschi is doing - so far.

I must say I was excited at the acquisition when it happened but now, 24 games in I have grave concerns over whether he is the type of player we should be persevering with. 

We have tried to shed this "lightweight" image for a while now and by that I am not talking about toughness but more about aggressive physicality. If you agree that is where we are aiming for then I am not sure Sven is going to fit.

The only way I can see Sven making it here is if he changes his style and we manage 2/3 years down the line to fill the rest of the team with bigger aggressive players to compensate.

30 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

My problem with Sven is I understood he had a finish. Now that he is here and we are playing the nitty gritty games, he doesn't seem to pose any danger apart from the occasional good pass.

How can he be on the 2nd line? Add to that he has less grit than Mayray, a guy who took dog's abuse on here for years. The difference is Mayday at least posed a threat and imo linked far better than Baertschi is doing - so far.

I must say I was excited at the acquisition when it happened but now, 24 games in I have grave concerns over whether he is the type of player we should be persevering with. 

We have tried to shed this "lightweight" image for a while now and by that I am not talking about toughness but more about aggressive physicality. If you agree that is where we are aiming for then I am not sure Sven is going to fit.

The only way I can see Sven making it here is if he changes his style and we manage 2/3 years down the line to fill the rest of the team with bigger aggressive players to compensate.

I think that Benning was taking a flyer on Baertschi.  It was a calculated risk.  If you can get mid first round talent for a mid 2nd why not give it a shot?

The other thing is that Baer is the same type of player as Shinkaruk.  Surely the competition would light a fire under at least one of them.  It's becoming clear which one.

In the mean time, Baer still might make it.  He'll get at least as good a shot as Vey had.

Benning is looking long term and wide perspective.  CDC peers through a microscope.  I think this is one reason why some people on here are befuddled by his moves.

On 27/11/2015, 09:59:45, Rush17 said:

Did you see the vemon in Baer's eyes in that all access clip with Prust.  Kid is po'd.  He obviously expects a lot from himself and probably feels he hasn't had the chance to display it.  I feel he's had opportunities but not prime time opportunities. Like to see him get the bump to the PP and maybe a little more ice time.  Maybe around 13 mins or so with PP time.

Good eye,  had to re-watch that clip. Kid was sitting by himself and wanted nothing to do with that video.

20 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Good eye,  had to re-watch that clip. Kid was sitting by himself and wanted nothing to do with that video.

Obviously it's unfair to make assumptions from small clips.

But if it's true that he's unhappy here, then he should Make it known to management. I won't really be sad to see him go. 

Virtanen shares the last roster spot with him, plays similarily low minutes, but his face is always positive. He clearly loves being here.

I feel like there are prospects in Utica who are NHL ready right now, if we need them.

Saw the video and you could intrepret it a million ways.  He is also Swiss and reacts and responds in different ways from Canadians. Being polite, not interfering is all he appears to be doing. If you look at the in Dallas vid and photos he is just one of the guys.

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Saw the video and you could intrepret it a million ways.  He is also Swiss and reacts and responds in different ways from Canadians. Being polite, not interfering is all he appears to be doing. If you look at the in Dallas vid and photos he is just one of the guys.

If we start basing how one plays the game based on the country they're from, Canada should have some of the politest players on the ice.

There appears to be a flaw in this logic.....

Archived