The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

Hes been our biggest reason for playoff failure since the finals. Lazy, soft boneheaded plays. Our worst post season performer since BOS. It's not because he's overworked, miscast ect. It's cuz hes baaad. He can't even put up points anymore, just gets spoonfed PP time only to put shots into the 1st shin pad in his way, then get burnt for SH chances. 

We don't have much to replace him with, but there was a time when we could have, back when it was clear Edler was going nowhere but downhill and we could still freely trade him. 

2 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Literally the only players on our roster who are in their rightfully earned spots are the Sedin's as first liners. Everyone else is put in a spot above their pay grade and skill level. You can't blame them for that, blame management.

It's been that way since 2011 2012.

FTFY

I haven't been on here much this year, but I just wanted to re post something I wrote last year about our D and how bad it is.

On 2015-04-26, 10:59:58, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Higgins has to go, he is just horrible offensively.

But our D is just garbage:

Sbisa: When we aquired him the scouting report was he plays a physical game, but he makes a lot of mental mistakes doesn't have that hockey sense sometimes and I think we saw enough of those mistakes.

Hamhuis: For someone who's a BC boy he sure isn't tough pretty sad, this whole season he's been a non factor on the blue line, worst I've ever seen him play ever. There is the possibility he's been playing through injury it's the only excuse I can imagine for how bad he has been this year, if he isn't even worse, but he needs to be traded.

Edler: Did have a better season then last year, but how bad it was last year I don't know how worse it could of got, still if it wasn't for Tanev he would of looked a lot worse this year then anyone really noticed. Doesn't seem to use his body as much as he used to, doesn't use his slap shot as much as he used to, becoming a non factor on the blue line. Game #1 in playoffs was probably his best game of the whole season, but after that slowly went back to being a non factor.

Bieksa: Probably the worst I've ever seen him play in his career in this years playoffs, you can see he is really slowing down, still hard to say good bye to one of the most consitent players to stand up for teammates, but for what he's being paid btw thanks Gillis with that stupid contract, may be time to part ways.

Weber: I like this guy he's young he's got a great hard shot, but he's small doesn't have that height that is needed on the back end, which may hurt him in his future, great 3rd pairing type player for now.

Tanev: Probably the really only good thing to talk about on our D, this guy is a keeper for a long time, I don't care if he doesn't score offensively it's everything else he does that is just perfect. Not one bad thing to say about him, he is the only lock on D to stay.

43 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nonsense. Pair Edler with a 'Keith' a 'Karlsson' or a 'Doughty' and he's a great #2.

Pair up Weber (of the Yannick variety) with any of those guys and he would suffice as great #2.

Point is, IMO, Edler is a complementary player and not the "go-to" guy that Benning and Linden are trying to sell us fans on.  At best, he'd be a solid shut-down guy on the second pairing who can give you a little offense because he's got a big shot. 

Just now, HK Phooey said:

Pair up Weber (of the Yannick variety) with any of those guys and he would suffice as great #2.

Point is, IMO, Edler is a complementary player and not the "go-to" guy that Benning and Linden are trying to sell us fans on.  At best, he'd be a solid shut-down guy on the second pairing who can give you a little offense because he's got a big shot. 

Nope. Edler is and would pretty clearly be a lot better than Weber who would not be a good, let alone great,  #2.

Benning and Linden aren't selling anyone anything other than what he is, a good #2D who is the best D we currently have on our roster.

Just now, J.R. said:

Nope. Edler is and would pretty clearly be a lot better than Weber who would not be a good, let alone great,  #2.

Benning and Linden aren't selling anyone anything other than what he is, a good #2D who is the best D we currently have on our roster.

Therein lies the problem. 

5 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

As a long standing Canucks fan, I have witnessed, year in and year out, our playoff chances disintegrate. I have re-watched the past few years of this team's playoff failures, and believe a large percentage of the blame falls on the disinterested play of Alex Edler. I have argued this point, to the dismay of CDCers for years. The ousting of Roberto Luongo, the blaming of the Sedins for a lack of offense, all unwarranted. Almost every big turning point moment in the playoffs the Canucks have failed to stop their opponents,  is highlighted by an absent minded Alexander Edler.

This is not a troll post, nor it is a hate on for Edler. I simply think the Canucks would have done better without him. Remember to look at the score and consider the points in the series that these failures occur at. 

Fixed!

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's been my assertion from the beginning. There's nothing wrong with Edler, our D lacks top 4 quality and depth. Removing him would help neither. 

Remove Edler, and replace the position with Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty.  Our team is now better.  We should also remove Weber and Bartkowski, they are horrible.  Replace one with Ekblad and the other with Seth Jones.  There, our defense problem is solved.

Why can't management figure this out?  I can easily pull this off on my PS4.

You take Edler out of this team and we're bottom in the West by a long shot. He has been this team's MVP on defence along with Tanev just about every season for the last 5+ years. Sure he makes mistakes, but in the grand scheme of things Alex Edler has been our best overall defenceman.

He looks bad because the mistakes he makes are usually huge gaffs and giveaways, but you've got to take the good with the bad and weigh it all up. For one or two big turnovers a night, think of how many chances he thwarts with his great positioning and puck battles along the boards where other defencemen would lose them (namely Weber and Bartkowski). Plus, he provides an offensive threat every time he's on the ice.

No, he's not as good as he was last year defensively (although his shot is looking a lot better) and he's nowhere near as good as his 2011-self, but I'm pretty happy to have Edler in our top-4. He's probably bottom-15 in the NHL in terms of top pairing defencemen but JB isn't giving us much of a choice.

People get hung up on mistakes and fail to see how good Edler actually is because it's hard to quantify all the good things he does for us. If so, just compare some of the intangeables to those of Weber and Bartkowski. The latter two SUCK in the defensive zone. They simply aren't strong enough to box out forwards, always give up 2nd and 3rd rebound chances where Edler would clear them, can't defend a 2-on-1 or block a cross-crease pass to save their lives and certainly can't win a puck battle along the board against a big, strong forward. Edler and Sbisa are really the only strong defencemen on this team who can win those battles using their size, Tanev and Hamhuis depend on their sticks and sometimes that isn't enough.

I just think Edler is definately not the root of our problems this season. If anything, he's been the biggest reason we're not dead last in the West. This defence is thin enough as it is and sure, he may be a 2nd pairing D-man on most teams, but he's certainly not a bad top pairing defenceman.

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

The way I see it, the coaching staff depends on Edler way too much.  He's the Canucks' de-facto no. 1 d-man only because there is no one else.  When you look at Edler, you fall in love with him...he's big, he hits, is rangy in a Larry Robinson sort of way, skates better than 37yrsncounting opines, has a big shot...but then you see him play and he breaks your heart with his bad decisions and give-a-ways at the most inopportune times.

Part of what has been ailing the Canucks for the past few seasons is that they have players miscast in the roles they are in...Edler is NOT a no. 1 or no. 2 guy on any contending team (he's a bonafide no. 3/4 guy, though)...Higgins is not a top six forward...Kassian wasn't ever going to be a power forward (sorry to open up the old sore)...Tanev is NOT a top 2 d-man...Vrbata isn't an elite scorer (he's a good complementary scorer), Bonino wasn't a 2nd line centre (sorry to bring up the past again), Sutter may be a foundational player, but he's a foundational player on a third line, etc. etc.

So for me, the bottom line is, it has to do with personnel.  AV did a really good job of putting players in places to succeed...Tortorella was a disaster...Willie is somewhere between AV and Torts.  Gillis and Benning have not done much to address the issue of having the right type of players in the right places for the team to succeed.  I guess that's what they call chemistry...an attribute that has long been missing in Vancouver.

This is all to say, Edler is not the cause of the problem, but he sure is part of the problem.

I think Benning and company have taken steps to address these problems.  We are in the transition phase trying to find that next group of guys, and that's why we have so many young rookies in the lineup.  It's not gonna be pretty but the Canucks are going to be around for a long time still, so why doesn't everyone just hold tight for a few years mmkay?  

38 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe6

Yet he's still our best dman.

As a bunch of you have already said - He'd be an awesome 3-4 or a good compliment to a bonafide #1, but he's our #1, and we have to just suck it up.

Edler's reluctance to waive his NTC will make rebuilding the defense an even more difficult task than it already appears to be. JB needs to draft a beauty, because the chances that any of our prospects will actually be a NHL defenseman are a little bleak, let alone a #1-3 guy. Other than Hutton... not much going on back there. Tryamkin isn't doing much, hard to say with Bris because his team is garbage, Subban..ya, that'd be nice. Cedarholm... Hoping for good trades for young D and some insanely psychic drafting. 

Edit- but if what you're (op) proposing is waiving Edler, you must be out of your damn mind. He's a solid top 4 dman in the best league in the world. Unless he's a trade piece that lands a significantly younger, faster, stronger, upgrade on D; we are most certainly better with him than without. He is our best dman, without question IMO. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Actually, we have PGT's for post game discussion.  So, probably not.

If you're here on a mission, make sure to also come back when he doles out a huge blue line stand hit that changes the face of a game.  Or a blistering shot that gets through and makes the difference.  Don't just weed through to find things for your agenda....make sure to paint the whole picture.

Or alternatively we could come here and bump this thread every time an elite #1 defenseman we'd all love to have has a turnover, which is, you know, just about every defenceman in the league.

How many people want Seabrook here? 26 giveaways and only 4 takeaways.
Trouba? 18 to 3.
Doughty? 18 to 1.
Seth Jones? 18 to 4.
Subban? 24 to 3.
Morgan Reilly? 20 to 5.
McDonagh? 14 to 4.

Edler? 16 to 8. Not so bad in comparison, eh?

Players who play the most minutes and carry the puck a lot tend to have giveaways. This is especially true for defenceman when they don't have as many opportunities to create takeaways as forwards do so it looks bad. Tanev's at 14 to 6, Hutton's at 12 to 7 and Hamhuis is at 11 to 3 before the OP asks.

And a bonus just in light of the Hamonic rumours: 15 giveaways to 23 takeaways.

Archived