The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat has been absolutely terrible this season

Nucks-4-Life

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He's regularly played with Baertschi, Vrbata, and Virtanen. Occasionally had Hansen and Horvat on his wings. Only one I'd consider a grinder, and he is playing well with the Sedins.  

Yes and he's underwhelmed with all of them. Success has been defined to him as what he accomplished last year with Dorsett/ Hansen/ Kenins.

Dump and chase, puck on net, off the boards and change. The mentality of a plug.

He's shown no poise or patience to make a play to extend puck possession. He could learn a thing or two from Hutton.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

LOL at "this isn't a hate thread on Horvat" when the other 95% of your post you're trying to explain why you hate Horvat.

These boards are hard to stomach when one bad road trip is all it takes to send half of CDC over the edge.

Parody thread, dude. Has to be.

Id say give Bo horvat some time man, it's his 2nd year and he's been giving a big role, he's not going to be the superstar you want him to be right away, not to mention his face off ability is insane...

1 hour ago, meh_wassup said:

More worried about the defense. Honestly JB either has to make a move to significantly upgrade the defense, or rather make a move to sell some vets and accept the high draft pick this season. Being stuck in limbo won't serve the players or the fans. I'd prefer going for the high draft pick with no pressure at all being put on the young guys (Horvat and company) so that they develop properly, but that's just me.

Maybe JB gives us poor Defence so that the young guys HAVE too learn how to defend otherwise it will be a wipe out every night, making it easier when we get top d :P haha 

1 hour ago, snucks said:

Its a prime example of a player being stifled by a coach.

stifled would be a player being played 5-10 minutes a night... Bo is being forced to play above his desired role at the moment. Not really the coaches fault when you have Sutter injured and McCann / Cracknel as the depth replacements.

2 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

He should be playing 3C this year with Sutter playing 2C but he had to get moved up to 2C because of the Sutter injury. When Sutter comes back I expect him to return to 3C with less pressure on him shutting down the opposition so he's able to regain his groove. Not worried about him

^

2 hours ago, Nucks-4-Life said:

I'm a big Bo Horvat fan, but we can't ignore the fact that he has been terrible this season.

Even worse, he seems to bring down the play of his linemates.

Turnovers, bad passes, weak shots, etc.

The only good thing I'm seeing from him this year is his ability to drive strong to the net. I like that, and it can be another weapon in his arsenal.

This isn't a hate thread on Horvat, he is a potential future captain of this team, and our very own version of Toews. But he is slumping right now, and something needs to be changed...

I propose he is dropped down to 4th line C again when Sutter is healthy. That will give him a chance to find his offensive game against weaker players. He can still play the PK, but have McCann take his spot on the 2nd unit PP.

Can someone just create a (insert players name here) has been terrible thread and then all these knee jerk clowns can fill it up? Bo is your future captain yet he is terrible? I wonder if its the 7,200 line combinations he has been on this year? 

2 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

WD has been having him do defensive end faceoffs and he has been absolutely awful, giving up possession to the opposition in our own end every time...brutal.

Yup.  Bo is supposed to be a good face off guy.  If his game is off, that would be the first indicator.

lol at our version of Toews... Extremely naive to even mention Horvat and Toews in the same sentence. Toews had 50+ points season as a 19 year old and never stopped from there. 

While I think Horvat is decent and a great young player for us, people on these boards overrate him. 

Funniest part is how last year everyone were like let Horvat play, he is both very good at faceoffs and defensively. Horvat is below 50% at the fo and -9 this season. 

The whole team has been awful. Different line mates, different role all factors to his struggles. He had a defined role last season this season is he the checking third liner a grinding fourth a scoring second liner. Really the juggling makes AV look like good. 

Not one forward hasn't struggled this season. 

Its a horrible roster/lineup Benning reminds me of Nonis trading signing and filling the roster with third liners. 

The results are exactly what most fans expected. 

3 minutes ago, combover said:

The whole team has been awful. Different line mates, different role all factors to his struggles. He had a defined role last season this season is he the checking third liner a grinding fourth a scoring second liner. Really the juggling makes AV look like good. 

Not one forward hasn't struggled this season. 

Its a horrible roster/lineup Benning reminds me of Nonis trading signing and filling the roster with third liners. 

The results are exactly what most fans expected. 

Considering your post, where do we draft?  

The fact that Sutter is down with injury made his tough start even tougher in the long run he will be the better for it pk,pp faceoffs at least he is a very work work type player goes about his job an works his but off .These type of players usually overcome an succeed I fully expect him to chip in goals an get out of slump when Sutter gets back.He will be good third line player who will do much better against other thirds .

1. Hughson noted that Horvat is 72% in O zone FO, while only 38 on D zone. Reason is the new rule changes of who gets to put their stick down first. 

2. Horvat had "real good" chemistry with Kenins last year, you can see they were hitting their passes and knew where they were going to be. Hansen is another guy Bo played well with. Chemistry trumps talent, he needs to find a winger who he is comfortable with. Softies like Verby and Higgins wont get it done. 

OP- Sorry if I missed this already being covered but dude, there's more to it than how you can make him play in your video game.

He's been playing some crazy hard minutes for a sophomore. Way harder matchups than he saw last year, lots of PK time, doesn't get Edler/Tanev behind him very often at all, has been stuck in the middle with rotating wingers that are all underproducing, yet he's still getting stronger, faster and smarter.

So OP: Can it.

He hasn't been good but for gods sake cut the kid some slack he's been thrust into a role that is a little much for a 20 year old sophomore. His point total is concerning but the fact he's matching up against other teams top players every night and having to shoulder the load without Sutter in the lineup might have something to do with that. Throw in the line juggling and it's justification for what we are seeing from him. 

Horvat will be fine, but he needs to play with hard-working wingers who skate well. Keep Vrbata away from him, because he has no idea of how to play with a player like that. Give him wingers like Hansen, Dorsett and Prust and he'll get back to being more the kind of player we saw last year.

Leave Bo alone.  With all the injuries and lack of depth hes been tasked with being Patrice Bergeron. The guy is 20 years old.

He will be sheltered behind Sutter (a guy who has 8 years in the NHL i think) and will be brought along properly.

The biggest concern should be the possibility of destroying the guys confidence - having fans turn on him 20 games into the season at 20 years old doesnt help.

Archived