The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat has been absolutely terrible this season

Nucks-4-Life

19 minutes ago, snucks said:

Horvat has probably by now in his career seen it all and this coaching group seems like a lot of minor league coaches . There is no way a player like Bo can blossom under this coach. By now Bo should be comfortable and be on a set line and they should play Burrows with the Sedins always.

What's wrong with you people... Why does there always need to be blame... This team just isn't that great... this team isn't that bad either... no coach is going to change that... JB can't change that without time...

Hansen actually looked good with the Sedins last few games... Also funny you say that when this article just came out on Canucks.com: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=788735&navid=DL|VAN|home 
Besides this article you here so many diverse comments about Sedins linemates... Vrbata is better, Burrows is better, try Virtanen, Sutter looked good, give Shinkaruk a shot... it's all a haze.

All you can do is take a chill pill and believe that Bo will find some chemistry with linemates and the bounces that's not going his way will go his way eventually. Till then this team will be stuck in mediocrity until some changes are made and some of these young guys Tanev, McCann, Hutton, Virtanen, Horvat, Baertschi take another notch up and become consistent top-line type players.

People need to get off Horvat's back.

Yes, he is not having the same season as last year... but he is up against a lot tougher opponents.  His line is very often matched up against the opposition's #1 line... which should not be happening, but WD wants to get the Sedins up against weaker lines.

His performance is also a result of the overall low performance of the team, especially the defense.  When you have a weak defense, the forwards have to clean up the mess.  This is not a Cup Contender, and anyone who thought so is delusional.

I think all the young guys will get better as the season goes along... whereas the vets are likely to get tired and fall off.

I guess we're accelerating our prospect development in much the same way as we've been accelerating our rebuild, and with just as much success. I reckon we can expect to throw Brock Boeser into the deep end next year at age nineteen too. It'll be fun seeing if he sinks or swim and if he struggles at all we can run him out of town before he's even an adult, or really even old enough to play in the NHL just like Bo. I can hardly wait; it's fun supporting a clueless player development organization.

44 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

People need to get off Horvat's back.

Yes, he is not having the same season as last year... but he is up against a lot tougher opponents.  His line is very often matched up against the opposition's #1 line... which should not be happening, but WD wants to get the Sedins up against weaker lines.

His performance is also a result of the overall low performance of the team, especially the defense.  When you have a weak defense, the forwards have to clean up the mess.  This is not a Cup Contender, and anyone who thought so is delusional.

I think all the young guys will get better as the season goes along... whereas the vets are likely to get tired and fall off.

I think the vets have already taken the leap:(

7 hours ago, snucks said:

Horvat has probably by now in his career seen it all and this coaching group seems like a lot of minor league coaches . There is no way a player like Bo can blossom under this coach. By now Bo should be comfortable and be on a set line and they should play Burrows with the Sedins always.

No way, Hansen has been great with the Sedins, and not just this year either. Hansen is doing what Burrows used to do in his prime with the Sedins, it's time to pass the torch. 

I like the line of Burrows, Bo, and Virtanen. They caused some havoc for the Jets, and had some quality chances. Just gotta finish them....

8 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I guess we're accelerating our prospect development in much the same way as we've been accelerating our rebuild, and with just as much success. I reckon we can expect to throw Brock Boeser into the deep end next year at age nineteen too. It'll be fun seeing if he sinks or swim and if he struggles at all we can run him out of town before he's even an adult, or really even old enough to play in the NHL just like Bo. I can hardly wait; it's fun supporting a clueless player development organization.

Many fans complained that they weren't bringing up the young guys, and now many are complaining that Willie isn't giving them enough playing time. So I don't think it's just management that are clueless.

8 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I think all of our young guys will come alive in the last half of the season. 

Once Sutter is back Bo will start to play better.

I tend to agree.

Especially Virtanen, Hutton, and McCann. I know McCann has been sharp this year already, but all these guys were able to completely skip the AHL and jump straight to the big leagues. This is a whole different level, and it's going to take a while to click. The beautiful thing about it is that once it starts to click it's going to be a thing of beauty.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm hoping we are good enough to make the playoffs, but if we do miss, I want us to miss by a lot and not a little.  I always cheer for our players to do well and win, but I'm not too disappointed if we lose, knowing there are two super prospects at the top of this coming draft.::D

Yeah always want see them win. Losing sucks for the fans but it must be terrible for the players. 

The roster just isn't good enough seems very one dimensional. I just wanted a gm to say this is a rebuild and get on with it. Easy to accept rookies making mistakes tough to watch vets make rookie mistakes over and over. 

The worst case would be just good enough to stay bad missing the playoff by two points does nothing for a rebuild.

Oh well not the first rough patch me or any Canuck fan has had to endure won't be the last.

13 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

I say we trade him. Anybody remember Coutiereier? People thought he'd be this ohhhhhhhh big 2nd line center who can provide an amazing two way game and be able to put up 60-70 points with elite defense... Very similar player to Horvat. Guess what? He's nothing near that, and Horvat is taking the same pathway to 'third line center' like Coutiereier is. It would be better asset managment to SELL NOW while he has ample value. Maybe for that prized defenseman we are all looking for?

It's time this managment group got smart and acted when assets can positively be improved. It's the smart way.

- SJ

There wasn't that much hype. He has still turned out good and has room to grow.

Couturier is 22 years old and averages the 3rd most TOI of all forwards on the Flyers. He has been top 3 in TOI on Flyers the previous 2 seasons. Plays tough and important minutes against other teams scorers and on the PK.

Couturier is a key piece of their team. You downplay how important he is for the Flyers and how good he is at the little things it takes to win.  On top of that he hasn't even reached his prime(Only 2.5 years older than Bo).

Bo shouldn't be moved. He is an important piece for us moving forward.

3 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

I say we trade him. Anybody remember Coutiereier? People thought he'd be this ohhhhhhhh big 2nd line center who can provide an amazing two way game and be able to put up 60-70 points with elite defense... Very similar player to Horvat. Guess what? He's nothing near that, and Horvat is taking the same pathway to 'third line center' like Coutiereier is. It would be better asset managment to SELL NOW while he has ample value. Maybe for that prized defenseman we are all looking for?

It's time this managment group got smart and acted when assets can positively be improved. It's the smart way.

- SJ

Couts is a core piece on the rebuilding Flyers, Horvat is a core piece on the rebuilding Canucks. These type of players you don't trade.

When 

6 hours ago, Derp... said:

Bo thrives when he plays a simple game, he's trying to do a little too much right now and that's okay a lot of young players do. I think we will see him pick up after Christmas a bit.

And so will the kids. I don't think that people realize the skill level and work ethic on this team. We're an injury away from failure, but this team has what it takes if they're healthy 

Plenty of players have suffered through the sophmore slump. When you are put in a much more prominent role and asked to take on more responsibility than that of your rookie season, there's going to be some growing pains. Just look at Nate MacKinnon, for example. Hell, even Ovechkin had a sophmore slump, to some extent.

Archived