The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL to get 5 day Bye Week next season

Mackcanuck

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/40094/rumblings-nhl-giving-teams-bye-week-in-next-seasons-schedule

Everyone ready for an NFL-style bye week to come to the NHL? Because it’s coming next season.

Everything is always a negotiation between the NHL and NHL Players’ Association when it comes to many of their events, and the All-Star Game is certainly a great example.

It has been well publicized that as part of accepting the 3-on-3 format proposed by the NHL, the players wanted the Friday night player draft axed.

But another key item gained by the players in these negotiations was some extra time off in the grinding regular-season schedule, a source told ESPN.com.

The league and the NHLPA have committed to building a "five-day bye week" for each team into the schedule next season. The league will schedule one for each club between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28 next season.

Players won’t have to report for practice until after 4 p.m. on the fifth day if they have a game on the sixth day, a source said. If the players don't have a game on the sixth day, they would have the entire fifth day off.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I thought that is what the all star game was. Because I certainly don't see any NHL hockey on that break.

yea, except the "all-stars" are the players who play the most minutes in the league and if they have to play during the all-star break then they don't get a break at all. This just makes sure every player gets some time off.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So where do the extra games get added on? Does that mean the regular season will go farther into April?

What they should be doing is cutting down preseason and starting in September, but that probably won't happen.

I completely agree. Watching the playoffs when the sun is blasting down in May is alright, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly when you can just head outside instead. Hockey should never be played in June. It's ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Gyllenhaal said:

yea, except the "all-stars" are the players who play the most minutes in the league and if they have to play during the all-star break then they don't get a break at all. This just makes sure every player gets some time off.

We can't all be like Edmonton and promise all of may and june off every season.

Good for the NHLPA. It's sad when you can clearly see certain players playing with some sort of injury half way through the season. So much passion they'll take a hit on them for the betterment of the team only to harm themselves. This way, at least allows for players to rest, sit back, and recover. 

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So where do the extra games get added on? Does that mean the regular season will go farther into April?

What they should be doing is cutting down preseason and starting in September, but that probably won't happen.

the Canucks have 1 stretch in October and 2 in December where they play 1 game in 5 nights, and 1 in 6 nights in February.  Plus an 8 day allstar  break.  If they moved one of those games the most they would need to add is 2 days to the sched. Or add the moved game into one of those breaks

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

the Canucks have 1 stretch in October and 2 in December where they play 1 game in 5 nights, and 1 in 6 nights in February.  Plus an 8 day allstar  break.  If they moved one of those games the most they would need to add is 2 days to the sched. Or add the moved game into one of those breaks

I don't see how that would be better for the players. All you would be doing is condensing the schedule even more.

They should have negotiated less preseason games.

4 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

Exactly why the allstar game should be at the end of the season.   I have never understood the mid season spectacle. 

How about?

Christmas break. 1 week off

Dump the All-Star Game and take a break mid season 1 week off.

Start training camp in the start of September, Start the preseason 2nd week of September. 

Get the season ending in March and start the Playoffs first week of April. Try to get the Playoffs finished before Mid May?

15 hours ago, Green Building said:

I completely agree. Watching the playoffs when the sun is blasting down in May is alright, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly when you can just head outside instead. Hockey should never be played in June. It's ridiculous.

100% disagree. The best teams get the right to have their fans group en masse for an outdoor viewing experience in warm climate. Its like a rite of passage. The sunnier it is when your playing, the better you are. 

30 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

100% disagree. The best teams get the right to have their fans group en masse for an outdoor viewing experience in warm climate. Its like a rite of passage. The sunnier it is when your playing, the better you are. 

Hmm, maybe I'm just bitter because the Canucks are rarely playing when I pull my TV out into the yard to drink beer and watch hockey in May and June. 

I wish they would cut down on the games per year. I know that won't be as popular of an idea but I think if we axed off some games maybe cut it back to 70-72 games a season we would see better quality hockey because everyone is better rested.  The NHL does a game a week with lots of rest why cant the nhl look at spacing some games out.

I know we love our hockey but I like quality hockey.  Players are so beaten down. should give them some micro breaks i like the 5 day break for recovery

^ Even with playoffs you could still reach the 100 game mark.  If it were 72 games a season the only way to reach 100 games in a reg/playoff season would be to play every game possible in the playoffs so four 7 game series.  

I think we would see less injuries, better hockey,and a lot more dogged determination.  Less games to make up points so you have to be on point.  Its enough games where tanking for the year just won't work because its still a long and drooling season.

Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully they will take travel schedules into account and give the more traveled teams breaks later in the season. It's more likely that Buttemans favorite American teams will get the best spots and the Canucks will get their break early in the season.

Archived