The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] ESPN: canucks "waiting" to discuss extension with vrbata

Canucks Curse

There are plenty of teams claiming for the need of offence.  MTL, FLA, NSH, wether vbrata is will to go to any of these teams is a different story. Vbrata is a rental but he's also comes at a way lower cost to what else is rumoured on the market (johansen, Stamkos, one of the oilers 4).  I think we move him, and we get decent value for him.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

If it is a fair cap hit, then I would be happy to have the Vrbata nack. While we have a lot of up and coming young rookies and prospects, it seems we are pretty good with the center and left wing position. There are not too many good up and coming right wingers coming up in the pipes. Signind Vrbata will give them time to develop a top six or be a valuable trade chip in the future.

That wouldn't be a bad move tbh. Sign him for one or two more years, then once Virtanen and Boeser are ready flip him for a pick/prospect?

Don't mind him being resigned but i'd wait to see where we are at with the trade deadline since i'd rather trade him and he can resign back after the playoffs ala Vermette.

Overall I think he's good for Baertschi's development since they've had good chemistry this season

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There are plenty of teams claiming for the need of offence.  MTL, FLA, NSH, wether vbrata is will to go to any of these teams is a different story. Vbrata is a rental but he's also comes at a way lower cost to what else is rumoured on the market (johansen, Stamkos, one of the oilers 4).  I think we move him, and we get decent value for him.

Totally agree. What he might yield in a February deal far outweighs keeping him. He plays 'light' to say the least and has not overly impressed during his time with the Twins. Hanson has supplanted him this year and Burrows did last year when he came back from injury. It comes down to which vet will return more and what vet contributes most to the youth coming up.

The only forward vets I would keep are the Twins, Hanson and maybe Burrows if there is not a substantial offer. IMHO Dorsett's play might have made Burrows moveable. Burrows offers something special in the dressing room and I am not sure about Dorsett in that area as I simply have heard nothing.  

There are fair arguments for 3 possibilities for Vrbata and I think that Benning could take either route.

1. Re-sign - the Canucks are thin on RW (especially top 6) and would need to replace Vrbata's 20-30 goals somehow.  I think that Vrbata's useful life may be one more year but at that point as an asset he would be worth much less.  
  2. Trade as a rental at the deadline - maximize value --> take a good prospect D like Tinordi in return (he's 23, big 6'6" 229 but a left shot.....sounds like a similar player to Tryamkin)
  3. Trade as a rental and take a draft pick in return (1st)

Needless to say, if they trade Vrbata, they will have to bring in a free agent in all likelihood.  And if they keep him, they're taking a flyer on whether Virtanen (or another player already in the system)  would be ready after a year.

My vote is to trade and to bring in a free agent 2RW.  That way, they get the most value for a diminishing asset and they don't have to rush a young player to play top 6.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There are fair arguments for 3 possibilities for Vrbata and I think that Benning could take either route.

1. Re-sign - the Canucks are thin on RW (especially top 6) and would need to replace Vrbata's 20-30 goals somehow.  I think that Vrbata's useful life may be one more year but at that point as an asset he would be worth much less.  
  2. Trade as a rental at the deadline - maximize value --> take a good prospect D like Tinordi in return (he's 23, big 6'6" 229 but a left shot.....sounds like a similar player to Tryamkin)
  3. Trade as a rental and take a draft pick in return (1st)

Needless to say, if they trade Vrbata, they will have to bring in a free agent in all likelihood.  And if they keep him, they're taking a flyer on whether Virtanen (or another player already in the system)  would be ready after a year.

My vote is to trade and to bring in a free agent 2RW.  That way, they get the most value for a diminishing asset and they don't have to rush a young player to play top 6.

I think the canucks would look to UFA as moving Vbrata and likely higgins free's up a good chunk of cap space.  It might not be one player replacing all those goals but a number of players.  Add in hopefully more offence from the youth as the kids will have year more experense and possibly an offensive talent like rodin joining the line up.  

2 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

personally I would rather have a Bowey and say forget the draft pick.

Me to, but I don't see vbrata having any value there anymore,  not with how well williams has played in the top 6.  The only area I can see cap looking to improve is their back end left side.  Last year they went out an got Gleason fairly cheap.  I could see them doing the same.  In all honesty Hamhuis would be a good fit for them.  He's a rental but that's good as they don't have a lot of cap next year with a few players getting pay raises (orlov, Wilson, Laata). Kuznetsov will be getting a big raise in two years.  Hamhuis is a short term upgrade over Schmidt and Chorney, but Hamhuis alone won't be enough to bring back Bowey.  Since canucks don't really need cap space, this year or next, we could afford to take on a cap dump (Laich).  There's lots of options that could work out with Hammer and Bowey as the center pieces.

Hamhuis + Kenins/Gaunce + conditional pick (2nd or 3rd based on WSH playoff success)

Hamhuis (retained salary) + Tryamkin

Hamhuis + CBJ 2nd round pick

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think the canucks would look to UFA as moving Vbrata and likely higgins free's up a good chunk of cap space.  It might not be one player replacing all those goals but a number of players.  Add in hopefully more offence from the youth as the kids will have year more experense and possibly an offensive talent like rodin joining the line up.  

It would be nice to see goal production from Baertschi.  He seems to have figured something out recently.   Time will tell.

As for moving Vrbata (or Hammer), I agree that it would be better to get a 22/23 year old RHD coming back than a pick.  Or Bowey (20).  That's the sort of player they would draft anyways....unless packaging multiple firsts for a top 5 pick is possible.  But we saw what that strategy got Sweeney in Boston last draft.....no takers.

what could we receive if we retained salary in a trade for vrbata? i know a lot of people have there fingers crossed on receiving a few first round picks for this years draft but i would really like to get a dman that was drafted high a few years back that will be hitting stride the same time horvat and McCann are, like looking at keith and seabrook they developed into top end dmen perfect time with kane and toews and that's what you need to get a dynasty going. i feel tanev is the perfect compliment number 2 dman its finding that guy that could grow into a number 1. what would it take to pry a guy like seth jones? i know I'm probably dreaming but i feel this is where a rebuild should start and the preds are damn near ready to make a push for a cup and could possibly be willing to move that young stud to fill holes in there lineup to put them over the top. so say Vrbata retained prust and a d to fill in for jones? for Jones

4 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

what could we receive if we retained salary in a trade for vrbata? i know a lot of people have there fingers crossed on receiving a few first round picks for this years draft but i would really like to get a dman that was drafted high a few years back that will be hitting stride the same time horvat and McCann are, like looking at keith and seabrook they developed into top end dmen perfect time with kane and toews and that's what you need to get a dynasty going. i feel tanev is the perfect compliment number 2 dman its finding that guy that could grow into a number 1. what would it take to pry a guy like seth jones? i know I'm probably dreaming but i feel this is where a rebuild should start and the preds are damn near ready to make a push for a cup and could possibly be willing to move that young stud to fill holes in there lineup to put them over the top. so say Vrbata retained prust and a d to fill in for jones? for Jones

Nashville has over $10m in cap space. Retaining salary in Vrbata wouldn't increase his value to them. No GM in his right mind would trade a young blue chip defenceman like Jones for a couple rental UFA's. I don't see any deal that makes sense from Nashville's point of view involving Jones short of a huge overpayment from Vancouver 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Nashville has over $10m in cap space. Retaining salary in Vrbata wouldn't increase his value to them. No GM in his right mind would trade a young blue chip defenceman like Jones for a couple rental UFA's. I don't see any deal that makes sense from Nashville's point of view involving Jones short of a huge overpayment from Vancouver 

well we all know how short a window can be open to win a cup, they need to make a move that puts them over the top and i don't see jones becoming a top pairing dman on there line anytime soon because of weber and josi .

if jones is available to fill them holes your probably right in the sense there are teams that are in a better situations to overpay for him ex EDM... but this is what I'm saying does edm have pieces that help out a playoff contender? people like Hansen burrows prust Vrbata are guys you want for a playoff run we sit in a very interesting situation at trade deadline we have annoying players to play against and that's what teams wants on a playoff run

12 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

more pr crap from benning. He is just responding to all these reports of the canucks trading of vrbata. Garbage. That tells me benning is getting fleeced by other teams wich is nothing unusual. 

So much hate, just let it flow through you......

Archived