The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - Ottawa (Proposal)

J.I.A.H.N

Now, hold on to your hat and hear me out........then you can Boo! LOL

Edler and Higgins for Cowen, 2016-1st and 2017-2nd

so here is my thoughts on this.

- Cowen is 6'5" 238 lbs, playing 2nd Dman pairing LD, and 5 years younger than Edler, he is a +3 this year, He is a defensive Dman, and has a   knock against not hitting enough, but will fight. And skates well for a big man.

- 2016 - 1st will be around 20th OA, not because Ottawa is bad, but because the teams ahead of them are strong, this trade does help Ottawa, and will give them better options.

- 2017 - 2nd is to even it out after adding Higgins to the trade (not that Higgins is worth a 2nd by himself), but it gives Ottawa depth, without giving any of their prospects up

- Edler has been an inconsistent this year, but I believe that is because of our overall team skill level and depth he suffers, as well as his added minutes. as Edler is on the edge of 30 years old, and if you have not been watching, by the time the players are getting to 33 ish, they are loosing speed and skill...........I believe Edler goes to Ottawa because of his relationships with the Eriksson, and Alfie (Now on Ottawa's staff) To me it is one of the only places he would accept a trade to.

Higgins is a throw-in and moves 2 1/2 million out...........he has a good contract, and will be a great addition to Ottawa's playoff run.

Now the Canucks do take a hit in loosing Edler and replacing with Cowen, but this should give us 2 picks in the top 10 to 20 range of the 2016 year draft.

The difference is minimal to us, but large to Ottawa. Time are a changing.......this is a subtle difference, and one you will notice in 2 or 3 years

Now not for me to toot my own horn, but I have been a big advocate of asset management for several years, and have been scorned regularly for saying we should have traded Matthais, Richardson, Vrbata and Hamhuis at last years trade Deadline for picks, and could filled in with some pretty good UFA's including Franson, that went for a song.........no you guys wouldn;t have it!

This years I am again shouting again for movements along the same line, but this year I say sign Hamhuis for 3 years, 3 million per (great #5 Dman), trade VrBata, for a 2nd maybe + a 3rd, ad Baertschi or Vey if anyone is interested, (these were wasted assets and if Benning remembers anything he should remember why he was brought here (Drafting) and why Willie D was brought here and focus on what they do best........no more favorite player BS from Willie

Again...........Edler and Higgins for Cowen, 2016-1st (20ish OA)and 2017-2nd(50ish OA), and if injuries fall them a better pick, good on us!

This makes sense and doesn't make me a tanker............it is asset management

cowens career high in points was 17 edlers was 49 why would we trade edler for a plug  not sure what people on here are thinking edler has a ntc that hes said he will never waive he plays big minutes has a ok plus minus and has 8 or 9 points already not sure why the bandwagon fans are trying to get him traded. hamhuis and weber are the reason we have been losing games not alex 

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

cowens career high in points was 17 edlers was 49 why would we trade edler for a plug  not sure what people on here are thinking edler has a ntc that hes said he will never waive he plays big minutes has a ok plus minus and has 8 or 9 points already not sure why the bandwagon fans are trying to get him traded. hamhuis and weber are the reason we have been losing games not alex 

Exactly! Cowen is like a Cody Franson lite. Nope no thanks OP. 

50 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This makes sense and doesn't make me a tanker............it is asset management

He is a healthy scratch with the Sens right now and you want to trade our 2nd best defenseman for some plug who can't even play in the NHL? We could get a sh!t ton more for Edler!

1 minute ago, Green Goblin said:

He is a healthy scratch with the Sens right now and you want to trade our 2nd best defenseman for some plug who can't even play in the NHL? We could get a sh!t ton more for Edler!

not sure why some of these dumb fans want to trade our best dman so clueless if anything  weber needs to be shown the door 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

not sure why some of these dumb fans want to trade our best dman so clueless if anything  weber needs to be shown the door 

Yeah Weber has been brutal defensively and doesn't have enough offensive upside to warrant a spot on the team. I'd rather put Biega in, at least he doesn't turnover the puck every time he gets it.

25 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

I also heard Bieksa say he wouldn't waive and was going down with the ship. Who knows Edler might like the idea of playing for a team in the hunt and playing on a pair with country mate and team Sweden pair Karlsson. I think there is some merit to an Edler to Ottawa trade as it may be enticing to both teams. Edler > Cowen of course you're right but Edler + Higgins for Cowen, a first likely in the 16-22 range and a 2nd doesn't sound like a bad deal. I like it.

13 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

LOL please check your facts before posting to comment on others' ideas.  Style-wise they're basically polar opposites, and the only thing that Cowen is comparable with Franson is size in that both are tall guys.

Anyways, I'd hope that J.B. can get a roster D-man, prospect and pick for Eddie if he does get moved (doubt it though); would love to see Ceci, Chabot and a 1st or 2nd in return.  But yeah, agreed that Cowen isn't a guy we should look to get as with Eddie gone the back end will truly be offense-starved (unless Hutton becomes the 2nd coming of Duncan Keith next season and Yannick changes his name to Shea).  

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

you make it sound so easy

well we have vrbata, hansen, higgins, burrows, sedins, horvat, sutter, mccann, virtanen, baertchi, prust, dorsett, cracknell, gaunce, grenier, shinkaruk, cassels  all able to play plus vey and jensen on farm. all fighting for 12 spots id keep  sedins, burrows, sutter, horvat, mccann, baertchi, prust, virtanen, cracker, gaunce, shinkaruk, grens but id package some of our vets and cast off prospects  im sure a few teams  will be up for a trade if a bunch of injuries happen.

our youngsters have been great all yr 

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I also heard Bieksa say he wouldn't waive and was going down with the ship. Who knows Edler might like the idea of playing for a team in the hunt and playing on a pair with country mate and team Sweden pair Karlsson. I think there is some merit to an Edler to Ottawa trade as it may be enticing to both teams. Edler > Cowen of course you're right but Edler + Higgins for Cowen, a first likely in the 16-22 range and a 2nd doesn't sound like a bad deal. I like it.

only problem cowen is a healthy scratch right now might be able to get him for a 3rd and vey or jensen.   cowen or chabot or ceci will not be able to play 27 mins a game against  top lines and do as well as edler for a few yrs if ever.  edlers value is higher than you think im pretty sure hes going nowhere 

Just now, canuktravella said:

only problem cowen is a healthy scratch right now might be able to get him for a 3rd and vey or jensen.   cowen or chabot or ceci will not be able to play 27 mins a game against  top lines and do as well as edler for a few yrs if ever.  edlers value is higher than you think im pretty sure hes going nowhere 

Cowen isn't the make or breaker in the deal for me. If Edler can net a mid first round pick a serviceable dman as replacement and a 2nd or a prospect I'd think thats good value. Maybe instead of Cowen insert somebody like Chris Wideman or Marc Methot.

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

LOL please check your facts before posting to comment on others' ideas.  Style-wise they're basically polar opposites, and the only thing that Cowen is comparable with Franson is size in that both are tall guys.

Anyways, I'd hope that J.B. can get a roster D-man, prospect and pick for Eddie if he does get moved (doubt it though); would love to see Ceci, Chabot and a 1st or 2nd in return.  But yeah, agreed that Cowen isn't a guy we should look to get as with Eddie gone the back end will truly be offense-starved (unless Hutton becomes the 2nd coming of Duncan Keith next season and Yannick changes his name to Shea).  

I never said he is like Cody Franson. I said he is like a Cody Franson lite. Yeah obviously Franson plays more of an offensive role. But statistically speaking, they are very similar. Franson's career-high in goals is 8, Cowen's is 6. Franson averages slightly more shots per season but Cowen has a higher shooting %. The stats goes on... Basically Cowen has slightly worse stats in every category with more defensive ice-time. Therefore justifying why I called him Franson lite. 

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Canuck fans always think the value is higher.  

Did you get what you wanted for Kesler, Schneider, Lu, Lack, Kassian?    If you are expecting us to fleece a team in a trade then you are cheering for the wrong team because the Canucks don't do that..

Remember OP's trade had draft picks coming back our way as well.

edlers not being traded nor are the sedins. its not happening 

Cowen is not a top 4 jan. Get a little nuttier over hockey and you'll find he's a third pairing D scrapping for minutes in Ottawa, and not listening to the people responsible for helping him improve his game.  He's been a huge ongoing disappointment - not the kind of primary asset you need to return in a deal for a player like Edler.  Secondary piece perhaps, but principle - no deal.  Sorry, but dealing a top pairing defenseman for a 3.7 million third pairing guy being outplayed by Mark Borowiecki is not great asset or cap management.

59 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Canuck fans always think the value is higher.  

Did you get what you wanted for Kesler, Schneider, Lu, Lack, Kassian?    If you are expecting us to fleece a team in a trade then you are cheering for the wrong team because the Canucks don't do that..

Remember OP's trade had draft picks coming back our way as well.

Some think the value is higher.  Others over-value anyone not wearing a Canucks uniform.

And yes, we got what we wanted for Kesler, Schneider, Lu....

Lack was a case of settling for what the market had to offer under the circumstances - and Kassian was not healthy.   Eddie was a UFA in the 1st place, and Kassian was acquired for a buyout - so in the end, the returns aren't really losses.   Kesler and a 5th for Sutter, Sbisa and McCann I'd do over and over and over again.  Luongo, like Kesler, wanted out - Markstrom in that deal and Miller with his cap space - not hard to live with really.  

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Kinda ironic coming from you.

Archived