The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Highschool: Hated it or loved it?

Mainly Mattias

Highschool: Hated it or loved it?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i don't know why but i was always well liked in school by everyone...maybe not all the teachers though...i wasn't all that good a baseball player, but i always got picked first...i was a good hitter...was that throughout my life...as much as we wanted to get out of school, i think we all realized that, that was the happiest days of our life.

Did you get the paddle, Joe? I've heard stories of the paddle.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pay particular attention to the underlined ;) Good or bad, highschool matters very little in the overall spectrum of your life and doesn't remotely define you.

As of today, it does. Education had consumed over 60% of my life so far. It's very hard to blow off that much of my life at my age.

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pay particular attention to the underlined ;) Good or bad, highschool matters very little in the overall spectrum of your life and doesn't remotely define you.

Become who your meant to be. Seek out interesting and like minded people. Seek out enriching experiences and relationships. Challenge yourself.

yup, I hated high school and I love my life now.

Baer, I wouldn't accept any scenarios of the future that you don't want to accept. If you think about how much you've changed your life already, think about how much you can continue to change it. I once heard that a man always overestimates what he can accomplish in a year, but always underestimates what he can accomplish in 10 years. Look at a chart that deals with compound interest in regards to money/investing (how a little bit of money grows to an enormous amount). it works the same way with making small positive corrections and habits in life...ten years down the road you won't even recognize yourself.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Have you entered any sort of post-secondary yet? If you intend to, that is.

I found it to be so dramatically different from high school. It was refreshing.

35 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I have yet to decide whether I want to go to post secondary, but I do love travelling. I'm going to London next month and I am so stoked!!! I'm trying to find something I enjoy and I think travelling will open my mind to new ideals

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Ah, didn't even see that. I've ran into people from high school that have done some extensive travelling and it seemed to do wonders for them. If not for money I'd be doing the same thing.

I don't know if I will ever go to school again. My grades really dropped off once I entered high school. Some people say I'm smart, but I'm certainly not book smart. I tried doing an at-home course and was dumbfounded (it was math).

I've been lucky enough to have my parents chip in to help. My parents are two of the nicest, most thoughtful people I know and I aspire to be like them one day I don't know where I'd be without their help. Probably on the street, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

But mostly I've been working my sorry ass off and saving money for the last 6 months to be able to go on a trip like this.

4 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I don't know if I will ever go to school again. My grades really dropped off once I entered high school. Some people say I'm smart, but I'm certainly not book smart. I tried doing an at-home course and was dumbfounded (it was math).

I've been lucky enough to have my parents chip in to help. My parents are two of the nicest, most thoughtful people I know and I aspire to be like them one day I don't know where I'd be without their help. Probably on the street, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

But mostly I've been working my sorry ass off and saving money for the last 6 months to be able to go on a trip like this.

Traditional academics aren't for everyone and that's fine. There's plenty of other viable careers you could get into without a university degree. Then again, 5 years from now you may have a total change of heart. It's tough to say in those late teen/early twenties years.

14 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

As of today, it does. Education had consumed over 60% of my life so far. It's very hard to blow off that much of my life at my age.

It's not so much about 'blowing it off'... just get out there and start changing that percentage with things that make you happy, challenge you and enrich you. Before long, not only will that percentage shrink but you'll stop caring about what the percentage was at all.

21 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

You're about to begin a vicious cycle.

That's how I've spent the past 4 years of my life now.

If this "cycle" ends with a vacation every 6 months, then I accept it's presence.

19 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Traditional academics aren't for everyone and that's fine. There's plenty of other viable careers you could get into without a university degree. Then again, 5 years from now you may have a total change of heart. It's tough to say in those late teen/early twenties years.

100% agree. I just haven't figured out what I want to do yet.

Grades  8 and 9 were pure utter hell on earth.  I was very shy and very quiet ..... not athletic in the slightest so was prime fodder for a couple of bullies who tormented me every single day of school for two years.  Have I mentioned that grades 8 and 9 were pure hell on earth?

Grade 10 was the move to a big high school.....not looked forward to except to get away from such close quarters with the two girls who made my life a nightmare. And then....... life changed so drastically for the better......a solid group of friends,  good grades.. discovered running track. The new school afforded me the ability to fade into the walls if I wanted to but suddenly I didn’t want that anymore.

Then my Dad came home one day and said we were moving.  I threatened to run away from home. School life (and let’s face it, high school and friends were your life at that age) had just finally come together......life was grand....... and now it was off to a new town and new school. But when we arrived in the new town, the high school was brand new, there were a lot of ‘new’ students coming together  as there were many new families in town due to new industry ....and so, the last 2 years of high school were pretty bloody amazing. I ran track.... had a fabulous group of friends....partied some.... (ok, more than ‘some’ :P)....got great grades and graduated early.  Six months later I was in nursing school, the second youngest  student  ever admitted to a class and to graduate.

I like to think those two years of Junior High School made me tougher..... but I’d be lying if I said that my heart doesn’t still hurt over it sometimes. I have moved on from wanting to see them get the $&!# beat out of them every day on a regular basis for the number of days they tormented me but as an adult, I’ve come to realize that karma will catch up to them.  What it made me is a fierce anti-bullying advocate. I cannot abide a bully whether it be an adult or a child......and I do not bite my tongue any longer or keep quiet when I see it.

So high school for me was a Hate/Love relationship.

In hindsight it was mainly a waste but I enjoyed senior year mainly because I hit 18 and as a kid the desire was on grown women and I started hooking women in their 20's and it satisfied my kinks at the time. It was pretty exciting. Though overall HS felt like a broken system. A really slow process built on gaming the system where most people cheated (this was as tech started to advance but teachers were still slow). Even most teachers never took it seriously. My last memory was of my last period teacher who was 22 and didn't want to teach history so she let us watch videos of her playing lacrosse in college. 

Though I don't feel things have changed much as I still talk to some HS kids casually which is like the same experience though I have much more freedoms now.

Archived