The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France to Take 30,000 Syrian Refugees

nucklehead

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/11/one-country-youd-expect-reject-syrian-refugees-wants-take-30000

French President Francois Hollande said on Wednesday at a meeting of French mayors that France will accept 30,000 refugees over the next two years, calling it his country's "humanitarian duty." The announcement earned a standing ovation from the mayors, according to the Washington Post.

France had already committed to take in just over 24,000 refugees under the terms of a mandatory EU quota plan that was adopted in September. Extending that commitment to 30,000 is one of the few positive signs for the EU's efforts, largely led by Germany, to spread refugees more equitably across the continent.

its a humanitarian thing to do.. agreed ... but for sure with caution... sometimes even with the insanity of whats going over there we still have to be cautious... people are well trained to cry when there beaten....enough for forgiveness till you turn your back and you get stabbed in the back just for being nice! . just saying it is a way of strategy for these people where we wouldn't even comprehend that... i mean i am not just saying this.... i specifically remember reading an article where isis said they would flood areas with refugees...they where threatening... and by doing this they hurt us economically... taking away jobs, taking over companies, they have people all over the place and no its no conspiracy, people are blind to it... just simply blind... 

43 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

We are bombing Syria.  We have a vested interest in this conflict and it's insane if anyone is going to ignore the mass exodus that's going on over there.

Canada only participated in 4 airstrikes in Syria:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2204836/isis-mission-reality-check-canada-has-participated-in-4-airstrikes-over-syria/

We haven't participated in any for months, and our current PM has announced that we won't be participating in any more. We do not have a "Vested interest" in Syria.

8 minutes ago, taxi said:

Canada only participated in 4 airstrikes in Syria:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2204836/isis-mission-reality-check-canada-has-participated-in-4-airstrikes-over-syria/

We haven't participated in any for months, and our current PM has announced that we won't be participating in any more. We do not have a "Vested interest" in Syria.

So we are not training the Kurds?  

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

So we are not training the Kurds?  

Canada has no troops in Syria currently. We had about 70 troops in the Erbil region of Iraq, which is nowhere near Syria. Canada has stated they will withdraw these troops, I'm not sure if they are still there.

I think these refugees should just be given a bankrupt ridden Greek Island and temporarily establish a home there lol... 

OR actually move to a country that needs people like Russia or Japan to replace the brain drain and low birth rates..

On a serious note I fear for these refugees.. they might think their lives will be better moving to Canada or any other first world country, but the amount of anti-refugee stances and in-general anti-muslim hate brewing they could be in danger.. 

39 minutes ago, taxi said:

Canada has no troops in Syria currently. We had about 70 troops in the Erbil region of Iraq, which is nowhere near Syria. Canada has stated they will withdraw these troops, I'm not sure if they are still there.

Actually Canada is adding more troops to train local forces to fight the terrorists. Canada is withdrawing its fighter jets from Iraq and Syria.

1 hour ago, taxi said:

You have a source for that?

Canada's fighter jets may not be in the skies bombing Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) for too much longer, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he wants more Canadians on the ground helping to train local soldiers to fight the terrorist group.

"Obviously we committed throughout the campaign and I've committed repeatedly to my allies that we were going to do more on the training front and that means obviously more than 69 trainers," Trudeau said Tuesday.

That's the number of Canadian special forces members the Conservatives sent to Iraq in 2014 to train Kurdish forces and the Iraqi military.

Rest of the article is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-iraq-trainers-military-1.3322288

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada's fighter jets may not be in the skies bombing Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) for too much longer, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he wants more Canadians on the ground helping to train local soldiers to fight the terrorist group.

"Obviously we committed throughout the campaign and I've committed repeatedly to my allies that we were going to do more on the training front and that means obviously more than 69 trainers," Trudeau said Tuesday.

That's the number of Canadian special forces members the Conservatives sent to Iraq in 2014 to train Kurdish forces and the Iraqi military.

Rest of the article is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-iraq-trainers-military-1.3322288

Firstly, it doesn't say anything about a specific commitment to Syria. It's far from a "vested interest". I was also responding to a poster that said we were conducting military actions in Syria now. Canada's military involvement, thus far, in Syria has been totally limited to 4 airstrikes several months ago.

Currently, Trudeau has not given any specifics on what he plans to do or if he ever plans to do anything in Syria. Syria is a different situation with the new Russian involvement. It may not be feasible to maintain Kurdish forces, which operate separately both geographically and in command from the Kurdish Iraqi forces. As a result of Russian pressure, my guess is we will see all Western countries slowly slink away from support for rebel groups in Syria while simultaneously backing up support for groups in Iraq.

The US has a mass shooting everyday yet you don't hear a peep about closing our doors to the US...of course proper screening should be carried out as you would with any country but the fear is selective.

Closing the borders also plays into the ISIS propaganda.  They don't want us to help the refugees, they want to portray us as the bad guys.

20 hours ago, Dral said:

those guys over there train their kids to hold guns and be able to shoot... do you not follow what is going on... and my user name is based on my favorite hockey player.. i don't get how you can be so ignorant towards the situation and to think i am so stupid for even suggesting other ideas...

6 hours ago, *16* said:

those guys over there train their kids to hold guns and be able to shoot... do you not follow what is going on... and my user name is based on my favorite hockey player.. i don't get how you can be so ignorant towards the situation and to think i am so stupid for even suggesting other ideas...

Most of your post was just melodramatic non-sense, the only thing you really said was you think terrorists are sending us refugees to take our jobs... and 'hurt us economically'... that's so crazy I just.... don't have words to describe...

Here's a recent article talking about this, but it's been known for a long time that refugees have, the vast majority of the time, a positive effect on the economy of the places that take them in. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-booster-economy-1.3328331)

Honestly, I don't know what it is that you are following, but it's not based in reality

Archived