The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical January-Poser

Nuxfanabroad

Now we're 20 games in, & starting to take on water. Things ain't goin' swimmingly, one might suggest. That said, I refuse to look back at the points we squandered, early-on. You've got 62 left to cut the mustard(with some lessons already learned), if you can't come through(ala Sens, last yr, yet on a MUCH easier timeline), those early wins wouldn't have saved yer as*. So ferrgettaboutit.

Time for 'what if'?

It's Jan(45 games in), & we're still muddling along, 5 pts back of a PO spot. Due mostly to ineptitude & various injuries. Finally we're getting all guys healthy, & back in the lineup. What's our best course of action?

Say we've landed quite a few calls..teams with many injuries, who'll take on some of our vets. Spitballin' a few offers:

Higgins, Prust- a 3rd

Hansen,  Hamhuis- avg D prospect & 2nd(yeah, I really like Jannik's game)

Millsy- young gt prospect & a 2nd

Vrbata- avg prospect & 2nd

Edler, Tanev- good prospect(eg:Lazar, & a 1st)

I think these returns are mostly conservative & realistic.

If you trade a few vets, & replace them with Comets, both teams likely wind up missing the spring dance. Flip side is some of the kids get more late-season experience in the bigs.

Admittedly, last season I promoted the late-season speedy transition towards youth/futures. Later realizing that JB likely promised the vets one more kick at the can. Really can't see that being justified yr upon yr.

So in short, if we're mediocre in January, are must Nux-backers in agreement to expedite the transition(aggressively) towards youth? Are there any other viable alternatives? Aside from the twins, are there any other vets off-limits?

And what D-man in Utica is going to step up to replace Edler? Pedan? Subban? I don't think so. Higgins, Hamhuis and Vrbata I see. Otherwise, IMO, too many prospects, no guarantees. Especially Tanev, Hansen and Miller (Demko is too far away in years).

I don't pretend to know precise returns..moreso, was an open-ended question as to how receptive management should be to incoming offers.

Also should their intention be to open more cap space, with an eye towards greater change over the 2016 summer?

Everyone's welcome to voicing their opinion..rather just hear various ideas, than waste time arguing them away.

no trade clauses.

Hamhuis and Vrbata will probably waive it for a chance at a cup come trade deadline. The problem is that the team will probably be hovering around a playoff spot give or take a few points. We all know the owners want the team in the playoffs so if you start moving vets, owners won't be happy about 'tanking' and losing playoff revenue.

6 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Did you forget Virtanen, or are we already writing him off because of a less than spectacular first handful of games as a 19 year old?

He's left an impression on the opposing defense men he's mashed.  He's on the list, because he would be the most coveted of our prospects for sure.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So in short, if we're mediocre in January, are must Nux-backers in agreement to expedite the transition(aggressively) towards youth? Are there any other viable alternatives? Aside from the twins, are there any other vets off-limits?

I know you didn't mean it as it sounds. I read it like the fans can actually do JB's job. (although too many here think they can)

5 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Tanev is off limits if you ask me. He's clearly our smartest defender, and he's still fairly young. If a team makes a huge offer for him, then fine. But in no way should the Canucks try to trade him.

I'd do Tanev for Hamonic straight up if that was possible.

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't pretend to know precise returns..moreso, was an open-ended question as to how receptive management should be to incoming offers.

Also should their intention be to open more cap space, with an eye towards greater change over the 2016 summer?

Everyone's welcome to voicing their opinion..rather just hear various ideas, than waste time arguing them away.

Under valuing almost everyone aside-

JB will probably be receptive to the right offers, always.

Guys potentially on the move if your January scenario plays out - Vrb, Cracker, Prust, Higgins, Shink, Baer, Gaunce, Grenier. Our B prospects will have to be part of the deal if we want to upgrade on defense, which I assume is a priority for JB.

We're in a tough spot if we move Hammer or any Dman except Weber. If he moves Hammer and prospect(s) to "team x" , we better be getting a serviceable dman back and pick(s)...well, Burrows has done a mediocre job playing D in the past, better than Weber at least. Our defense is brutal right now, and they have that damn Canucks d-curse of injury logjam, hench Burrows having to play D on occasion.

For sure gone by deadline- Vrb. Bold prediction eh.

Don't think JB's gotta work all that hard to clear cap room, think we'll have about $20m on July 1, or maybe I dreamed that, but yes, he should absolutely move towards greater change in the summer.

15 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'd do Tanev for Hamonic straight up if that was possible.

What would be the point of that? Hamonic might have impressive offensive stats, but that trade  hurts the defensive side of the Canucks, which is already bad enough. Trading defense for offense is not a good move, not in their current condition. We need to keep our reliable and smart defenders.

If they want Edler (and maybe a pick), then I'll take that all day. Islanders would probably like his offensive game. 

Archived