The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I need help, looking for a new good receiver and speakers

Trancer

Hi there, I need help. I already asked this question on a pc forum but i didnt get any replies. Can u guys recommend me a good receiver that is not expensive and good speakers for pc use. My old receiver broke down 2 days ago. And i cant listen to Music, I listen to a lot mp3s sets files  so im looking for good receiver and speakers. I looked on newegg.ca but there is lots receiver and speakers. Im having hard time picking one. My budget for this is 1000 CAD. Can u please help me with this. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Trancer said:

Hi there, I need help. I already asked this question on a pc forum but i didnt get any replies. Can u guys recommend me a good receiver that is not expensive and good speakers for pc use. My old receiver broke down 2 days ago. And i cant listen to Music, I listen to a lot mp3s sets files  so im looking for good receiver and speakers. I looked on newegg.ca but there is lots receiver and speakers. Im having hard time picking one. My budget for this is 1000 CAD. Can u please help me with this. Thank you.

Seriously?  You can't find good speakers for 1000 dollars!  Maybe that's why you are not getting help?  

For that price range you could probably pick up a sony receiver, and two sony tower speakers. Go with those until boxing day then hit up Best Buy / Future Shop for a Klipsch sub.

Thats exactly what I did a few years ago. Pretty nice setup IMO.  All for around $1000. Get what you need first, then get the sub when you find one half off on Boxing day my man. They always go on sale then.

Floor model speakers are actually a really good idea too, if you can find em.

Wait till Boxing Day sales. If you have lots of HDMI accessories to hook up like PS4, xBox one, or Sat receivers? Make sure you buy a 7.2 channel digital amp. I owned Klipsch speakers and they did not disappoint. Maybe because they retailed for 2k at the time. (1994). Now they are dirt cheap at London drugs or best buy. The same quality speaker today is the reference 2 series.  I loved my Yamaha digital amp that pumped them. Cost me about a thousand back in 99 but the same quality today can be bought for under 500. If you can find a Yamaha rxv-679 for a good price? You won't be disappointed. 

5 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Can you recommend anything a bit lighter weight for rear channel surrounds but same size ?  Trying to put together a racing cockpit and i want the best sound possible Nux.

It will be a pretty serious rig so I want to go a bit crazy with it but obviously want to my keep cost as low ass possible lol

If your only listening to mp3s with a computer... Why do you even need a receiver? 

Just get some powered  speakers. Connect to pc audio out. Done.

If you want to get more serious...first use a better audio file format. Second, look in to a USB DAC. Third, buy some quality powered speakers from say Genelec. 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5SR3808971&cm_re=jamo-_-9SIA5SR3808971-_-Product

Still leaves you enough for a decent sub and stay within budget.  I own the receiver along with a more expensive set of Jamos (bought on sale) and can vouch for the quality of both products, bought from same vendor.  The calibration mic wasn't included but they sent one out on request no questions asked.  Use your computer's digital out and you won't lose any quality due to your sound card.  Might be overkill for your uses, but if you have a lot of stuff you need to hook up it works really well.

Lotusland Electronics. Great selection of quality vintage gear. traded in some of my older stuff and picked up a Hafler pre-amp for $150. Give them a call and they'll set you up.

I bought my turntable (Dual 701) and speakers (Castle Kendall II) through CL. You may stumble across some deals there too.

On 2015-11-21, 4:50:44, King Heffy said:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5SR3808971&cm_re=jamo-_-9SIA5SR3808971-_-Product

Still leaves you enough for a decent sub and stay within budget.  I own the receiver along with a more expensive set of Jamos (bought on sale) and can vouch for the quality of both products, bought from same vendor.  The calibration mic wasn't included but they sent one out on request no questions asked.  Use your computer's digital out and you won't lose any quality due to your sound card.  Might be overkill for your uses, but if you have a lot of stuff you need to hook up it works really well.

Can u recommend a good sub that is inexpensive

On 2015-11-21, 4:50:44, King Heffy said:

Can u recommend a good sub that is inexpensive

Archived