The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This can't be right.

alfstonker

I didn't consider this better in the PGT because this is more a reflection on some of the short sighted attitudes of our fans than a post on the Hawks game. Imo we have seen mindless attacks on the coach, the GM and many of the players manifesting as a general lack of faith in the team.

For the past few weeks I and many of the rest of us have had to endure "fantasy league" coaches tell us:

Willie is out of his depth. Some even saying Travis Green should be our coach.

The Sedins are too old, too slow, too casual, too complacent, lacking the will/energy to win. Some even clambering for them to be rested in the 3rd. Well here is what Quenneville said about the Sedins, last night "I don't know if they are getting better but they're not getting any worse")

Some say, Sbisa is useless totally disregarding the energy, physical presence, leadership and push back he gives us night after night.

Some whine that Hamhuis is finished.

Miller should be replaced by Markstrom.

One person even constructs an ill thought out video/ thread dripping with bias in an attempt to make out Edler is a liability

Then there are the "fans" who say "We should tank because we are hopeless.

Then there are "The rookies will get us the win in the 3rd. They are our energy players." crystal ball gazers.

Well last night we saw the REAL team out there. Shades of last year. We held our own in a playoff type battle with the SC holders. Willie if anything outcoached Quennevhlle. 

It was no coincidence that we had Sbisa back, that Prust was back and Miller did what most of us know he can do and that is given even breaks, he will backstop our defence to victory.

Chicago lost an early lead but were always in it, giving as good as they got to the last, the Canucks took their well constructed chances and found a way to win.

Does that remind you of another team over the past 2 weeks? It reminds me of the Canucks on their road trip and it should prove to some of the mindless cynics out there that even the best team can lose in the third, even when they are playing well.

We are not going to win the Cup this season, no one said we would but when our full compliment of players are back and match conditioned this is a team that can play fantastic hockey and give any team a run for their money, despite the fact we are blooding 3/4 young inexperienced players  .We have a coach that despite what some critics say on here knows what he is doing, sure he makes some mistakes, why wouldn't he, he's not perfect and this is only his second season in the NHL. He is being asked to coach a team in transition, while continuing to win, one of the hardest things to do in hockey, yet I have seen "fans" on here call for Green to replace him for no other reason than he is coaching rookies in Utica.

Well how is that working out? Utica is 13th in the Eastern Conference, 6th out of 7 in the North Division. Why because Travis is attempting to do what Willie is doing here, he is bedding in a group of rookies and it's not easy. That doesn't mean Green is not a very talented coach, it means the folk in Utica will have to be patient.

We are all entitled to our opinions but maybe some of us should look at the positives a bit more, instead of continually looking for their least favourite players to fail or the coach to make some "perceived mistake" or to use hindsight to rip into the GMJB. There are a lot of changes to come in the next 2-3 years and that means more ups and downs for the fans to weather before we come out the other side. Let's try and keep the faith, instead of continually chewing off our own leg. 

Good post. If you really are as positive as a fan that you claim to be, keep up the good work. I definitely have lapses where I lose hope. I didn't think we could win last night but it was nice to see the team we can be. Im starting to think that we are our own worst enemy.  

Gcg

the canucks were due for a good game, and will have a few. you really didn't have to put in so much effort for this OP to get your point across. this thread might go 5-6 pages of idiots trying to prove you wrong, and the few smart posters on here wasting their time arguing to justify the OP, defending your stance. it's all a waste of time

i commend you on taking the time to type this out. take my reputation point

4 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the canucks were due for a good game, and will have a few. you really didn't have to put in so much effort for this OP to get your point across. this thread might go 5-6 pages of idiots trying to prove you wrong, and the few smart posters on here wasting their time arguing to justify the OP, defending your stance. it's all a waste of time

Go to bed boozy

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Go to bed boozy

we see these kinds of posts every time the team goes on a losing streak, then subtly point out the naysayers for rep points, once the team breaks out with a big win against a better team-- that you're "one of the few, who never gave up" and point out that "i'm not saying we're going to win the cup, blah blah, there is hope," we've seen this movie already. i'm just saying

24 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I didn't consider this better in the PGT because this is more a reflection on some of the short sighted attitudes of our fans than a post on the Hawks game. Imo we have seen mindless attacks on the coach, the GM and many of the players manifesting as a general lack of faith in the team.

For the past few weeks I and many of the rest of us have had to endure "fantasy league" coaches tell us:

Willie is out of his depth. Some even saying Travis Green should be our coach.

The Sedins are too old, too slow, too casual, too complacent, lacking the will/energy to win. Some even clambering for them to be rested in the 3rd. Well here is what Quenneville said about the Sedins, last night "I don't know if they are getting better but they're not getting any worse")

Some say, Sbisa is useless totally disregarding the energy, physical presence, leadership and push back he gives us night after night.

Some whine that Hamhuis is finished.

Miller should be replaced by Markstrom.

One person even constructs an ill thought out video/ thread dripping with bias in an attempt to make out Edler is a liability

Then there are the "fans" who say "We should tank because we are hopeless.

Then there are "The rookies will get us the win in the 3rd. They are our energy players." crystal ball gazers.

Well last night we saw the REAL team out there. Shades of last year. We held our own in a playoff type battle with the SC holders. Willie if anything outcoached Quennevhlle. 

It was no coincidence that we had Sbisa back, that Prust was back and Miller did what most of us know he can do and that is given even breaks, he will backstop our defence to victory.

Chicago lost an early lead but were always in it, giving as good as they got to the last, the Canucks took their well constructed chances and found a way to win.

Does that remind you of another team over the past 2 weeks? It reminds me of the Canucks on their road trip and it should prove to some of the mindless cynics out there that even the best team can lose in the third, even when they are playing well.

We are not going to win the Cup this season, no one said we would but when our full compliment of players are back and match conditioned this is a team that can play fantastic hockey and give any team a run for their money, despite the fact we are blooding 3/4 young inexperienced players  .We have a coach that despite what some critics say on here knows what he is doing, sure he makes some mistakes, why wouldn't he, he's not perfect and this is only his second season in the NHL. He is being asked to coach a team in transition, while continuing to win, one of the hardest things to do in hockey, yet I have seen "fans" on here call for Green to replace him for no other reason than he is coaching rookies in Utica.

Well how is that working out? Utica is 13th in the Eastern Conference, 6th out of 7 in the North Division. Why because Travis is attempting to do what Willie is doing here, he is bedding in a group of rookies and it's not easy. That doesn't mean Green is not a very talented coach, it means the folk in Utica will have to be patient.

We are all entitled to our opinions but maybe some of us should look at the positives a bit more, instead of continually looking for their least favourite players to fail or the coach to make some "perceived mistake" or to use hindsight to rip into the GMJB. There are a lot of changes to come in the next 2-3 years and that means more ups and downs for the fans to weather before we come out the other side. Let's try and keep the faith, instead of continually chewing off our own leg. 

best post you've even made

12 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

we see these kinds of posts every time the team goes on a losing streak, then subtly point out the naysayers for rep points, once the team breaks out with a big win against a better team-- that you're "one of the few, who never gave up" and point out that "i'm not saying we're going to win the cup, blah blah, there is hope," we've seen this movie already. i'm just saying

I'm just saying I like you better when you're drinking. 

I'm just playing anyways.  Carry on. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

12 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Good post. If you really are as positive as a fan that you claim to be, keep up the good work. I definitely have lapses where I lose hope. I didn't think we could win last night but it was nice to see the team we can be. Im starting to think that we are our own worst enemy.  

Gcg

Don't get me wrong Gooseberries, I'm no homer. However my main gripe is that I feel we are trying to go too fast. 

By that I mean Hutton and Baertschi would have been enough to "handicap" Willie with this year but I understand that due to circumstances JB didn't want to send Jake and Jared back to the Juniors.

If this is really a 3 year process then logically we could have Horvat, Kenins, Gaunce, Grenier, Hutton, Pedan this year, then maybe Tryamkin, Demko, Jake, Jared, Subban, Cassels, Shink, Boeser next year and next years draft in the 3rd year. 

I am not sure Jake and McCann will have given us any more than say Gaunce and Grenier.

I realise all these players won't make it but there are some names like Friesen, Brisebois, Sautner, etc I have left out. 

It seems to put a lot of pressure on the coach.

28 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Thanks TW. 

As I say it has been a culmination of a bit of frustration at the lack of patience and the short sighted approach of some of our CDC friends that led to me just getting it out of my system.

If you are right at least it might congregate all the "debbie downers" in the one thread and we can re-visit it at the end of the season :lol:

The team was terrible outside of the Sedins. What game were you watching? When the Sedins decide to coast and not play up to their ability, this team will lose 9 times out of 10. You shouldn't get your hopes up for a wolf in sheep's clothing. Or should I say a sheep in wolf's clothing?

Yup. It's like this one game negates what was just arguably the worst road  trip in team history. I can't help but think of the game against Boston the year after when they pulled out every stop they had to beat the bruins in that game then had nothing in the tank the rest of the year. Every team is motivated, or should be, to beat the defending champs.  We will see if this game sparks the team to better games ahead. Check back after another ten games and judge it then.

This can happen to any team any night. Every team will have a night where pucks just find the net. If the Canucks win 8 in a row and in convincing style I'll say yea this team is turning it around.  It was a Hank and Dank show with Crawford crapping the bed to go along with it. I'm hoping they build off this and not coast the next game.

Wow

We just came off of a 7 game road trip with 1 win, the Sedins have an almost historic night. And you proclaim this is the type of team we really are? Although I like your enthusiasm, don't you think it is a little early to be breaking out the champagne. I do agree that we did miss Sbisa and his physical presents on D, when he plays that way it  does help to create space. If the team continues to play like this ( based on one game) I will happily eat my words. But I have to tell you the trend has been in the opposite direction. Personally I will at least wait (all the while waiving the Canucks Flag) a game or two before I declare this team based on last nights performance. On a side note it was a fun game to watch I really liked  Sbiza's game  and of course D and H Sedin put on a clinic  its amazing  to see them cycle the puck to each other when they once again have space and time.

Go Canucks Go

Archived