The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we just take a moment to appreciate what tremendous humans the Sedins are?

Goat James

4 hours ago, The Game said:

There has been som talk around here that Benning and Linden should make the "smart" move and get rid of the Sedins while their value is high. If would like to inform you that such a thing would be disrespectful towards the most classy and best hockey players this organization has ever seen. 

They'be been Canucks for 14 years and have never complained about anything. They've been great role models, always worked hard and given their all for the team. Henrik has been the captain for six years and the Sedins have been the team's scoring leaders every season since the 06/07 season. They're the only players with 900 career Canucks points and it's only a matter of time until they're going to hold the record of most games played. 

The two of them are 35 years old, but they are still relyed upon to be the offensive leaders on the team. If the Sedins don't score then the Canucks don't win. Period. If the Sedins score then the Canucks might not win, but there's a chance. 

They've expressed how they wish to end their careers as Canucks countless of times, and in my mind it would be a slap in the face to not grant them that wish. 

TL;DR the Sedins are awesome, enjoy them while it lasts, because who knows if we'll ever get to see players like them again. 

This guy really likes the Sedins.

42 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Wish they could get a ring but alas it's not meant to be. From their great rookie year until now it's been an absolute pleasure to watch them. Can't imagine the Canucks without these two, which almost happened in the early 2000's. 

Reveal hidden contents

Did they die? Retire? 

It is still possible.

4 hours ago, The Game said:

There has been som talk around here that Benning and Linden should make the "smart" move and get rid of the Sedins while their value is high. If would like to inform you that such a thing would be disrespectful towards the most classy and best hockey players this organization has ever seen. 

They'be been Canucks for 14 years and have never complained about anything. They've been great role models, always worked hard and given their all for the team. Henrik has been the captain for six years and the Sedins have been the team's scoring leaders every season since the 06/07 season. They're the only players with 900 career Canucks points and it's only a matter of time until they're going to hold the record of most games played. 

The two of them are 35 years old, but they are still relyed upon to be the offensive leaders on the team. If the Sedins don't score then the Canucks don't win. Period. If the Sedins score then the Canucks might not win, but there's a chance. 

They've expressed how they wish to end their careers as Canucks countless of times, and in my mind it would be a slap in the face to not grant them that wish. 

TL;DR the Sedins are awesome, enjoy them while it lasts, because who knows if we'll ever get to see players like them again. 

the canucks wouldn't be the canucks with out them... they are awesome. good post op!

The Sedin's are vastly under appreciated for how much they do. They're really the only franchise players we've ever had outside of Bure(Maybe Luongo too.), they got us the closest we've ever been to a cup, and night in and night out, they have been there to jump start us when we needed it most. It's going to be a very sad day when the twins retire.

I know they wont end the season at this but they're at a point per game right now. Daniel's 7th in scoring. 35 years old and still top-10, we're talking Jagr production now. Obviously they're not that elite but to be scoring top-10 in the NHL at 35 when everyone's seen how fast and young the game's gotten is unreal. They're surrounded by kids in their early and mid-20s who are in the primes of their careers and can't even out-produce the "declining" Sedins.

We're watching two of the best players this game has ever seen and I'd be willing to say the two most consistent players on a single team in NHL history. Not many players have consistently put up points like this. Looking back, the twins have had one "off" season with Tortorella since their rookie campaign and even that was only an odd 20 points off their usual tallies. For the last 15 years they've been consistent offensive producers and not many players in the league can claim that. I'd like to see where Crosby and Ovechkin are at 35 years old because quite frankly I don't think they'll still be hovering around a point per game production.

They've done it quietly and consistently but you know the Sedins get respect from just about everyone in the NHL for what they've done and rightly so. I'm glad Benning is on the same page and willing to retire them in Vancouver and give them the respect that they deserve.

Great op!

The cool part is that the league seems to finally be giving the twins the respect they deserve. 

Back in 2011 when other fans and media had to find reasons to hate the Canucks, they all chose the Sedins and fabricated the idea that they are "soft" and they "embellish". 

People seem to realize how extraordinary they both are now.

10/10 thread. Loving the positive talk regarding the twins.

They're our leaders, our twin engines on and off the ice and they have been for a while. They'll likely be so until they decide to retire.

Not only are they criminally underrated players and future hall of famers, they're fantastic and humble human beings. They're true professionals, their commitment to getting better and fitness is well known. They're the best Canucks ever IMO, and we've been spoiled rotten being able to watch them play for us. I could go on, I've nothing but good things to say about them.

They'll retire Canucks, and they damn well should.

They are remarkable. For all the cheap shots they take on the ice and in the out-of-town media, including CBC, it's amazing how they keep calm, focussed, and positive. Pro athletes don't need to be role models, but they are, regardless. 

7 hours ago, The Game said:

Cool, so people talking means they don't think the Sedins area amazing. Glad we sorted that out.

Spoiler

Or, OR, they know there is a not so distant future where we'll be without them and good asset management from a business perspective to try and get something for them while they have value. That doesn't mean they don't care about the Sedins, but rather that they care about the Canucks franchise and it's future. We'll still be able to hang the Sedins' numbers in the rafters if they okay a deal and bring back a king's ransom for us to finally build that Stanley Cup winning team.

But, it's highly unlikely a deal would ever happen as it'd mean moving two high end players to one contending team who likely won't have the cap space for them even if we retain 50%.

So why are we worked up about this? The Sedins are awesome and all Canucks fans know it.

5 hours ago, billabong said:

it will be such franchise shame if the sedins dont get a ring from this team before its all said and done. they deserve one just as much as linden

I would be incredibly torn if we can't get them a cup here and have to pull a Ray Bourque and let them accomplish that with another organization.   I pray to the hockey gods that scenario never arises. 

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would be incredibly torn if we can't get them a cup here and have to pull a Ray Bourque and let them accomplish that with another organization.   I pray to the hockey gods that scenario never arises. 

I love the Twins, so don't all take this the wrong way.  Do the Twins value the Cup like Bourque?  They both have Gold Medals and World Championships.  I get they want a Cup, but winning a Cup might not have been their dream as youngsters, like Bourque.  If we can accept this belief, would they request a trade from the Canucks to get a shot at a Cup?  I don't think they would.  For one they are too classy, and two it's (IMHO) not their biggest dream that supersedes all else.

I've always loved the Sedins. They are amazing people on and off the ice and I hope that they will keep playing for years to come. Honestly, even the fact that they're twins makes the team more unique. How often do you see twins playing on the same hockey team? Enough said. These guys deserve the best and I wish we could win a cup, but who knows what the future will hold for the team.

Archived