The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we just take a moment to appreciate what tremendous humans the Sedins are?

Goat James

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I love the Twins, so don't all take this the wrong way.  Do the Twins value the Cup like Bourque?  They both have Gold Medals and World Championships.  I get they want a Cup, but winning a Cup might not have been their dream as youngsters, like Bourque.  If we can accept this belief, would they request a trade from the Canucks to get a shot at a Cup?  I don't think they would.  For one they are too classy, and two it's (IMHO) not their biggest dream that supersedes all else.

Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Hutton; all played for the Stanley Cup.

Matter of time.

12 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

The Sedins have done everything but lead the Canucks to a Stanley Cup.  They will be remembered as great players who couldn't close it out (some others that come to mind: Ovechkin, Naslund, Bure, Sundin, Hawerchuk, Housley, Oates, Lafontaine, Dionne).  That doesn't take away from what they've done on and off the ice as individuals.

Their possession numbers are off the charts, but it's too bad that the Canucks play for the Stanley Cup, not the Corsi Cup.  If only they could convert on their opportunities at nearly similar rates as they did last night vs. the 'hawks on a consistent basis -- they'd be Art Ross candidates and the team would be looking more like contenders than pretenders.

One thing is for sure, they are pillars of the community and we as fans couldn't ask for better people than Henrik and Daniel to be the face of the organization in the local community.  The Sedinary will be missed when they hang 'em up.

U forgot Linden.

Winning the STANLEY CUP is more than any individual player can bring. It's about absolute perfect chemistry from lines 1-4 + the perfect TEAM mixture of skill, toughness, size, speed, heart, etc., etc. & most importantly a little luck!!! (1994)

Linden had just as much heart as any Ranger on their roster if not much more than most. Played his eyeballs out & was one of if not the greatest Canuck leaders ever, & he still got no ring. 

Sedins Linden, Oates Hawerchuck, etc. are better than 90% off the players who have won cups in there careers. eg. Bickell, Carcillo, T.Lewis, K.Clifford, J.Nolan, G.Campbell, R.Peverly, etc.etc. etc....   U get what I'm saying....:huh::o:towel:

Great players not winning cups happens in every sport really. Just look at Dan Marino in the NFL if you need a reference.

I agree that cups are not everything. There are many great players without a cup to show for it. It doesn't mean they're not great.

14 hours ago, ajhockey said:

They are certainly incredible, even if they don't show it as often as they used to. Off the ice, there are few like them.

One thing occurred to me -- they wanted to keep that $1,5M donation silent, but it got publicized. How many donations have they done that have gone unannounced? I guess we'll never know, but that sort of humility is astounding.

Amen brother. You nailed it.

See the question is as high as we are on our rookies and think one of them will be the second coming of Gretzky, With 3 rookies and a sophmore, injuries on defence, carosel of linemates, the Sedins have quietly kept the Canucks heads above water and amassing a season they haven't had since 2011.

The things that I really appeciate in their character is how well they handle things as people. From the fans and community calling them sisters when they first got here, to doubters who thought they were soft players often underestemated by the Eastern media, to disrespectful comments other players make about them, to the constant attention to thier age and how it's slowing them down. They basically did not say a thing about it and continued to prove people wrong.

Sedins...lovely people, great players, great role models. Love 'em.

Sedins...not great winners at the NHL level. One trip past the second round of the playoffs in 14 years tells me that. Great winners drag their teammates kicking and screaming towards championships. Hank and Dank for all their talent, don't have that ironclad will to be able to do that...although I do concede it is a rare gift.

Meh Linden, Bure, Sundin, Naslund, Ovechkin among others never won a cup.

Steve Naxh, Karl Malone, John Stockton never won a championship.

Dan Marino, (not a football fan only one I know) never won a championship,

Don't make them lesser players.

These two have bled for this team, for us fans, and for this city. They have become big figures in the community. And are two of the hardest working players to ever play.

They are probably 2 of the most deserving players for a cup. They should have a Ring. And yet when things got bad they stuck with us, and continued to display grace and humility, even after all the disrespect they've received from fans (some, not all). 

Their careers aren't over yet, but it has truly been one hell of a ride watching these two play for this team. All the highs and lows. Love these two. Lets hope they have enough gas in the tank over the next couple years for one last run at greatness. They deserve it.

I wanted to bump this thread because, A- I will never start a new one, and B- I cannot bring myself to post in the other one that has Henrik's name spelled wrong. My question is this- the twins have shown last year and through the first 20+ games this year that they are still elite level players in todays NHL. If they are still putting up points at or close to this pace in year 4 of their current contracts, do you re-sign them and at what price and term ? They would be 38 years old in the first year of their next deal. I for one could see them still playing at this pace, they never depended on their skating to play their style and what many people thought was their "age regression" of a couple of years ago I think actually had more to do with Daniel recovering from the long term effects of that Kieth cheap-shot. That being said, I would look to sign them between 6-7 per on one or at most a two year deal. Thoughts ? 

9 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I wanted to bump this thread because, A- I will never start a new one, and B- I cannot bring myself to post in the other one that has Henrik's name spelled wrong. My question is this- the twins have shown last year and through the first 20+ games this year that they are still elite level players in todays NHL. If they are still putting up points at or close to this pace in year 4 of their current contracts, do you re-sign them and at what price and term ? They would be 38 years old in the first year of their next deal. I for one could see them still playing at this pace, they never depended on their skating to play their style and what many people thought was their "age regression" of a couple of years ago I think actually had more to do with Daniel recovering from the long term effects of that Kieth cheap-shot. That being said, I would look to sign them between 6-7 per on one or at most a two year deal. Thoughts ? 

If I'm JB or TL, I would offer them a base of $2M plus a whole bunch of bonuses that would take their total cap hit up to $6M (i.e., similar to the Iginla deal with Boston a couple seasons ago).  Cap is higher and inflationary pressures may force the Canucks to keep them at $7M AAV, but I would do a base plus performance deal with the Sedins.  And I would do this on a year-to-year deal for as long as the Sedins want to play and are capable of playing.

BTW, I get your point about "Henrick".

On 2015-11-23, 8:42:52, Jack Fig said:

Sedins...not great winners at the NHL level. One trip past the second round of the playoffs in 14 years tells me that. Great winners drag their teammates kicking and screaming towards championships. Hank and Dank for all their talent, don't have that ironclad will to be able to do that...although I do concede it is a rare gift.

True that^^^.

One of the things that we won't be able to say about the Sedins is that they made players around them better.  By all accounts, the players around them were only as good as they were and nothing the Sedins did inspired any of them to play at the "next" gear that these players never thought they had.  But that's not on the Sedins...that's on the players around them.

Watching them play the last couple of weeks, there's no doubt in my mind just how special of players they are.  However, their success has not translated into team success.  The rest of the team are playing like slugs and it seems like nothing the Sedins have done inspires the others to want to do more than they are capable of. 

When they are done, I will remember the Sedins as great players who couldn't lead their team by the boot straps to the promised land...and I will remember management regimes that were incapable of finding the Sedins with complementary players up and down the line up that were good enough or capable enough to want to be led to the promised land.

On 2015-11-23, 8:16:37, smokes said:

r

See the question is as high as we are on our rookies and think one of them will be the second coming of Gretzky, With 3 rookies and a sophmore, injuries on defence, carosel of linemates, the Sedins have quietly kept the Canucks heads above water and amassing a season they haven't had since 2011.

The things that I really appeciate in their character is how well they handle things as people. From the fans and community calling them sisters when they first got here, to doubters who thought they were soft players often underestemated by the Eastern media, to disrespectful comments other players make about them, to the constant attention to thier age and how it's slowing them down. They basically did not say a thing about it and continued to prove people wrong.

Well said.

Rather than fight back with words, they used actions.  Shut up the morons who called them sisters, etc. and have been great sports.  They've never stooped to that level and it's a huge jump in class in representing the league this way.

It's part of sports to have all the colour commentary, trash talk, etc...but isn't it nice to also have a couple of very humble guys who steer clear of that and just play the game?  Incredibly well to boot?

We should be so absolutely proud of what they've brought to this team...true leaders in every sense of the word.

"One of the things that we won't be able to say about the Sedins is that they made players around them better.  By all accounts, the players around them were only as good as they were and nothing the Sedins did inspired any of them to play at the "next" gear that these players never thought they had.  But that's not on the Sedins...that's on the players around them"

I'd have to disagree, I don't recall any player that played a season with them not having a career best.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

"One of the things that we won't be able to say about the Sedins is that they made players around them better.  By all accounts, the players around them were only as good as they were and nothing the Sedins did inspired any of them to play at the "next" gear that these players never thought they had.  But that's not on the Sedins...that's on the players around them"

I'd have to disagree, I don't recall any player that played a season with them not having a career best.

Just thought that exact same thought, gurn.  Of course they do.

On 2015-11-23, 8:42:52, Jack Fig said:

The way you've undermined them is a bit alarming to me....especially in the first attribute: "lovely people", as if that's number one in the Sedins' greatness repertoire.  You've slighted them.  You've sort of snuck great players into the middle there like it's a casual notation.  Let's start there though, shall we?

Winning a Stanley Cup (at the NHL level) makes many "non winners"....it's a tough gig.  29 teams of full rosters miss each year and so much comes into play that you can't really assign success/failure to individuals.  The captains "dragging teammates kicking and screaming" towards championships had some pretty great teammates in that.  Not just that one guy, so the supporting cast along with other things aligned nicely in that.  Officiating and goaltending being two key elements. 

So let's not put a black mark on brilliance for things that really have to all fall into place to be successful in this particular championship. 

We've had some awful luck, too.  Rotten at times.  I really don't like how you've worded this.  At all. 

I think what you HAVE undermined/overlooked is momentum and how huge that is.  Perhaps you give all the credit to superheroes who drag others along (I say they have all in, gutsy individual performances and that's all you can really credit them for...if another player rises to that level, it's their gig).  But teams that get on a roll...by way of winning, great goaltending, officiating that perhaps allows them a bit more "freedom" in how they play, etc. can also often build from that (too). 

I know that guys love the grrrrrr in your face blood and guts performances...but, for some, their game isn't played that way.  It actually pulls them OFF their game to try to do it differently/like that.  Hockey's a rough sport...but liberties taken post whistle are supposed to be a no no....the league picks and chooses at times.  So inconsistency can mess with a team and while you try to play a disciplined game, it can bite you in the butt if the refs aren't doing it right.  Often, they aren't.  They waver between putting the whistles away and calling (some teams) on every single thing.

Some of our suspensions?  Off the charts.  Often ill timed. 

How about injuries?  That also can't be overlooked and although the Bruins (in the finals), reportedly had none/few, the Canucks were facing:

Mikael Samuelsson: abductor tendon and sports hernia - surgery to correct both injuries on May 19.

Christopher Higgins:  foot injury

Christian Ehrhoff injured:  in order to play in the Stanley Cup Finals, Ehrhoff had his shoulder shot up with painkillers in every game.

Both Ehrhoff and Higgins will require offseason surgery to correct their ailments.

Ryan Kesler: groin tear and hip labrum tear, which were suffered late in Game 5 against the Sharks.

Dan Hamhuis: torn groin muscle from throwing a thunderous hip check on Bruins forward Milan Lucic.

Mason Raymond: vertebrae compression fracture

Alex Edler: played with broken fingers.

Andrew Alberts, Salo (both possibly injured).

So let's not expect the Sedins to work miracles, so many things come into play.  Do I think Toews is an amazing captain who elevates his game in beast mode to change the face of things at times and feel you described about him?  Absolutely.  

But some have more "help" than others.

On 11/23/2015, 8:42:52, Jack Fig said:

So do we say the same thing about Don Cherry? He never won the Stanley Cup either....

How about Iginla? Roenick? Kariya? Joseph? Tkachuk? Housley? I could continue through a lot of great players who haven't won a cup.

I guess none of those players are great winners with your logic, huh. Should we say they're all "lovely" people too?.... :rolleyes:

(EDIT: I know people are going to remember a Hockey Night in Canada picture of Cherry holding the cup, but he never actually won it as a coach or a player. I just want to get that out there)

Archived