The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Jake Virtanen ready for the NHL?

Kanucklehead10

Is JV ready to play in the NHL?

Don't get me wrong. I love the fact that the Canucks are finally starting to bring in fresh faces to the team, its just surprisingly the most "ready NHL young player" (as viewed by management during the offseason) has been looking like the most lost player out on the ice.. Sometimes its even really hard to notice when he's actually playing. Sure he hits, he has the body to play physically in the NHL, but it seems that all he's confident in doing. 

Some of the most intriguing things about Virtanen coming out of junior was his confidence to carry the puck straight across the neutral zone, drive to the net, wasn't afraid to shoot the puck, which is what made him so dominant. Right now and throughout most of the games, he seems too scared to make mistakes and mostly plays a safe the dump and chase game rather than taking chances. 

Who knows? Maybe he could turn out to have a Horvat-like breakout after the new year, but I sure hope the canucks aren't rushing a talent like JV.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzyuGV5ViM

I think he is. Nothing he has done this year leads me to believe otherwise. Defensively he's been sound. Hustles on the back check. Offensively there seems to be a learning curve. Finding a centre that  compliments him seems to be the problem in my opinion, although you have to assume there is that fear of making a mistake as well.

He does not look out of place to me,except when there's a fire drill in our end (and that's just not on him,its the same for all the other rookies as well)...He looks really imposing when honing down on net with his speed,real 'power forward' stuff.

I am of the belief that learning in the NHL is the best for Jake,..not junior hockey

Yes he is.

Is he ready to score at an unrealistic pace with the very sheltered time he's been given + emphasis to play a sound all around game instead of floating around? No. That's usually where the misconception is with majority of people.
(not saying this is what you're implying OP, just saying in general)

Production/stats readiness. He's in the NHL because another year in junior wouldn't help him as much as it would to learn in the pro league. Unfortunate the AHL/junior age rule which prevents him from playing in Utica but in essence considering the circumstance, yes he is ready. 

Jake's goal this year is to improve his play without the puck and 200ft game over anything. With the bottom 6 role (3rd/4th line) he's getting, the limited ice he see's, and abundance of forwards, this is his time to show Willie and management he can be trusted by the willingness to take initiative and touch on aspects of his game that aren't his strengths. Why? So when a forward or two are moved and Virtanen will have to be relied on more to fill in, he'll play that bigger role in that better opportunity and will begin flourishing more.

As of now, his job is to improve the small things, slowly fixate his all around game, and show he's responsible enough to do that - which he has. Give or take a few, he should reach 20 or so points this season (5G-15A). Once bodies are freed up via trades/offseason, come next season, he will take on a much bigger role and be expected to play in many more situations. Pretty much the Horvat path.

...not concerned about Jake and nor should anyone else. He's in good hands.

8 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think you see Virt in the AHL next season.
BoHo looks like he could use some time down as well.

McCann looks the most ready.
Hutton IS an NHLer.

hutton is def gonna be a top 4 nhler but hes still a rookie  soo he will still make a few mistakes but other times he pulls off top dmen moves soo just give him time hes great 

You've got to be kidding me. Did you watch him in Chicago? He was a man possessed. Players, especially rookies aren't going to be 100% on every night. Saying he's the worst of our rookies (which is true) doesn't mean he's been bad. It just means our other young guns have performed better then we expected.

11 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think you see Virt in the AHL next season.
BoHo looks like he could use some time down as well.

McCann looks the most ready.
Hutton IS an NHLer.

?

Horvat was great tonight. 

I think Virtanen is ready; just not ready to take on some roles we want to give to him. 

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

Is Virt ready for the NHL? Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that there are a few Comets players who are better and are getting shafted because the Canucks don't want to send Virt to junior.

Yeah I can agree wit that. 

38 minutes ago, smokes said:

Is Virt ready for the NHL? Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that there are a few Comets players who are better and are getting shafted because the Canucks don't want to send Virt to junior.

mmm  just the way it is  virtanen has more than gaunce and shinkaruk to offer  in hitting and raw ability. Canucks will have injuries hunter and brendan will be up later in yr. sending jake to junior wouldnt make him any better especially on hitmen. Plus at deadline hopefully  hamhuis and weber and higgins are gone.

Archived