The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I'm Canadian.... Why are you?

Bertorama

Hello Readers 

First off I'll start by saying there is no prejudice to this post. If you have a point of view that supersedes the moment I want to hear you thoughts.  That's kinda the point to being Canadian.  

The ground rules are. 1. You don't have to be Canadian to comment.  2. No rule should impede you from commenting. 3. Be respectful of each other, there is plenty of room for opinion but not room for dictation. 

Finally I just want to say the fact that I'm making those non-discript rules is the first reason I'm excited to be a Canadian Citizen.

I am posting this because I feel right now we need to remember we are all normal....and no sane Canadian slash human believes The sensationalism of recent terrorist attempts at destruction are more then showcasing of fear mongering and ability to invoke fear. 

I don't really want to start a political thread but if that is your prerogative so be it.

lets keep it simple.

Why are you Canadian ? 

I'm Canadian because I was born in Canada, descended from two immigrants from two different countries. I am very certain that the people who don't want immigrants coming over are simply bigots, using security as an excuse to be racist. This land belongs to no single race, ethnicity, or religion, and is founded on the principle that all humans are equal and all have equal rights and freedoms. I am very certain, that if there were terrorist acts after the refugees came over, it would be from bigots already living here in Canada, not the refugees themselves. Its up to us to make sure the Canadian dogma lives on and is carried down to the next wave if people who inhabit this land, whatever their background is.

Here are some actual pictures of refugees (wait, you mean they aren't the dickbags you hear about on the news?)    

AFP_Getty-160475678.jpg

syrian-refugee-teen-takes-selfie.jpg

MercyCorps_SyriaCrisisChildren_0215.jpg

Honest answer?

(not what it means to me...)

My grandfather was a World War one refugee. Orphaned from a part of the Ukraine which is now Poland to Russia. Just young enough not to be forced to the front by the Russians. Instead worked war camps. And made his way to Poland after the war to find work. To get away. And made his way to Canada as a stowaway from Gdansk on a boat. I think he thought he was going to Germany. It does not matter but was just fortunate.

People of every religion fled, were killed and helped each other survive. He owed his life to many. Its these he remembered. Anyone who came in peace was always welcome. He would share any food he had.

I am a Canadian because of my grandfather. And I don't and wont judge many who want to be here!

4 hours ago, hsedin33 said:

I'm Canadian because I was born in Canada, descended from two immigrants from two different countries. I am very certain that the people who don't want immigrants coming over are simply bigots, using security as an excuse to be racist. This land belongs to no single race, ethnicity, or religion, and is founded on the principle that all humans are equal and all have equal rights and freedoms. I am very certain, that if there were terrorist acts after the refugees came over, it would be from bigots already living here in Canada, not the refugees themselves. Its up to us to make sure the Canadian dogma lives on and is carried down to the next wave if people who inhabit this land, whatever their background is.

Here are some actual pictures of refugees (wait, you mean they aren't the dickbags you hear about on the news?)    

AFP_Getty-160475678.jpg

syrian-refugee-teen-takes-selfie.jpg

MercyCorps_SyriaCrisisChildren_0215.jpg

Actually the country was founded on a land grab by greed and systematic destruction of the indigenous people who were here for hundreds of years prior. Our fore fathers were as brutal as the extremist's we hate today.

I'm Canadian because I know what a chesterfield is (it's a couch)...I have had to plug my car in overnight, even though it wasn't an electric car...I build with drywall, not sheetrock...I understand that a robertson drill bit is far superior to a phillips and (most importantly) I have never uttered the phrase "Ice hockey". It's just "hockey". 

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

Actually the country was founded on a land grab by greed and systematic destruction of the indigenous people who were here for hundreds of years prior. Our fore fathers were as brutal as the extremist's we hate today.

That's an overstatement... to date there has never been a single reported case of the Gov't of Canada using suicide  bombers on Native's during the signing of the treaties. Also, no beheadings by the gov't or mass executions. Also, as mentioned, treaties were signed by both parties.

Now, if you'd argued that Canada did not live up to it's treaty commitments, by all means you have my vote. However comparing Jihadists to Canadian settlers is the worst kind of hyperbole.

I'm Canadian because I was born here, in Calgary....but don't hold that against me.

17 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

That's an overstatement... to date there has never been a single reported case of the Gov't of Canada using suicide  bombers on Native's during the signing of the treaties. Also, no beheadings by the gov't or mass executions. Also, as mentioned, treaties were signed by both parties.

Now, if you'd argued that Canada did not live up to it's treaty commitments, by all means you have my vote. However comparing Jihadists to Canadian settlers is the worst kind of hyperbole.

I'm Canadian because I was born here, in Calgary....but don't hold that against me.

Actually, I don't think it is an overstatement. The settlers of the day may not have used suicide bombers, but we certainly did use smallpox as a weapon and did try to eradicate the first nation's food supplies (bison). Despicable acts, but hardly unique. History is replete with populations world-wide trying to exterminate each other. Ask any neanderthal.

Oh, wait... you can't. We did a particularly good job there. Even took some of their DNA (unless you're African)

So, it's what we ALL are. And if you think your particular group is different, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

2 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Actually, I don't think it is an overstatement. The settlers of the day may not have used suicide bombers, but we certainly did use smallpox as a weapon and did try to eradicate the first nation's food supplies (bison). Despicable acts, but hardly unique. History is replete with populations world-wide trying to exterminate each other. Ask any neanderthal.

Oh, wait... you can't. We did a particularly good job there. Even took some of their DNA (unless you're African)

So, it's what we ALL are. And if you think your particular group is different, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

First of all, you're implying that settlers knew how immune systems worked & knew that Native's would be particularly susceptible. Secondly, the near extinction of the Bison took place in the later half of the 19th century...over 300 years after settlers had landed. Thirdly, what happened to Neanderthal man is a very hot topic of debate among scholars, & the fossil record isn't conclusive whatsoever. The fact that their DNA is in the modern human gene pool demonstrates that Homo Sapien & Neanderthal's bred together...you can't "steal" DNA outside of a laboratory.

Yeah, keep comparing suicide bombers to settlers, seems like you've really thought out your position.

Archived