The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL to have cocaine testing by end of season

Mackcanuck

Just now, slickjim23 said:

Alcohol abuse, which is prevalent in much more people, is worse than responsibly using cocaine.

Alcohol is much easier to get.  It's also much easier to use alcohol responsibly, cant say the same from cocaine.  From what I've seen personally though.  I know a few functioning alcoholics.  Cant say the same about functioning cocaine addicts.

2 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Alcohol is much easier to get.  It's also much easier to use alcohol responsibly, cant say the same from cocaine.  From what I've seen personally though.  I know a few functioning alcoholics.  Cant say the same about functioning cocaine addicts.

The tech industry is full of functioning cocaine addicts haha. 

Sucks it ruined Kassian's career with Vancouver. He was such a promising player. 

12 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

The ones I know are always teetering on that edge of functioning and not; naturally sometimes they fall of it every now and again. It's not pretty. The people I know who do manage to function are the kind of people I have very little respect for (regardless of their usage history). Simply, they're generally closed minded, self-indulgent D-bags who tend to bring many people close to them down, usually because they're purely out for themselves. 

13 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

It makes more sense than outright banning it, and vilifying players for it. It's going to end up turning into a PC witch hunt for whatever player is 'exposed'. It should be let be.

I simply disagree.

12 minutes ago, Gaz in the City said:

That's because of how socially acceptable it is. (Almost) literally everybody I know drinks. I drink and I've felt the negative effects of it before. Doesn't mean I'll ever defend it in a debate.

So just because it's more 'socially acceptable', it's less worse? Come on, man. ANYTHING in excess is worse than ANYTHING in moderation.

So just because it's more 'socially acceptable', it's less worse? Come on, man. ANYTHING in excess is worse than ANYTHING in moderation.

By social acceptable, he means it's more prominent. It's a lot more prominent; therefore, your argument about alcohol is quite skewed.

Curious, do you also think the NHL should provide "clean meth" to the players? How about "clean ecstasy"? Clean cyanide pills?Perhaps all of the bad drugs should be placed in a vending machine. The company could be called "Mess Your Life Up Inc." And who cares about the law, right?

1 minute ago, Gaz in the City said:

Did you read the last sentence in my post? I'm not defending it; I was merely pointing to the reason why it is more prevalent.

So why are you even arguing that moderate cocaine use is worse than alcohol abuse? People don't seem to realize that not all athletes are uneducated and stupid. The stupid ones are the ones who let it get out of control and ruin their lives. The others are the ones who enjoy it in moderation, and use it as a recreational device... Goes for both Cocaine and Alcohol.

24 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Athletes take care of their bodies by eating right, taking supplements, exercising and toning, etc. Why shouldn't they be able to responsibly enjoy themselves on a high? Think about dieting. If you're on a strict diet, and you decide to cheat one day and have a chocolate bar, does it really do that much damage? The answer is no. Having blow once in a while is NOT a problem, just like having a few rips of a bong once in a while is NOT a problem. Alcohol abuse is worse. Much worse. 

Cocaine quickly enters the bloodstream and travels to the brain.

Deep in the brain, cocaine interferes with the chemical messengers -- neurotransmitters -- that nerves use to communicate with each other. Cocaine blocks norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, and other neurotransmitters from being reabsorbed.

Cocaine is responsible for more U.S. emergency room visits than any other illegal drug. Cocaine harms the brain, heart, blood vessels, and lungs -- and can even cause sudden death. Here's what happens in the body:

Heart. Cocaine is bad for the heart. Cocaine increases heart rate and blood pressure while constricting the arteries supplying blood to the heart. The result can be a heart attack, even in young people without heart disease. Cocaine can also trigger a deadly abnormal heart rhythm called arrhythmia.

Brain. Cocaine can constrict blood vessels in the brain, causing strokes. This can happen even in young people without other risk factors for strokes. Cocaine causes seizures and can lead to bizarre or violent behavior.

Lungs and respiratory system. Snorting cocaine damages the nose and sinuses. Regular use can cause nasal perforation. Smoking crack cocaine irritates the lungs and, in some people, causes permanent lung damage.

Gastrointestinal tract. Cocaine constricts blood vessels supplying the gut. The resulting oxygen starvation can cause ulcers, or even perforation of the stomach or intestines.

Kidneys. Cocaine can cause sudden, overwhelming kidney failure through a process called rhabdomyolysis. In people with high blood pressure, regular cocaine use can accelerate the long-term kidney damage caused by high blood pressure.

Sexual function. Although cocaine has a reputation as an aphrodisiac, it actually may make you less able to finish what you start. Chronic cocaine use can impair sexual function in men and women. In men, cocaine can cause delayed or impaired ejaculation.

1 minute ago, slickjim23 said:

So why are you even arguing that moderate cocaine use is worse than alcohol abuse? People don't seem to realize that not all athletes are uneducated and stupid. The stupid ones are the ones who let it get out of control and ruin their lives. The others are the ones who enjoy it in moderation, and use it as a recreational device... Goes for both Cocaine and Alcohol.

He didn't. You just conveniently thought he did so you could grasp at another straw that's not there.....

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

By social acceptable, he means it's more prominent. It's a lot more prominent; therefore, your argument about alcohol is quite skewed.

Curious, do you also think the NHL should provide "clean meth" to the players? How about "clean ecstasy"? Clean cyanide pills?Perhaps all of the bad drugs should be placed in a vending machine. The company could be called "Mess Your Life Up Inc." And who cares about the law, right?

Lol now you're saying coke is on the same level as meth*, cyanide or ecstasy.... You are quite uneducated in the matter, my friend. Do some research on it before you knock it just because you've heard of idiots overdosing on it and killing themselves or become addicted and blowing all their money on it... Pills, like percocet and oxy are much worse than cocaine, for example.

4 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

So people choose to become addicts?  Nope...happens...it's a progression and people who "think" they have a grip on it usually find out the don't after they don't.  It's how it works.  It's not about stupidity, it's about how their body will react and some will have an intensive craving to do more and others won't.

1 minute ago, slickjim23 said:

Lol now you're saying Meth is on the same level as coke, cyanide or ecstasy.... You are quite uneducated in the matter, my friend. Do some research on it before you knock it just because you've heard of idiots overdosing on it and killing themselves or become addicted and blowing all their money on it... Pills, like percocet and oxy are much worse than cocaine, for example.

Actually, you might want to do your research. Like deb said, cocaine causes more hospital visits than any other drug out there....

15 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

So because people are addicted to one substance it should be ok for them to possibly become addicted to another? 

If you subject yourself to moderate use you're exposing yourself to the possible risk of it becoming excessive.  Again, it happens as a progression and even smart people get caught up in it.  Especially as tolerance builds up over time and usage increases.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Cocaine quickly enters the bloodstream and travels to the brain.

Deep in the brain, cocaine interferes with the chemical messengers -- neurotransmitters -- that nerves use to communicate with each other. Cocaine blocks norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, and other neurotransmitters from being reabsorbed.

Cocaine is responsible for more U.S. emergency room visits than any other illegal drug. Cocaine harms the brain, heart, blood vessels, and lungs -- and can even cause sudden death. Here's what happens in the body:

Heart. Cocaine is bad for the heart. Cocaine increases heart rate and blood pressure while constricting the arteries supplying blood to the heart. The result can be a heart attack, even in young people without heart disease. Cocaine can also trigger a deadly abnormal heart rhythm called arrhythmia.

Brain. Cocaine can constrict blood vessels in the brain, causing strokes. This can happen even in young people without other risk factors for strokes. Cocaine causes seizures and can lead to bizarre or violent behavior.

Lungs and respiratory system. Snorting cocaine damages the nose and sinuses. Regular use can cause nasal perforation. Smoking crack cocaine irritates the lungs and, in some people, causes permanent lung damage.

Gastrointestinal tract. Cocaine constricts blood vessels supplying the gut. The resulting oxygen starvation can cause ulcers, or even perforation of the stomach or intestines.

Kidneys. Cocaine can cause sudden, overwhelming kidney failure through a process called rhabdomyolysis. In people with high blood pressure, regular cocaine use can accelerate the long-term kidney damage caused by high blood pressure.

Sexual function. Although cocaine has a reputation as an aphrodisiac, it actually may make you less able to finish what you start. Chronic cocaine use can impair sexual function in men and women. In men, cocaine can cause delayed or impaired ejaculation.

Yes, because a healthy athlete who's whole career is about being in the best shape of their life, on heavy vitamins and positive well being supplements, where their immune system is frankly much more advanced than the average person, is the same as a junkie, diabetic, obese person, out of shape person, etc having a rare occurance where a little bit of cocaine causes a negative effect on them.... You have to realize the athletes that do this stuff are much more suited to be doing it than the average person. They put so many different things in their body that will frankly counteract a lot of damage cocaine could potentially do, and are in the best shape of their life, that it is not NEARLY as much of a problem than your average overweight/unhealthy American. Guess what? A little bit of alcohol can send you to the emergency room as well... On a certain type of antibiotic? It could react and ultimately kill you... See? I can take the most negative side effects of something and apply it and make it look like a horrible thing when done in moderation too.

9 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

My argument is street drugs are potentially dangerous in any dosage to any person. Much of it may vary at first on the person's initial health and body type, but prolonged use will catch up to you, and it will hurt not only you but those who care about you in many different ways. Not cocaine vs. alcohol; both can yield the same results.

Yes, because a healthy athlete who's whole career is about being in the best shape of their life, on heavy vitamins and positive well being supplements, where their immune system is frankly much more advanced than the average person, is the same as a junkie, diabetic, obese person, out of shape person, etc having a rare occurance where a little bit of cocaine causes a negative effect on them.... You have to realize the athletes that do this stuff are much more suited to be doing it than the average person. They put so many different things in their body that will frankly counteract a lot of damage cocaine could potentially do, and are in the best shape of their life, that it is not NEARLY as much of a problem than your average overweight/unhealthy American. Guess what? A little bit of alcohol can send you to the emergency room as well... On a certain type of antibiotic? It could react and ultimately kill you... See? I can take the most negative side effects of something and apply it and make it look like a horrible thing when done in moderation too.

This is the absolute biggest bunch of bunk I've ever heard.  False.  Wrong.  Nope.

There are no superhumans resistant to the possible risk of becoming addicted or reaction to a drug.  It's like saying athletes can't have aneurysms.

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So people choose to become addicts?  Nope...happens...it's a progression and people who "think" they have a grip on it usually find out the don't after they don't.  It's how it works.  It's not about stupidity, it's about how their body will react and some will have an intensive craving to do more and others won't.

Nope, but it's certainly preventable using it in MODERATE CIRCUMSTANCES. Say if there's a group of 3-4 teammates who like to use it after a long road trip on their days off... they pool a bit of coke together, go to town on it, and it's consumed, and they go back to work. That is absolutely not the same as someone repeatedly purchasing it every few days, locking themselves inside of their house, and just becoming a junkie. You have to remember that hockey players are always on the move. You act like finding a coke dealer is gonna be so easy for a high profile athlete in EVERY SINGLE city they go to. Again, all banning it is going to do is turn it into a PC witch hunt against any player that is found doing it. It's not at all necessary. 

8 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Seriously dude.... look your stuff up before typing..... you'll find pretty much all of what you just said to be false information.....

It's one thing for people to pretend to know what they are talking about with the Canucks. It's a whole different thing to pretend they know about something more factual like cocaine where there's actual clinical tests, results, etc.

Deb has actually shown she knows how cocaine works. You, on the other hand.....

Archived