The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL to have cocaine testing by end of season

Mackcanuck

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

My favourite part of this thread is people debating with someone who is either trolling or clearly not seeing reason. 

Man, last night.... still feels like reading youtube...... lol

I've since noticed his other posts on these forums and he must be a troll. Either that or he's one troubled individual....

13 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

The harvesters turn it into the paste and that initial process is as filthy as you could imagine. Where they process the coca into that paste is a toxic nightmare in the jungle that takes decades to reverse by nature.

There is a great BBC documentary on how cocaine is made. I agree to each his own, but I cannot think how anyone can argue that snorting a powder that was made (in addition to coca leaves) with kerosene, bleach, and lord knows what other ingredients is OK, even if in small amounts...

Personal life vs Professional expectation.

You want athletes to be role models, but not everyone has to be one.  Not everyone wants to be a choir boy and cocaine isn't really the type of drug that will be a positive influence on performance.  Those recreational drugs doesn't impact the integrity of the sport, so part of me is kinda disappoint in the league for trying to institute some day-care rules for players.

At the same time, people use drugs for a reason.  Perhaps it's the high-rolling lifestyle or maybe it's just a quick-fix in an attempt to repair something that's fundamentally broken about a player.  People like to party, so there's no reason to tell them what to do or not to do.  Sure, the NHL wants to keep the image of their athletes being originally the farmer's son who made it to the bigs, but kept his moral standards and thus share its with others.... but that's just an ideal image that's not really based on reality anymore. 

Now if a player is using to mask something, that should be the bigger issue.  Perhaps concussions, nagging injuries... and they're just self-medicating.... those should be the real concerns. 

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You didn't answer the why and how, which leads me to believe you are trolling here (avoiding serious questions to continue with a rather silly argument that's reeling others in).    So why and how is "pure cocaine" not as addictive as laced cocaine?  That's yet to be scientifically explained by you and was suggested by you.

Just as having the flu doesn't make you a doctor, using cocaine doesn't make you an expert on drugs.

"Trusted dealer".  That's any oxymoron.

You are a moderate user of cocaine and have not YET become addicted.  Far from is not really something you will be a good judge of because addicts all think/claim they are far from when they step over the threshold....that's generally the consensus for them.  It's after they've plunged that they become aware...often through interventions of others who DO see it from a point that is not denial.

You are wrong on every single point you're making and the denial may lead to a problem one day if you don't face facts.  Feeling the need to justify your cocaine use despite it being illegal and a risk is step one.  

Leaving for work now...will respond to whatever fluff you throw out there later...but am hoping you do answer HOW AND WHY the "pure cocaine" from your trusted dealer is not as addictive?  You're sending a false and ridiculous message out there...but we're leaving it as a lesson in how denial actually works.  A true learning tool.

Pure cocaine is not that addictive to even compare it to laced is idiotic. 

Coke has been a big problem in the NHL since at least the mid 70's (read Dave Schultz's "The Hammer"). About time sez I. There is no way to "responsibly" use cocaine just like there is no way to responsibly use meth, crack etc. It's all bad.

2 hours ago, gforce31 said:

There is a great BBC documentary on how cocaine is made. I agree to each his own, but I cannot think how anyone can argue that snorting a powder that was made (in addition to coca leaves) with kerosene, bleach, and lord knows what other ingredients is OK, even if in small amounts...

Exactly !    Watched this BBC mini series called Amazon (maybe the same one you watched) and in the first or second parts the host travels into the jungles and shows the entire process. It is disgusting.  They look for a fresh water source hand dig a stream to a hand dug pool then they throw a tarp down fill it up with the fresh water then throw countless of packets of bleach down first. Then who knows what else is being tossed in the mix before they throw in the coca leaves.

That nasty paste once dried is then sold to the drug lords for basically nothing, then the actual refining process begins.  I love how people actually think they can get clean product ? The initial process right after the leaves are picked and dried is where most of the nasty ingredients are mixed in.

A group of Canadians went to  6 music festivals in North America with drug test kits and offered to test anyone's stash that was willing.  Well over 90 % of all the drugs they tested right on camera were not what the user purchased. Almost all the E was bath salts ? 

Some people were like "i don't care, i don't want to know it is bad"   ???   let the stupids weed themselves out  I guess.

Watch this it will blow your mind.

Please CDC if you are using fine, but get yourselves a test kit It WILL save your life or the life of a friend.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Cocaine stays in your system for maximum 72 hours so you would need to do surprise testing weekly in order to catch these players

If a large quantity of alcohol has also been consumed with cocaine, it takes even longer to eliminate- 5 days approximately. It also leads to the formation of a metabolite called Cocaethylene.

Benzoylecgonine takes longer to get eliminated. Even if the amount of cocaine was very less, minimum time for it to get eliminated is 4-5 days.

Again, if alcohol is also being taken along, then around 25 days or even a month are required for complete elimination of the drug.

http://buddymd.com/benzoylecgonine-cocaine-drug-elimination-time-and-clearance

16 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Lmao pure cocaine is only on the shrub or just recently picked off the shrub.

Anyone who thins they are getting clean product are deluding themselves to the highest degree.

It is considerably cleaner than laced cocaine. I am not pro cocaine or any drug for that matter but there is a difference between pure and laced cocaine, a big one.

23 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I've never understood the hype on this stuff. Sure it's amazing while it's happening, but then you're left with 2 or 3 days of severe depression and withdrawal symptoms when you're coming down.

So I've heard...

NHL players have coin for purity. The dregs or 10-20% purity is what most score on the street if they're lucky.

Pure cocaine is amazing lol. Street crap is buffed with meth, pig laxative, baking soda, baby laxative. No wonder your body is like WTH and depression ensues.

If this is inappropriate for the forum I'm sorry.

3 hours ago, thema said:

Coke has been a big problem in the NHL since at least the mid 70's (read Dave Schultz's "The Hammer"). About time sez I. There is no way to "responsibly" use cocaine just like there is no way to responsibly use meth, crack etc. It's all bad.

I disagree.  I have been doing it for years.  I know others that use it responsibly as well.  I also know a lot of people who can't use it responsibly and have lost pretty much everything.

Society is full of fear mongering and paranoia against drug use.  Are drugs bad for you, do they carry risks?  Depends on the drug, but generally yes.  However it is absolutely possible to use drugs responsibly.  If you listen to your Grade 10 teachers they will make it seem like smoking weed once is a one way ticket to the DTES.  Yet the majority of people who have done drugs (even hard drugs) don't suffer any long term consequences or addictions.  The people that do have problems are generally people who are downright reckless, uneducated about responsible drug use, or vulnerable (poor, abused, etc.).  

It's funny how people will say there's no responsible way to take drugs.  Far less people will say there's no responsible way to drink alcohol, despite the fact that alcohol is just as likely to make you depressed, addicted, nonfunctional, do something stupid etc. as any hard drug. Alcohol is just the devil we know.  Is the NHL gonna ban alcohol, since alcohol has been a factor in way more behavioural incidents of late?

Much like abstinence-only sex ed, I feel like the whole "just say no" attitude toward drugs does leave people at risk. The safest course of action is to not do drugs, period, but people will do it anyway, and people should be taught the safest way to do so.

I think we will eventually see most of the first world move to a Portugal-style drug policy, where all drugs are decriminalized and the money from enforcement is put into treatment programs.

16 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

I disagree.  I have been doing it for years.  I know others that use it responsibly as well.  I also know a lot of people who can't use it responsibly and have lost pretty much everything.

Hey, it's your funeral. Bon apetit. Your heart will tell you of the error of your ways when you get older.

Archived