The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN ~ MTL

Vrbata (2.5mil retained)
2nd round pick 2016

for

Noah Juulsen

MTL has approximately 2.4 mill in cap space. So MTL would only have to make a minor move to fit Vrbata under the cap.

Montreal's D is stacked and don't need BC native Right-handed defenseman Noah Juulsen. They have 4 RHD in their current line-up. But they sure could use another proven sniper in their top 6. Montreal has an abundance of RHD and could be a while before Juulsen gets an opportunity. He would have a better shot at making the starting line-up here. Makes sense for us to get younger. If Montreal is serious in making a Cup run, they'd do a trade like this for sure by the trade deadline or sooner. 

Furthermore, MTL avoids trading away their 1st rounder this year for possible rentals. This also gives our younger players more opportunities up and down the line-up while adding a prospect.

First of all. Cap retention rules prohibit teams from retaining more than 50% of a players salary. So just based on that alone this proposal already fails. In addition. A team can only retain salary on a maximum of three contracts at any given time. Since Vancouver is already retaining salary on Luongo doingbthiscdeal would mean they wouldn't be able to retain salary in any other  deals this year. JB may not want to handcuff himself like that 

Next, Montreal 8 waiver eligible defenceman on the roster already. So there's no room for Hamhuis, nor is he a significant enough upgrade on anyone in their top four for them to have any interest in him. So pass on Hamhuis. 

On on to Vrbata. Bergevin MAY have interest in him. But generally speaking he looks for more long term type deals. Even the Vabek trade was made with the intention of re-signing him. 

Finally, Bergevin doesn't give up 1st rounders for rentals. Juulsen was just drafted this spring. So they aren't going to move him for one rental they don't need and another that they probably have no interest in re-signing. 

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

Radim Vrbata (retain 3.6mil) current cap hit 5mil
Dan Hamhuis (retain 3.5mil) current cap hit 4.5mil
3rd round pick 2016

for

Noah Juulsen
Connor Crisp
2nd round pick 2016

MTL has approximately 2.4 mill in cap space. By retaining a total of 7.1 mil share from Hammer and Vrbs, we're able to trade them for exactly 2.4 mil going to MTL and 0 active NHL contracts coming our way. Although we get former first rounder D Noah Juulsen and former 3rd rounder FW Connor Crisp. 

Montreal's D is stacked and don't need BC native Right-handed defenseman Noah Juulsen. They have 4 RHD in their current line-up. But they sure could use another proven sniper in their top 6 though. Also another experienced LHD veteran in Hamhuis could complete their line-up. Makes sense for us to get younger. If Montreal is serious in making a Cup run, they'd do a trade like this for sure by the trade deadline or sooner. 

Furthermore, MTL avoids trading away their 1st rounder this year for possible rentals. This also gives our younger players more opportunities up and down the line-up while adding more quality prospects.

I can see Vrbata going to MTL for someone like Tom Gilbert.  And the Canucks retaining $2.1M so the cap is a wash (I think Gilbert is at a $2.9M cap hit).  Gilbert is a UFA this summer, so I can see JB taking him on for short term relief. 

I don't see MTL taking on Hamhuis.  I can't see Bergevin giving up on any of his prospects for rentals...it's amazing how quickly he replenished their short supply of prospects.

I have a feeling that Vrbata isn't going to fetch the Canucks a prime draft pick or prospects.  Maybe lucky if the Canucks get a second rounder for Vrbata and a second rounder for Hamhuis.  There seems to be some sanity that has returned to the NHL GMs...though that might change at trade deadline.

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

Radim Vrbata (retain 3.6mil) current cap hit 5mil
Dan Hamhuis (retain 3.5mil) current cap hit 4.5mil
3rd round pick 2016

for

Noah Juulsen
Connor Crisp
2nd round pick 2016

MTL has approximately 2.4 mill in cap space. By retaining a total of 7.1 mil share from Hammer and Vrbs, we're able to trade them for exactly 2.4 mil going to MTL and 0 active NHL contracts coming our way. Although we get former first rounder D Noah Juulsen and former 3rd rounder FW Connor Crisp. 

Montreal's D is stacked and don't need BC native Right-handed defenseman Noah Juulsen. They have 4 RHD in their current line-up. But they sure could use another proven sniper in their top 6 though. Also another experienced LHD veteran in Hamhuis could complete their line-up. Makes sense for us to get younger. If Montreal is serious in making a Cup run, they'd do a trade like this for sure by the trade deadline or sooner. 

Furthermore, MTL avoids trading away their 1st rounder this year for possible rentals. This also gives our younger players more opportunities up and down the line-up while adding more quality prospects.

I didn't know it was our job to make Montreal a better team...I thought this was CDC. Can't seem to find any of their NHL stats, are they tearing it up right now with the Canadiens? Are they serious NHL'ers and somehow we got scooped on Draft day? Before I decide to give up 2 NHL veterans I need answers...we're gonna see these boys every night in Canucks uniform...do you think they're first line material? OK, enough sarcasm...my response is...get bent.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

First of all. Cap retention rules prohibit teams from retaining more than 50% of a players salary. So just based on that alone this proposal already fails. In addition. A team can only retain salary on a maximum of three contracts at any given time. Since Vancouver is already retaining salary on Luongo doingbthiscdeal would mean they wouldn't be able to retain salary in any other  deals this year. JB may not want to handcuff himself like that 

Next, Montreal 8 waiver eligible defenceman on the roster already. So there's no room for Hamhuis, nor is he a significant enough upgrade on anyone in their top four for them to have any interest in him. So pass on Hamhuis. 

On on to Vrbata. Bergevin MAY have interest in him. But generally speaking he looks for more long term type deals. Even the Vabek trade was made with the intention of re-signing him. 

Finally, Bergevin doesn't give up 1st rounders for rentals. Juulsen was just drafted this spring. So they aren't going to move him for one rental they don't need and another that they probably have no interest in re-signing. 

That's my bad for forgetting about the 50% retaining rule. I've updated the proposal and revised it.

41 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I didn't know it was our job to make Montreal a better team...I thought this was CDC. Can't seem to find any of their NHL stats, are they tearing it up right now with the Canadiens? Are they serious NHL'ers and somehow we got scooped on Draft day? Before I decide to give up 2 NHL veterans I need answers...we're gonna see these boys every night in Canucks uniform...do you think they're first line material? OK, enough sarcasm...my response is...get bent.

Well obviously those 2 NHL veterans don't have a bright future with the Canucks. So why not try to trade them rather than lose them for nothing.

47 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I can see Vrbata going to MTL for someone like Tom Gilbert.  And the Canucks retaining $2.1M so the cap is a wash (I think Gilbert is at a $2.9M cap hit).  Gilbert is a UFA this summer, so I can see JB taking him on for short term relief. 

I don't see MTL taking on Hamhuis.  I can't see Bergevin giving up on any of his prospects for rentals...it's amazing how quickly he replenished their short supply of prospects.

I have a feeling that Vrbata isn't going to fetch the Canucks a prime draft pick or prospects.  Maybe lucky if the Canucks get a second rounder for Vrbata and a second rounder for Hamhuis.  There seems to be some sanity that has returned to the NHL GMs...though that might change at trade deadline.

We could get a 1st for Vrbata and a 1st for Hamhuis depending on how desperate teams need an upgrade in those positions for the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Well obviously those 2 NHL veterans don't have a bright future with the Canucks. So why not try to trade them rather than lose them for nothing.

After the last 2 years Hammer has had I'll bet we could re-sign him for 3 yrs x 3mil...heckuva a bargain at that price. He has ties to BC (Cougars)...so I'm betting we can lock him down on a decent homer contract. If he takes the summer to get healthy and works hard he's an awesome 4-5 choice who could step up to a 3-4 role for injuries. Add Hamonic into the mix (if we can land him) and suddenly we're EDLER + TANEV / HAMONIC + HAMHUIS / HUTTON + SBISA...not too shabby actually.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What?  You would rather have an old Hamhuis on our team for 3 more years, rather then move him and bring in kids who could potentially play here for another 10-15 years?   Oh god you're one of those fans who thinks we are still a cup contender...you poor thing.

Oh and Hamonic isn't coming to Van.   He wants to be closer to home, not further away.

We agree.  I like Juhlson (sp?) if the Habs would give him up for even both of Vrby and Hammer that's a big yes from me.  I just don't see the Habs doing that, do you think it could happen?

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What?  You would rather have an old Hamhuis on our team for 3 more years, rather then move him and bring in kids who could potentially play here for another 10-15 years?   Oh god you're one of those fans who thinks we are still a cup contender...you poor thing.

Oh and Hamonic isn't coming to Van.   

A veteran bird in the hand is worth two rookies in the bush (league). And as for your supposed inside info on Hamonic, can you quote your source on this? Otherwise your post may (and should) get deleted. It's OK to say, I don't think, or I suggest, or as I did "I'm betting", but to state something with such firmness indicates you either have a reliable source or you're just simply somewhat immature (I'm "betting" it's the latter).

57 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

We could get a 1st for Vrbata and a 1st for Hamhuis depending on how desperate teams need an upgrade in those positions for the playoffs.

If that's the case, then it's basically a 1st + 2nd for a 1st (in Juulsen).

Considering what Vermette got at the last trade deadline, Vrbata alone for Juulsen isn't too far off for value.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

The reason he wants a trade is to be closer to home.  Why would they trade him to Vancouver, which is just as far away from Manitoba as where he is now, New York. 

Because HE HIMSELF stated VAN would be a city he would take a trade to...the man himself said it. Have you been hiding under a rock for the last 3 months? He stated it in a well documented news story (look it up online...several sources...too many to list) that the 4 teams he wanted Garth to start talks with would be WPG, EDM, CGY and yes, you heard it last, VAN. I don't mean to come off so sarcastic but geez, sometimes you guys just need to give your head a shake.

32 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Trade deadline.  Need to see how things pan out, how players are performing etc etc

Of course!  Not too bright Alf tonight.  Okay, pretty much like most nights!:lol:. I do hope we're able to turn Vrby and Hammer into either first round picks or equivalent prospects.  We need more high end young players.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you so cranky?    3 months? This news just broke out about a week ago.   Yes I was aware he would accept a trade to a Western Canadian team and I was aware that he wanted to be closer to home...

People that want to hang on to Hamhuis for another 3 worthless years need to give their heads a shake.

Take it easy on the guy. He thinks we could get ryan johanson for a 1st round pick. The guys always just want us to keep the old dogs and turn rogers arena into a retirment home

54 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you so cranky?    3 months? This news just broke out about a week ago.   Yes I was aware he would accept a trade to a Western Canadian team and I was aware that he wanted to be closer to home...

People that want to hang on to Hamhuis for another 3 worthless years need to give their heads a shake.

This right here is why you should not talk about things that you know nothing about. This is one of the biggest problems on here. Folks like you come on here with little knowledge of a subject and begin spewing crap. This has been ongoing since the summer, again COMMON KNOWLEDGE (not yelling, emphasizing). So please, before you attempt to rebuff MY comment, go and educate yourself on the subject and then your ideas don't come across as so half baked. Is it unheard of to offer a 32 yr old defenceman a 3 yr 3mil contract? No, not really.

SEIDENBERG got 4x4mil from BOS

ENGELLAND got 3x3mil from CGY

LILES got 4x3.875 from TOR

BEAUCHEMIN just got 3x4.5mil from COL

STUART got 3x3.6mil from SJ followed up by 2x3.6mil from COL

ODUYA just got 2x3.75mil from DAL

KRONWALL got 7x4.75mil from DET

FERENCE got 4x3.250 from EDM

MITCHELL got 2x4.250 from FLA

GILBERT got 2x2.8mil from MTL

JACKMAN got 2x2mil from NSH

GREENE just got 5x5mil from NJ

SCHULTZ got 2x2.25mil from PHI

SCUDERI got 4x3.75mil from PIT

MARTIN just got 4x4.85mil from SJ

ROBIDAS got 3x3mil from TOR

ORPIK got 5x5.5mil from WSH

I just wanted to make sure there were enough examples for you so you couldn't claim that a contract is a one off. Also, production wise, Hamhuis fits right in average-wise with these examples over the past 2 to 3 years...so 3x3mil seems about right.

23 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Take it easy on the guy. He thinks we could get ryan johanson for a 1st round pick. The guys always just want us to keep the old dogs and turn rogers arena into a retirment home

WOW! Are you really THAT stupid? To take a comment completely out of context and use it to bash someone is actually criminal slander, in fact it's the definition of it. Are you from the Toronto media or something?

I stated (it's documented so check it out for yourself)...if you were the GM of CBJ would you trade Johansen for for a first? No, of course you wouldn't. In fact, that was THE POINT of my comment...Johansen is worth FAR MORE than a first. Folks on here prize our first picks so much, I stated that we are BETTER OFF with a player with NHL experience (Johansen) than we would be hanging our hopes on keeping our first. In fact I believe I stated "trade for Johansen in a PACKAGE with a first". Thanks for the personal slander a$$hat.

Well obviously there contracts like that out there.....what does thst have to do with anything? We have a diminishing asset that we could use to turn into a prospect and extra cap space while giving a young guy a chance to establish himself and maybe be a breakout player

18 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

And our team needs to be a blend of young plus veterans...don't throw away the vets for picks...all you're left with is young...and Edmonton.

Edmontons players came in as top dogs and leaders on the team. Our young guys now and the ones to come will not walk in as top players or leaders so we will never be like edmonton. If the sedins edler tanev walk out the door via trade then you can use the Edmonton comparison

Archived