The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think that Benning isn't being fair with some of the Canucks prospects? (Read desc)

MattCanuck

If we look at the season so far, guys like Shinkaurak,Gaunce,Kenins etc, they have all maybe played only 1-2 games (kenins stayed in Uticia) have all been mistreated and now got enough games to show us the fans what they can do?

because Hunter is a prime example, gets called up but plays only 1 game ..? like hes what 21-22 and its his first NHL game and what will he really prove in 1 game to show what hes got, Even Markstrom got alot of hype coming into the season and yet they play Miller a crap load and Miller is probally tired with consecutive games played. 

so you be the descider, as a fan, we all have our opinion so im open to hearing what everyone thinks!

Benning being fair...hmmm

Well when benning get's behind the bench and dictates ice time and line groups I'll weigh in on that.  But as Benning is just the guy trying to put the team together and competitively I might add.  I will leave that for Willie D.

And nobody but nobody slaps around the willie

I think that these guys you mention will get their fair share of chances when they are deserved and when there is an opportunity for them.

With Markstrom, you do realize that he just came off an injury, right? (one that had him sidelined for basically the entire season up until now)

The prospects are being treated fair.

Horvat had less ice time last year compared to the ice time these guys are getting now. Go back and look at his ice time per game. Nov4 8:52 Dec4 10:24 Jan3 8:41 Feb3 11:32 Apr4 10:52. Those are just random examples spaced out by a month. I didn't look at all of them as I have to open each game individually and I don't want open them all. But I saw some below 8 minutes and some as high as 14 minutes. No one seemed to think that his development was stunted by playing low minutes most of the season.

And to re-iterate, it's the coach's job to dole out ice time; not the GM.

No one has been unfair to those prospects imo - not JB and not WD.

They had an equal opportunity to earn a roster spot in training camp and the preseason.  McCann and Virtanen stepped up and took those spots.  They may have had a very slight situational advantage given the fact they'd have to be sent back to junior, but I think they earned in nevertheless.  The other prospects need to force their way onto the roster, and they may be playing well in Utica, but they haven't done that yet imo.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No one has been unfair to those prospects imo - not JB and not WD.

They had an equal opportunity to earn a roster spot in training camp and the preseason.  McCann and Virtanen stepped up and took those spots.  They may have had a very slight situational advantage given the fact they'd have to be sent back to junior, but I think they earned in nevertheless.  The other prospects need to force their way onto the roster, and they may be playing well in Utica, but they haven't done that yet imo.

Really, virt beat gaunce, shink, or Ronnie Kenins? 

You have to keep in mind when it comes to developing young players whether its call ups ice time ppl time etc, you can't just give it to them. You have to make em scatch and claw and really earn it to keep them hungry. You almost havr to put a chip on their shoulder sp theybnever forget how hard it was to get to where they are

1 hour ago, MattCanuck said:

so you be the descider, as a fan, we all have our opinion so im open to hearing what everyone thinks!

if i am a 'descider', does that mean i can't drink growers from the bottle anymore, or am i entitled to be a descider-cider-er

so you descide this first

53 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I think that these guys you mention will get their fair share of chances when they are deserved and when there is an opportunity for them.

With Markstrom, you do realize that he just came off an injury, right? (one that had him sidelined for basically the entire season up until now)

eh? I thought he was injured for something like a month.

Also "mistreated"?

1 hour ago, MattCanuck said:

If we look at the season so far, guys like Shinkaurak,Gaunce,Kenins etc, they have all maybe played only 1-2 games (kenins stayed in Uticia) have all been mistreated and now got enough games to show us the fans what they can do?

because Hunter is a prime example, gets called up but plays only 1 game ..? like hes what 21-22 and its his first NHL game and what will he really prove in 1 game to show what hes got, Even Markstrom got alot of hype coming into the season and yet they play Miller a crap load and Miller is probally tired with consecutive games played. 

Dude, you need to understand that a lot of the AHL players are getting only 1 game to

a) get an NHL paycheque as a reward

B) get experience living the NHL life in terms of schedule/expectations, and

c) whet their appetites for being in the show.

I think you need to chill.

Babych

Archived