The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Linden and Willie

fanfor42

Benning is a great judge of talent.  He will rebuild this team.  The next two years with a top 10 pick each round and the canucks will be on their way a few years later.

Linden has some magic attached to him. It's true.  You can just feel it.  

Then there's Willie. He's the guy who doesn't fit.  Listen, he gets his chance for 2 or 3 years but ultimately he's not the guy. Eventually he will be let go.

In  4 to 5 years Canucks will contend for a cup. But not before. The current group of prospects will then be hitting their stride and the top 10 picks we get the next two years will be coming ready. 

Till then it's nice to believe in a team with a future. No worries. Enjoy the ride.

52 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Cuz there's too much negativity on this site. Sorry neg Nelly. 

"Then there's Willie. He's the guy who doesn't fit.  Listen, he gets his chance for 2 or 3 years but ultimately he's not the guy. Eventually he will be let go. " isn't negative??

59 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Curious as to why you don't think Willie's our guy. What's he doing to make you not like him and who do you think might be our guy instead?

He is a coach that doesn't even fit the modern NHL style, and will be CANNED as soon as he fails to win:

1) Doesn't use his time out/Coaches Challenge often enough when his team is tired after consecutive penalty kill /down 1 goal

2) Doesn't know how to protect his players/ Line match against teams. He even match Sedins against a physical shutdown line at 1 point during a playoff series.

3) Plays favorite with certain players when there are better players on the depth chart that exceeds them. (IE. Vey/Weber) And keeps throwing the same combination of special teams when it doesn't work at all (IE. Power play). 

4) Doesn't recognize the specialty of his players. Players know their role? Do they know their assignment? Who to shutdown? Who takes the offensive zone faceoff? Who takes the defensive zone faceoff & coverage? Who skates the fastest? Who is the most physical?

Putting 4th line out at the last min and hope they score? What kind of strategy is that? I mean, I know you roll 4 lines...but you should be putting guys out with the best chance to score.

5) Too worried about losing/Playing not-to-lose mentality, overwork veterans/goalies. Making the same mistakes as Torts is doing. How many games did he give the back-up (Bachman) when Markstrom goes down? He overplays Miller a ton.

6) Doesn't recognize when to pull his goalie and just left the guy in dry.

There are a lot more, but these are just a few...

10 minutes ago, Zerox said:

He is a coach that doesn't even fit the modern NHL style, and will be CANNED as soon as he fails to win:

1) Doesn't use his time out/Coaches Challenge often enough when his team is tired after consecutive penalty kill /down 1 goal

2) Doesn't know how to protect his players/ Line match against teams. He even match Sedins against a physical shutdown line at 1 point during a playoff series.

3) Plays favorite with certain players when there are better players on the depth chart that exceeds them. (IE. Vey/Weber) And keeps throwing the same combination of special teams when it doesn't work at all (IE. Power play). 

4) Doesn't recognize the specialty of his players. Players know their role? Do they know their assignment? Who to shutdown? Who takes the offensive zone faceoff? Who takes the defensive zone faceoff & coverage? Who skates the fastest? Who is the most physical?

Putting 4th line out at the last min and hope they score? What kind of strategy is that? I mean, I know you roll 4 lines...but you should be putting guys out with the best chance to score.

5) Too worried about losing/Playing not-to-lose mentality, overwork veterans/goalies. Making the same mistakes as Torts is doing. How many games did he give the back-up (Bachman) when Markstrom goes down? He overplays Miller a ton.

So what credentials do you have to know more than Willie to make you so sure of yourself?

14 minutes ago, Zerox said:

And he makes funny faces!  Everyone has flaws; it's how they manage those flaws that's important - don't you think?

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So what credentials do you have to know more than Willie to make you so sure of yourself?

And what kind of credentials were you looking for when you posted that question in the first place?

It is purely observation and comparison with the opposition's coach during their road trip.  IE John Hynes, Mike Babcock

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And he makes funny faces!  Everyone has flaws; it's how they manage those flaws that's important - don't you think?

If he reads the forum, sure. Otherwise, it is just fans talking among themselves...

10 minutes ago, Zerox said:

And what kind of credentials were you looking for when you posted that question in the first place?

It is purely observation and comparison with the opposition's coach during their road trip.  IE John Hynes, Mike Babcock

Well you seemed to sure of yourself that you know more than Willie. I thought you might be another coach or something.

Personally, I don't see those comparisons you're talking about. I know I'm not a coach, so I don't see the point in being so critical about it. I'm sure coach Willie is learning just as much as the rookies are learning. It's a new league for him. We played well last year considering our roster. We're also playing better than expectations this year so far (we're supposed to be near the bottom if you ask a lot of the media)

Can't we just give Willie the benefit of the doubt and be happy we're finally going through the transistion we were looking for 2 or 3 years ago? Most of the points you provided I really don't see. I could go into more detail, but I don't see the point when pretty much ANY coach we'd get at this point would be given the same criticisms. Just look at AV. People were saying the EXACT same things you just said about him. Now he's apparently a great coach since he's not a coach on the team. Like seriously?

As far as I'm concerned, that's the issue. People think they know more through "observation", but they really don't.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Curious as to why you don't think Willie's our guy. What's he doing to make you not like him and who do you think might be our guy instead?

let me take a stab at this one... i think the op was thinking of last year in the playoffs when calgary was picking on sbisa and bieska will didn't play the twins as much as he could. he didn't realize the importance of doing match ups..correct me if i am wrong please op. i will go and say this... making up four lines got us to the playoffs but when you are in the playoffs match ups is whats gonna make you win...or at least come close. not playing vrbata with the twins also hurt... vrbata came to the canucks because of the twins..again correct me op....

Just now, *16* said:

let me take a stab at this one... i think the op was thinking of last year in the playoffs when calgary was picking on sbisa and bieska will didn't play the twins as much as he could. he didn't realize the importance of doing match ups..correct me if i am wrong please op. i will go and say this... making up four lines got us to the playoffs but when you are in the playoffs match ups is whats gonna make you win...or at least come close. not playing vrbata with the twins also hurt... vrbata came to the canucks because of the twins..again correct me op....because i am typing knowing full well others will correct me... 

No no no, you're supposed to say it like you KNOW IT! I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT HOCKEY! FAN RAGE! RAWR!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Annnnnd I think I need to go to bed..... lol

Archived