The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Linden and Willie

fanfor42

5 hours ago, ice orca said:

Canucks could contend in 4-5 years? hard to forecast that. I cant see all our prospects making an impact in the NHL let alone staying in it. So far I have seen only 2-3 kids that might have a shot if in Gaunce and Shink and maybe Grenier. Subban and Cassels will have to work like madmen to even get a sniff. Boeser and Demko are along ways out 4-5 yrs out from the AHL.

I wouldn't bet against boeser being here next year...

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Wait, are we talking about Desjardins still? I'm having flashbacks to the Vigneault threads, you know, the coach we had who's taken two of the three teams he's coached to the Stanley Cup finals?

Only difference is that AV had the right lineup and used his players to a point of strength. His coaching style suited his players. He was able to "defend the one goal lead" effectively because he had players like Malhotra, Kesler, Lapierre, etc. Our two way game was undeniable. Im not so sure WD has the same tools in his toolbox.

3 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

You and the 4 that gave you a plus you better not have a history of criticizing anything from Torts and Gillis to the Cam Neely trade lest you be hypocrites.

Not defending the guy you responded to but appeal to authority responses suck because if one coach (for example) is above reproach due to his position then every coach is as well.

I don't have a history of it. I don't care to criticize any coach as I don't believe in it unless if the person criticizing actually knows what he's talking about.

Usually they don't. Usually it's a fan upset over the team in general and they don't know how to fix it as they don't know hockey well enough, so they blame the coach.

2 hours ago, hearditall said:

I wouldn't bet against boeser being here next year...

No i think he will stay in college, probably what he and his family wants. It would be great if he did but is he ready for the big's yet? He has that nasty shot but what about the rest of his game.

19 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Willie's always shakin', jivin', rockin & rollin..the man simply can't stand unwavering. Indeed, should he ever stand perfectly still(like Bhudda-Bieksa, that time in the box), we'll know with certainty that 'The Big One' has finally hit the Lower Rainland.

Hahahahaha! Willie's moves are gold. And he does have one of the better soup strainers in the league, only bested by Quenville.

21 hours ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

Only difference is that AV had the right lineup and used his players to a point of strength. His coaching style suited his players. He was able to "defend the one goal lead" effectively because he had players like Malhotra, Kesler, Lapierre, etc. Our two way game was undeniable. Im not so sure WD has the same tools in his toolbox.

Granted, AV was only really able to pull that off for two years. 

This thread reads like a bad movie -  P----  B---T: Mall Cop

Too early to start bashing the coach. Given the amount of rookies, lack of defense depth, and injuries, the team is probably doing as best that can be expected. Unlike most teams, even losing a Sutter is huge right now.

4 hours ago, RaymondT said:

This thread reads like a bad movie -  P----  B---T: Mall Cop

Too early to start bashing the coach. Given the amount of rookies, lack of defense depth, and injuries, the team is probably doing as best that can be expected. Unlike most teams, even losing a Sutter is huge right now.

Actually loosing Sutter has proved a plus for McCann and Vrbata....McCann would still be playing with Dorsett and Prust

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Actually loosing Sutter has proved a plus for McCann and Vrbata....McCann would still be playing with Dorsett and Prust

There's good and bad with it really. I think it's pretty evident that the team's still missing Sutter's play despite how it's helped out particular players.

18 minutes ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

He's won everywhere? Which team was he coaching when he won the Stanley Cup?

The Canucks are his first NHL team he's ever coached. He's won in every other league he's coached.

You might want to wait a few years before you try and make that point....

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The Canucks are his first NHL team he's ever coached. He's won in every other league he's coached.

You might want to wait a few years before you try and make that point....

Granted, and congrats to him, but winning in every other league doesn't automatically translate to NHL success. The same could be said the other way around: Wait a few years till he actually proves his worth in the NHL.

5 minutes ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

Granted, and congrats to him, but winning in every other league doesn't automatically translate to NHL success. The same could be said the other way around: Wait a few years till he actually proves his worth in the NHL.

I'm actually quite impressed by his demeanor and the players seem to respect him quite a bit, which is what happened in the other leagues. At the very least, that strikes me as a good sign in my non-expert eyes.

Just right now, let's face it, we're going through a transition period. However, we're not even projected to be in the playoffs. Yet, somehow, we're in the top 3 in the division still. Thanks Anaheim!

On 11/25/2015, 7:56:02, hlinkas wrister said:

This seems to be a " Willy isn't good enough" thread so I have a question for all- What's the deal with not letting a sophomore coach who had one of the best NHL rookie seasons in history find his way ? Why is it that everybody and their dog seems to be perfectly fine with playing a boatload of rookies and sweeping their inevitable mistakes under the rug yet Willie should be nailing it down with a lineup that is ridiculously inadequate ? Here's what I think- Willie is a second year coach in the NHL and he's learning his way (don't tell me his AHL and CHL experience should be good enough, it's not). Has he made a few mistakes ? Sure, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the playoffs last year but that was just as much on the players as him, and was that team really good enough to make it past the second round ? Not in a million years. And this years version of the team ? Lets be frank, with so many rookies and one of the worst d-cores I've seen in watching this team for 35 years, if Willie could get this lot in the playoffs he would be deserving of the Jack Adams. In my opinion we are at least 4 years away from being capable of doing any damage in the Western conference so lets not get our undies in a knot about Willie and let him develop along with the young lineup he's been tasked with.

The average fan is notoriously bad at judging the relative merits of NHL players, so it stands to reason that they'd be even worse at judging something like coaching, where the bulk of the action takes place behind the scenes and all they have to gauge their opinions on are results, which can be swayed by many factors that are out of the coach's control.

I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion that we as fans take a step back and allow the coach to develop a feel for the NHL game, much as we do the players. I believe that in the long run, it will be to the benefit of the franchise.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎58‎:‎30‎, fanfor42 said:

Benning is a great judge of talent.  He will rebuild this team.  The next two years with a top 10 pick each round and the canucks will be on their way a few years later.

Linden has some magic attached to him. It's true.  You can just feel it.  

And Then there's Willie. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Wait......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9NY8R-LmIw.....my vote for best sit com theme song

Archived