The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Linden and Willie

fanfor42

On 11/24/2015, 9:32:01, Zerox said:

He is a coach that doesn't even fit the modern NHL style, and will be CANNED as soon as he fails to win:

Um, didn't he fail to win last year?

1) Doesn't use his time out/Coaches Challenge often enough when his team is tired after consecutive penalty kill /down 1 goal

Do you know there's only 1 timeout per game? He uses it after a penalty kill he doesn't have it for a challenge. He uses it for a challenge he won't have it for when the guys are tired. You save it and use it when it's most important.

2) Doesn't know how to protect his players/ Line match against teams. He even match Sedins against a physical shutdown line at 1 point during a playoff series.

In another post you said these were observations from this road trip. The visiting team has to put their players out first. It's the home team that gets to line match. Not that it actually matters to the Sedins who they play against. They're rather use to playing the best shutdown players in the league.

3) Plays favorite with certain players when there are better players on the depth chart that exceeds them. (IE. Vey/Weber) And keeps throwing the same combination of special teams when it doesn't work at all (IE. Power play).

The only "playing favorites" I've noticed is among the fans. Anybody you don't like is getting too much ice, anybody you like isn't getting enough seems pretty typical here.

4) Doesn't recognize the specialty of his players. Players know their role? Do they know their assignment? Who to shutdown? Who takes the offensive zone faceoff? Who takes the defensive zone faceoff & coverage? Who skates the fastest? Who is the most physical?.

Don't know whether to say "huh?" or "hogwash!", so both.

5) Too worried about losing/Playing not-to-lose mentality, overwork veterans/goalies. Making the same mistakes as Torts is doing. How many games did he give the back-up (Bachman) when Markstrom goes down? He overplays Miller a ton.

I'd say he plays who he can rely on/ who playing well. He's not overplaying anybody the way Torts did. Torts had the Sedins as high as 26 minutes per game. They haven't come close to that under WD.

6) Doesn't recognize when to pull his goalie and just left the guy in dry.

Again, don't know whether to say "huh?" or "hogwash!", so both.

I like the team this year and think we could make the playoffs with proper player management.

Willie does make the corrections and adjustments necessary for players but not in a timely fashion.

In time when staff over the season become more comfortable with player combinations the adjustments will be easier.

The regular season is for getting out the bugs. When WD makes real time corrections and adjustments the critics will

become fans of his coaching.

23 hours ago, menace said:

I like the team this year and think we could make the playoffs with proper player management.

Willie does make the corrections and adjustments necessary for players but not in a timely fashion.

In time when staff over the season become more comfortable with player combinations the adjustments will be easier.

The regular season is for getting out the bugs. When WD makes real time corrections and adjustments the critics will

become fans of his coaching.

There are times when this team gets it done but its always nail biting time cause they are not big and tough enough. They will get snuffed in the playoffs. I don't think the management group has what it takes to get it done. It all comes down to the fact they are still getting fans in the building. The whole outfit is too soft. WD needs to put down his clip board and raise hell.

1 hour ago, snucks said:

There are times when this team gets it done but its always nail biting time cause they are not big and tough enough. They will get snuffed in the playoffs. I don't think the management group has what it takes to get it done. It all comes down to the fact they are still getting fans in the building. The whole outfit is too soft. WD needs to put down his clip board and raise hell.

I agree the playoffs are not kind to the Canucks. I think the players should be the ones raising hell.

On 27 November 2015 at 13:23:42, Baggins said:

Um, didn't he fail to win last year?

Do you know there's only 1 timeout per game? He uses it after a penalty kill he doesn't have it for a challenge. He uses it for a challenge he won't have it for when the guys are tired. You save it and use it when it's most important.

In another post you said these were observations from this road trip. The visiting team has to put their players out first. It's the home team that gets to line match. Not that it actually matters to the Sedins who they play against. They're rather use to playing the best shutdown players in the league.

The only "playing favorites" I've noticed is among the fans. Anybody you don't like is getting too much ice, anybody you like isn't getting enough seems pretty typical here.

Don't know whether to say "huh?" or "hogwash!", so both.

I'd say he plays who he can rely on/ who playing well. He's not overplaying anybody the way Torts did. Torts had the Sedins as high as 26 minutes per game. They haven't come close to that under WD.

Again, don't know whether to say "huh?" or "hogwash!", so both.

Outstanding Baggins. 

Archived