The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do the Canucks finish?

chickenman92

Where do the Canucks finish?   

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're a little more than 25% of the way through the NHL season and Vancouver sits in third place in the Pacific with an 8-8-6 record, which is pretty much where a lot of people had them at the start of the year - battling for third, but not setting the world on fire. Currently they're on pace for 82 points and think most saw them in the 85 point range, give or take a few points, when the season began. 

• The Sharks and Kings are four points up, with a game in hand
  • The Coyotes are one point back, with two games in hand
  • The Ducks are two points back
  • The Flames are five points 
  • The Oilers are seven points back, with a game in hand

So where do the Canucks finish?

My guess, we see the Ducks, Sharks and Kings make the playoffs. The Kings and Sharks have been more consistent than the Canucks this year and I have to believe the Ducks will sort it out. The Coyotes, I see them battling hard all year long and finishing just ahead of Vancouver - they're a scrappier team. I'll say the Flames end up 3 points back of the Canucks - they just don't want to work on a consistent basis. And the Oilers bring up the rear. 

I'll say, Vancouver ends up in 11th place by seasons end.  

10th, 11th....whatever.

I said at the beginning of the season that they'd likely be a bubble team and IMO will finish just on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs. I haven't really seen anything that makes me change my mind to this point.

I will guess 10th. San Jose will grab the 8th slot, just because of having 3 teams per division. Winnipeg will get 9th on the better record. We get 10th. I don't see the 'Yotes making it; they are also in a transition stage (for them, a full blown makeover). Not that I want us to be out of the playoffs, I just don't think we are as good as everyone in the Central Division (except for Colorado).

1 hour ago, chickenman92 said:

We're a little more than 25% of the way through the NHL season and Vancouver sits in third place in the Pacific with an 8-8-6 record, which is pretty much where a lot of people had them at the start of the year - battling for third, but not setting the world on fire. Currently they're on pace for 82 points and think most saw them in the 85 point range, give or take a few points, when the season began. 

My guess, we see the Ducks, Sharks and Kings make the playoffs. The Kings and Sharks have been more consistent than the Canucks this year and I have to believe the Ducks will sort it out. The Coyotes, I see them battling hard all year long and finishing just ahead of Vancouver - they're a scrappier team. I'll say the Flames end up 3 points back of the Canucks - they just don't want to work on a consistent basis. And the Oilers bring up the rear. 

See my Sig.

11th in the west :(

sorry, shaky goaltending right now, both goalies, extremely inconsistent play, we seem to be outshooting everybody,

but...

with the new playoff format, I don't see us in the top 3 in our division.  If it was the old play off format I think we can sneak in, but not now... L.A SanJose and Anahiem will go ahead of us. 

I predicted they wouldn't make the playoffs. However, I was caught by surprise by the inconsistent play of the vets. That I did not see coming. Some of the young players, like Hutton and Mccann have been more consistent and mistake free. I say 11th place.

somewhere between 11th and 12th in the west. I would like us to NOT make the playoffs this year. Really do something with Vrbata at the trade deadline and continue to draft well. Benning has done a great job with Virtanen and Boeser so far as a draft choice. I would hope we get a really good position in the first round. Somewhere between 5-12 would be absolutely sick.

7 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Solid analysis and pretty close to my own view. However, there is one statistical factor that works in the Canucks favor -- the large number of games lost by one goal,. One goal wins (or losses) are largely a matter of luck -- a bounce  here, a call there, playing a hot goalie, a random mistake, etc. This means the Canucks have had below average luck so far and I expect regression to the mean -- better luck  down the road. So I think the Canucks will contend. But it is tough going as I agree that San Jose, LA, and Anaheim will all be tough and the Coyotes are surprisingly good.

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Solid analysis and pretty close to my own view. However, there is one statistical factor that works in the Canucks favor -- the large number of games lost by one goal,. One goal wins (or losses) are largely a matter of luck -- a bounce  here, a call there, playing a hot goalie, a random mistake, etc. This means the Canucks have had below average luck so far and I expect regression to the mean -- better luck  down the road. So I think the Canucks will contend. But it is tough going as I agree that San Jose, LA, and Anaheim will all be tough and the Coyotes are surprisingly good.

A lot of teams get better once they get their crap together after January even the dogs do to put a screw into the challenging teams.

18 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It's not luck so there is no regression to the mean like with flipping a coin. One goal games are often more out of reach than they seem (two-goal games with a late goal as an example).

3rd in Division.  The rookies will get better, Sutter's (and Hutton's) return will make a huge difference, and surely Weber will get his shot through one of these times!!  Second time around for WD too.  After 50 games I'll wager we'll be singing the praises of Edler and Tanev again as one of the elite defense pairings/

2 hours ago, sh1ftg34r said:

somewhere between 11th and 12th in the west. I would like us to NOT make the playoffs this year. Really do something with Vrbata at the trade deadline and continue to draft well. Benning has done a great job with Virtanen and Boeser so far as a draft choice. I would hope we get a really good position in the first round. Somewhere between 5-12 would be absolutely sick.

Me too. I mean, I'd love a Cinderella Run to happen more than anyone, but I just don't see it this year unfortunately. Especially if we keep getting hammered by injuries. 

Archived