The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] Upcoming Free Agents

ABNuck

I know it may be a bit early to be discussing Free Agents, but with the Ryan Johnson situation in CBJ and the Hamonic situation in NYI (as well as possibilities of Marleau and Burns being shopped around by SJ and Schenn being shopped by PHI) I thought it might be time to discuss these players before the dominoes start falling.

By "dominoes falling" I mean that this year has an unusually high amount of high quality Free Agents...and GM's would hate to lose these guys without some return. The problem for GM's is going to be the "high number of"...the more F/A's out there, the less each one is worth (market flooded). So who will be the first to break? Right now 2 main factors come into play: 1/ where will RyJo land (may dictate if one of the high profile centres is on their way out) and 2/ how many GM's actually wait till TD Day 2016 to move these guys (in other words there may be some heavy traffic between now and then). So with that said, here's the list of valuable F/A's (I only did UFA's because I believe that most all the RFA's will re-sign once the UFA's are cleared):

TOP TIER (the ones EVERY GM will be inquiring about):

FORWARDS (top 6 guys)

Stamkos (TB) / Kopitar (LAK) / Staal (CAR) / Backes (STL) / Okposo (NYI) / Eriksson (BOS) / Ladd (WPG) / Lucic (LAK) / Perron (PIT)

DEFENCEMEN (top 4 pairing guys)

Byfuglien (WPG) / Hamhuis (VAN) / Coburn (TB) / Schenn (PHI) / Yandle (NYR) / Quincey (DET) / Goligoski (DAL)

GOALTENDERS (starters)

Hiller (CGY) / Ward (CAR) / Reimer (TOR...I know right?)

ANALYSIS: There's obviously a glut at Forward and D...but look at the lack of Goalies who could arguably be considered starters. I think this year's F/A winner might actually be Reimer (he makes 2.0mil this year - 2.3mil cap hit). Based on the way he's played he might be the guy who increases his annual salary (percentage-wise) the most (probably more than double). Stammer is obviously the most valuable and he'll probably garner about a double in his wage as well, but the difference is...that's a lot of cash to lay out on one guy...and with Kopitar and Staal as consolation prizes...his agent's negotiating power might be somewhat limited. I do however expect him to land a longterm contract in the 10-12mil range.

Now to the guys in what I affectionately call the "traditional Vancouver Canucks" range.

SECOND TIER (role players who fill gaps and consolation prizes once the top guys are gone)

FORWARDS (middle 6 guys)

Stewart (ANA) / Boedker (ARZ) / Downie (ARZ) / McGinn (BUF) / Hudler (CGY) / Versteeg (CAR) / Helm (DET) / Purcell (EDM) / Semin (MTL) / Fleischmann (MTL) / Ruutu (NJ) / Nielsen (NYI) / Gagner (PHI) / Brouwer (STL) / Grabner (TOR) / Matthias (TOR) / Vrbata (VAN)

DEFENCEMEN (bottom 4 pairing guys)

Bartkowski (VAN) / Polak (TOR) / Gunnarson (STL) / Gilbert (MTL) / Ehrhoff (LAK) / Demers (DAL) / Liles (CAR) / Russell (CGY) / Grossmann (ARZ)

GOALTENDERS (the backups)

Far too many to list...seems like every team has one so no point in listing them all...basically they're a dime a dozen.

ANALYSIS: I am positive that ALL the Forwards in this group will be signed somewhere...these guys are the gravy to teams that already have good meat and potatoes. The biggest losers in this group will be the defencemen. Reason? There's a ton...a metric ton...of RFA defencemen that will fill positions 4 through 6 on most team's D-corps. Leaves these guys either looking for teams to play on or taking discounts just to keep their NHL jobs. Just worked out that way in the drafts from 3 and 4 years ago...swamped with excellent D prospects. So these guys will suffer.

OLDIES BUT GOODIES (these guys might still have a year or 2 in the tank...but could be had cheap)

FORWARDS

Doan (ARZ) / Tanguay (COL) / Richards (DET) / Jagr (FLA) / Elias (NJ)

DEFENCEMEN

Ohlund (TB) / Phillips (OTT) / Boyle (NYR) / Zidlicky (NYI) / Campbell (FLA) / Mitchell (FLA)

G-OLDIES

None...for the same reason as the backups above I think it's time for Backstrom to just pack it in.

ANALYSIS: I think Tanguay, Ohlund, Phillips and Mitchell call it a career. Doan will get 2 more years as will Campbell..the rest, well 2016/17 will be their swan song.

The rest of the UFA's are bottom 6 guys (in my opinion anyways)...and to be honest with the incredible job that most AHL clubs are doing these days at developing youth on NHL ELC's...most of these guys will be battling for PTO's. Since the top tier guy's new contracts coupled with the pay increases that some players are already getting are gonna be sapping each team's financial resources, well again these guys ahd better let their agents know that they're willing to work for league minimum.

So how about each team's ability to go after these guys?

SCREWED

Financially (these teams can't really pursue any F/A's unless they trade away some salary or because they have too many or too valuable RFA's): CHI / CBJ / EDM / MIN / TB

Talent (they got nobody, and they won't get enough players by just throwing high dollar offers around): ARZ (too many RFA's, not enough Forwards to ice a team) /  NJ (sad situation really)

So who could we pursue (we'll have about 7.5mil once we dump Vrbata and re-sign Hammer to 3mil or less)?

I like the idea of making a deal for Ryan Johansen and then maybe plug in a Viktor Stalberg type. I think we need to re-sign Bartkowski if we can't get Hamonic / Prust if we can't get Stalberg and of course Baertschi.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I have been waiting for this thread.  Can I suggest bolding or highlighting available players?  Just because it kind of blends together otherwise

All the players listed are available. I would have to highlight the whole thread.

51 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

How aren't Hudler, Vrbata and Boedker  top 6 forwards. 

I would go after Boedker but Arizona will resign him

I listed them as middle 6 guys...all depends on who signs them would decide if they're 1st line, 2nd line or 3rd line. For example if NJ or ARZ signed any of the 3 they'd be on the first line...but for most of the NHL they're 2nd or 3rd liners.

EDIT: Plus they won't be getting 1st line money either. If ARZ needs to re-sign Boedker and they offer him 5-6mil+, well good for Boedker, I don't think he gets that anywhere else.

Ideally we find ourselves a top-4 right handed defenceman and a cheaper 3rd pairing right handed defenceman. We're going to have a lot of cap room to play with with Hamhuis and Vbrata gone. I'd be happy to re-sign Hamhuis cheaply to play a 3rd pairing role but I'd much rather pull these off:

(Trade Deadline):

Hamhuis + Higgins + Shinkaruk + 2nd for Hamonic

Give them whatever they want quite frankly. Hamonic would fix so many of this team's problems. If they want a 1st, give it to them. If they want more scoring give them Vbrata. Just have to get this deal done.

(Offseason)

Sign Jason Demers. He's having a hell of a season offensively in Dallas but everyone does. Hopefully we can swindle him away if they keep Goligoski etc., give him 4.5-5M for 3 years. He's 27, right handed defenceman, can move the puck nicely and is essentially a MUCH better Bartkowski. With the cap ceiling constantly rising, this 5M isn't similar to Edler's 5M, it's more like a 3.5-4M which is more reasonable. He'd fit PERFECTLY with Sbisa on our 3rd pairing. Puck mover in Demers, shutdown physical guy in Sbisa.

Sign a UFA defenceman as the 7th defenceman for dirt-cheap. We could probably get away with Bartkowski for a similar price to what he's at right now.

(Offseason)

Sign Lucic. I don't really want Lucic here but chances are it's going to happen, and Benning will throw big bucks at him. I don't think our forward group needs to change too much, lots of change will come from within and our young guys will get a lot better.

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Hansen - Horvat - Prust

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Hamonic (this pairing will be money, probably end the season as our top pair)

Sbisa - Demers

Bartkowski

Subban

Miller

Markstrom
Demko

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ideally we find ourselves a top-4 right handed defenceman and a cheaper 3rd pairing right handed defenceman. We're going to have a lot of cap room to play with with Hamhuis and Vbrata gone. I'd be happy to re-sign Hamhuis cheaply to play a 3rd pairing role but I'd much rather pull these off:

(Trade Deadline):

Hamhuis + Higgins + Shinkaruk + 2nd for Hamonic

Give them whatever they want quite frankly. Hamonic would fix so many of this team's problems. If they want a 1st, give it to them. If they want more scoring give them Vbrata. Just have to get this deal done.

(Offseason)

Sign Jason Demers. He's having a hell of a season offensively in Dallas but everyone does. Hopefully we can swindle him away if they keep Goligoski etc., give him 4.5-5M for 3 years. He's 27, right handed defenceman, can move the puck nicely and is essentially a MUCH better Bartkowski. With the cap ceiling constantly rising, this 5M isn't similar to Edler's 5M, it's more like a 3.5-4M which is more reasonable. He'd fit PERFECTLY with Sbisa on our 3rd pairing. Puck mover in Demers, shutdown physical guy in Sbisa.

Sign a UFA defenceman as the 7th defenceman for dirt-cheap. We could probably get away with Bartkowski for a similar price to what he's at right now.

(Offseason)

Sign Lucic. I don't really want Lucic here but chances are it's going to happen, and Benning will throw big bucks at him. I don't think our forward group needs to change too much, lots of change will come from within and our young guys will get a lot better.

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Hansen - Horvat - Prust

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Hamonic (this pairing will be money, probably end the season as our top pair)

Sbisa - Demers

Bartkowski

Subban

Miller

Markstrom
Demko

So you're OUT on Johansen then? I suppose it would be difficult to land both RyJo AND Hamonic, but my gut tells me that Hamonic is going cheaper than most think. And the longer the Snowman takes to make the deal, the less he's gonna get (teams will move on and pickup another UFA and keep their picks and prospects)...so he kinda needs to do something by TD day.

5 hours ago, ABNuck said:

So you're OUT on Johansen then? I suppose it would be difficult to land both RyJo AND Hamonic, but my gut tells me that Hamonic is going cheaper than most think. And the longer the Snowman takes to make the deal, the less he's gonna get (teams will move on and pickup another UFA and keep their picks and prospects)...so he kinda needs to do something by TD day.

I'd be happy with our centers of Henrik Sedin for the next 3ish years, Sutter, Horvat and McCann. I wasn't sold on them a while ago but McCann has been brilliant in his rookie season, he could surprise people and be that 1st line two-way center most teams dream of. He's not big and strong but you don't have to be, look at Toews. McCann is skilled, his hockey IQ is very underrated and he plays amazing defence. In a few years time he'll be a great 1st line center.

As good as RyJo would be, he'd cost us way too much and besides, a #1 center isn't as important to this Canucks team as a defenceman. We get RyJo, we don't improve that much (especially because of what it'll cost). We get Hamonic, this team becomes a definite playoff team, and we probably won't have to even give up that much. 40ish games worth of Hamhuis + a current scorer like Higgins/Dorsett/someone + either a prospect who's never going to crack our roster or a 2nd round pick should do the trick easily.

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

We really need a "go to" Dman to bridge until some of the youngsters develope. Edler is not that guy and WillieTanev needs help now. Big Buff should be priority #1.

Willie Mitchell..bring him home to settle down the D would be an excellent mentor to Hutton.

Pipe dream

Trade Deadline

Trade Edler + Kenins + Vbrata (retain salary) for Gudbranson + (2nd round pick conditional based on playoff success)

Trade Hamhuis (retain salary) + Tryamkin + Higgins for Bowey + Laich

Summer

Draft: Fabbro, Cederholm, & Day with 3 of our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

Then we have to make a decision on Baertschi based on how the rest of the season goes and if we see signs that he will someday meet his potential, we keep it,if we don’t, sign Lucic to fill in top 6 LW.

Sign: Yandle

Resign: Rodin & Prust

Trade Hansen & Burrows out east for 2017 picks

2016-17 line up

Sedin - Sedin – Sutter

Lucic/Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Shinkaruk- McCann- Rodin

Prust- Cracknell - Dorsett

Gaunce

Laich

Yandle - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Bowey

Pedan

Markstrom

Miller

Sedins and Tanev would be the only be the only players we have left from 2011.  Almost a complete transition and sets us up for the future. 

The issue with lucic is im assuming if McCann has a future on this team it's gonna be at LW

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-horvat-virtanen 

maybe lucic can convert to RW but that's my worry for the youth movement 

also, bufflin has been rumoured to want 7m+ and that's a no go for me for a guy who is basically a 4th forward 

Question, if you could choose between Ladd or lucic for the Canucks big free agent fish who would it be and why? 

Archived