The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] Upcoming Free Agents

ABNuck

15 minutes ago, billabong said:

The issue with lucic is im assuming if McCann has a future on this team it's gonna be at LW

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-horvat-virtanen 

maybe lucic can convert to RW but that's my worry for the youth movement 

also, bufflin has been rumoured to want 7m+ and that's a no go for me for a guy who is basically a 4th forward 

Question, if you could choose between Ladd or lucic for the Canucks big free agent fish who would it be and why? 

Ladd. I think he will be atleast 1 million cheaper in cap and in my opinion he offers more and is a real stand up well respected professional player. Add on his cup success and his leadership qualities and I think its a no brainer, atleast in my opinion.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

The issue with lucic is im assuming if McCann has a future on this team it's gonna be at LW

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-horvat-virtanen 

also, bufflin has been rumoured to want 7m+ and that's a no go for me for a guy who is basically a 4th forward 

Question, if you could choose between Ladd or lucic for the Canucks big free agent fish who would it be and why? 

Ladd. He's a character guy. I hope to high hell we can land Ladd, guy is a true warrior and those guys don't come around all that often.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

While I've stated before that I think we have bigger fish to go for than Lucic, I would probably pick him over Ladd. Ladd strikes me as too close to Horvat in terms of play and would be too much of the same thing.

If I'm being honest, I would go for neither. I would still try and get a good defender, first and foremost, but that's my opinion.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

While I've stated before that I think we have bigger fish to go for than Lucic, I would probably pick him over Ladd. Ladd strikes me as too close to Horvat in terms of play and would be too much of the same thing.

If I'm being honest, I would go for neither. I would still try and get a good defender, first and foremost, but that's my opinion.

dont get me wrong i 100% agree. we need a top 4 dman more than a top 6 forward.

On 26/11/2015, 19:42:35, billabong said:

dont get me wrong i 100% agree. we need a top 4 dman more than a top 6 forward.

The market will probably dictate more what we we ventually get. JB has a good idea what pieces we need and he will go after whatever helps the team. Who stays(Hammer,Vrbata,Bart etc.) will also determine what we need more. I agree though that the D group have a glaring hole to fill and should be the priority.

Also, what becomes available and how desperate other teams are will also present some good deals to be had because of teams certain circumstances. Teams with too many D men or too many forwards or are against the Cap could spell great opportunities for us. 

On Thu Nov 26 2015 17:09:03 GMT-0800, billabong said:

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-horvat-virtanen 

I would go with Lucic. For the following reasons:

- His size and willingness to use it every shift

- Team first guy who stands up for his teammates 

- Still has a scoring touch, as proven by his play with Carter and Toffoli 

- Has declared interest in playing in Vancouver, should he make it to free agency 

- Tough as nails

- 28 years old, with a lot left to give

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Kyle Okposo would look mighty fine with the twins and or Hudler on the 2nd line. Maybe the Canucks could try to trade Edler to fit a top offensive dman in big buf or yandle under the cap.

Sedin Sedin Okposo

Hudler Horvat Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

McCann Cracknell Dorsett

That lineup is worse than the present one. 

On 11/25/2015, 9:10:25, ABNuck said:

I know it may be a bit early to be discussing Free Agents, but with the Ryan Johnson situation in CBJ and the Hamonic situation in NYI (as well as possibilities of Marleau and Burns being shopped around by SJ and Schenn being shopped by PHI) I thought it might be time to discuss these players before the dominoes start falling.

By "dominoes falling" I mean that this year has an unusually high amount of high quality Free Agents...and GM's would hate to lose these guys without some return. The problem for GM's is going to be the "high number of"...the more F/A's out there, the less each one is worth (market flooded). So who will be the first to break? Right now 2 main factors come into play: 1/ where will RyJo land (may dictate if one of the high profile centres is on their way out) and 2/ how many GM's actually wait till TD Day 2016 to move these guys (in other words there may be some heavy traffic between now and then). So with that said, here's the list of valuable F/A's (I only did UFA's because I believe that most all the RFA's will re-sign once the UFA's are cleared):

TOP TIER (the ones EVERY GM will be inquiring about):

FORWARDS (top 6 guys)

Stamkos (TB) / Kopitar (LAK) / Staal (CAR) / Backes (STL) / Okposo (NYI) / Eriksson (BOS) / Ladd (WPG) / Lucic (LAK) / Perron (PIT)

DEFENCEMEN (top 4 pairing guys)

Byfuglien (WPG) / Hamhuis (VAN) / Coburn (TB) / Schenn (PHI) / Yandle (NYR) / Quincey (DET) / Goligoski (DAL)

GOALTENDERS (starters)

Hiller (CGY) / Ward (CAR) / Reimer (TOR...I know right?)

ANALYSIS: There's obviously a glut at Forward and D...but look at the lack of Goalies who could arguably be considered starters. I think this year's F/A winner might actually be Reimer (he makes 2.0mil this year - 2.3mil cap hit). Based on the way he's played he might be the guy who increases his annual salary (percentage-wise) the most (probably more than double). Stammer is obviously the most valuable and he'll probably garner about a double in his wage as well, but the difference is...that's a lot of cash to lay out on one guy...and with Kopitar and Staal as consolation prizes...his agent's negotiating power might be somewhat limited. I do however expect him to land a longterm contract in the 10-12mil range.

Now to the guys in what I affectionately call the "traditional Vancouver Canucks" range.

SECOND TIER (role players who fill gaps and consolation prizes once the top guys are gone)

FORWARDS (middle 6 guys)

Stewart (ANA) / Boedker (ARZ) / Downie (ARZ) / McGinn (BUF) / Hudler (CGY) / Versteeg (CAR) / Helm (DET) / Purcell (EDM) / Semin (MTL) / Fleischmann (MTL) / Ruutu (NJ) / Nielsen (NYI) / Gagner (PHI) / Brouwer (STL) / Grabner (TOR) / Matthias (TOR) / Vrbata (VAN)

DEFENCEMEN (bottom 4 pairing guys)

Bartkowski (VAN) / Polak (TOR) / Gunnarson (STL) / Gilbert (MTL) / Ehrhoff (LAK) / Demers (DAL) / Liles (CAR) / Russell (CGY) / Grossmann (ARZ)

GOALTENDERS (the backups)

Far too many to list...seems like every team has one so no point in listing them all...basically they're a dime a dozen.

ANALYSIS: I am positive that ALL the Forwards in this group will be signed somewhere...these guys are the gravy to teams that already have good meat and potatoes. The biggest losers in this group will be the defencemen. Reason? There's a ton...a metric ton...of RFA defencemen that will fill positions 4 through 6 on most team's D-corps. Leaves these guys either looking for teams to play on or taking discounts just to keep their NHL jobs. Just worked out that way in the drafts from 3 and 4 years ago...swamped with excellent D prospects. So these guys will suffer.

OLDIES BUT GOODIES (these guys might still have a year or 2 in the tank...but could be had cheap)

FORWARDS

Doan (ARZ) / Tanguay (COL) / Richards (DET) / Jagr (FLA) / Elias (NJ)

DEFENCEMEN

Ohlund (TB) / Phillips (OTT) / Boyle (NYR) / Zidlicky (NYI) / Campbell (FLA) / Mitchell (FLA)

G-OLDIES

None...for the same reason as the backups above I think it's time for Backstrom to just pack it in.

ANALYSIS: I think Tanguay, Ohlund, Phillips and Mitchell call it a career. Doan will get 2 more years as will Campbell..the rest, well 2016/17 will be their swan song.

The rest of the UFA's are bottom 6 guys (in my opinion anyways)...and to be honest with the incredible job that most AHL clubs are doing these days at developing youth on NHL ELC's...most of these guys will be battling for PTO's. Since the top tier guy's new contracts coupled with the pay increases that some players are already getting are gonna be sapping each team's financial resources, well again these guys ahd better let their agents know that they're willing to work for league minimum.

So how about each team's ability to go after these guys?

SCREWED

Financially (these teams can't really pursue any F/A's unless they trade away some salary or because they have too many or too valuable RFA's): CHI / CBJ / EDM / MIN / TB

Talent (they got nobody, and they won't get enough players by just throwing high dollar offers around): ARZ (too many RFA's, not enough Forwards to ice a team) /  NJ (sad situation really)

So who could we pursue (we'll have about 7.5mil once we dump Vrbata and re-sign Hammer to 3mil or less)?

I like the idea of making a deal for Ryan Johansen and then maybe plug in a Viktor Stalberg type. I think we need to re-sign Bartkowski if we can't get Hamonic / Prust if we can't get Stalberg and of course Baertschi.

go for hudler from calgary.. lucic and Byfuglien 

I think Lucic is coming home. I personally don't think it's a good idea, but with him and Virtanen in the top 6 in a couple years we would become a very difficult team to play against. I understand the appeal of the guy, but the canucks already have a reputation. We already get called on things a lot of teams would be gifted a slide due to the reputation over the last few years. I think it's getting better, but Lucic could be a step back.

Personally I would love to see Ladd. The dude is a legitimate competitor and would for well with the top 6 we are constructing. I also think he might work well the the twins. As a fall back I wouldn't mind seeing Boedker in a canuck jersey. He could fit in our top 6 nicely. 

As for D, would target Alex Goligoski. Quick, mobile, offensive and is a perfect power play quarterback. Just what the canucks need. And I think he plays the 2nd pairing R with Hammer resigned on the L. Next year leaving us with elder/tanev, hammer/Golio, and then Pizza/Hut. Much more formidable in my opinion. Alternatively we could look at Jason Demers. Another righty that could fill our 2nd pairing.

Players I'm interested in:

Lucic (for the right contract, he can bring a lot of things to this team. No need to resign Prust)

Okposo (I like his play a lot, he can be a great replacement for Vrbata, 27 years old)

Byfuglien (too obvious)

Jagr (I love the ageless wonder, would be great to see him in a Canucks jersey playing with the Twins)

The one guy I think we NEED to go after is Jason Demers. I would prefer to get him here for no longer than 4 years at about 4 million. Other than that some guys I would look at would be:

Lucic: Contract has to be no longer than 4 years. Nothing over 4.5 million. (decent chance)

Boedker: 4 years at 4 million (decent chance)

Ladd: If he signs for 5 years or less at around 5 million (not terrible)

Eriksson: 2 years at around 4 million (not terrible)

Perron: 3 years at no higher than 4 million (unlikely)

Okposo: I don't mind the term; 6-7 years is fine with me, but it has to be at less than 5.5 million. (almost impossible)

Backes: 5 years or less at no higher than 5.5 million (almost impossible)

Lucic is the most likely to sign here. We may be able to make Boedker a decent offer as well. Ladd might want to come home and Eriksson could have a chance with the Sedins. Perron we might be able to snag if nobody else offers him more. Okposo and Backes are pretty unlikely. I think we could only go after one of these guys though, and it's looking like Lucic, even though I would say there are better options.

These are the Canucks I would look to resign:

Hamhuis: Somewhere around 3 years and 3 million. (good chance)

Cracknel: 2 years at 1.5 million (good chance)

Baertschi: 2 years at 1.25 million (decent chance)

I would resign Hamhuis, and it looks like he want to stay as well. In my opinion, Cracknell takes priority over Prust. Baertschi is a guy that we should be looking to for another 2 years in my opinion. Gaunce, Shinkaurik, Kenins and Cassels would be our prime call up candidates. I think we should try to get all of these guys back.

So if we sign Demers, Lucic and all of the Canucks above, our lineup would look something like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Lucic - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi - McCann - Burrows

Higgins - Cracknell - Dorsett

Gaunce, Kenins, Shinkaurik, Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Demers

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan, Tryamkin, Biega

Miller

Markstrom

We trade Higgins in the offseason and that's a pretty successful offseason if you ask me ::D

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The one guy I think we NEED to go after is Jason Demers. I would prefer to get him here for no longer than 4 years at about 4 million. Other than that some guys I would look at would be:

Lucic: Contract has to be no longer than 4 years. Nothing over 4.5 million. (decent chance)

Boedker: 4 years at 4 million (decent chance)

Ladd: If he signs for 5 years or less at around 5 million (not terrible)

Eriksson: 2 years at around 4 million (not terrible)

Perron: 3 years at no higher than 4 million (unlikely)

Okposo: I don't mind the term; 6-7 years is fine with me, but it has to be at less than 5.5 million. (almost impossible)

Backes: 5 years or less at no higher than 5.5 million (almost impossible)

Lucic is the most likely to sign here. We may be able to make Boedker a decent offer as well. Ladd might want to come home and Eriksson could have a chance with the Sedins. Perron we might be able to snag if nobody else offers him more. Okposo and Backes are pretty unlikely. I think we could only go after one of these guys though, and it's looking like Lucic, even though I would say there are better options.

These are the Canucks I would look to resign:

Hamhuis: Somewhere around 3 years and 3 million. (good chance)

Cracknel: 2 years at 1.5 million (good chance)

Baertschi: 2 years at 1.25 million (decent chance)

I would resign Hamhuis, and it looks like he want to stay as well. In my opinion, Cracknell takes priority over Prust. Baertschi is a guy that we should be looking to for another 2 years in my opinion. Gaunce, Shinkaurik, Kenins and Cassels would be our prime call up candidates. I think we should try to get all of these guys back.

So if we sign Demers, Lucic and all of the Canucks above, our lineup would look something like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - McCann - Burrows

Higgins - Cracknell - Dorsett

Gaunce, Kenins, Shinkaurik, Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Demers

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan, Tryamkin, Biega

Miller

Markstrom

We trade Higgins in the offseason and that's a pretty successful offseason if you ask me ::D

Id perfer sutter in the lineup over a few of those guys but maybe im crazy

Gotta agree with the whole lucic thing tho. The guy wants to be here so bad. Bring him home. Him and virtanen would be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Imagine how much bigger virt plays with a mule like that on his line. That forecheck would be scary. Gotta agree with the demers too. Id love to push hard fkr that guy

5 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Gotta agree with the whole lucic thing tho. The guy wants to be here so bad. Bring him home. Him and virtanen would be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Imagine how much bigger virt plays with a mule like that on his line. That forecheck would be scary. Gotta agree with the demers too. Id love to push hard fkr that guy

West Coast Express 2.0

Archived