The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teenager beats world record for solving a Rubix cube

Apple Juice

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/five-second-rubiks-cube-1.3334204

While most people have never solved a Rubik's cube at all, a Maryland teen did it in under five seconds this weekend and set a world record. 

At a competition in Clarksville, Md., 14-year-old Lucas Etter solved his Rubik's cube in 4.90 seconds according to a post on the World Cube Association's website.

His time beat out another teenager, Collin Burns, who solved the colourful puzzle in 5.25 seconds. Burns only set that record in April, meaning that he spent about seven months as the world champ before being usurped by an up-and-comer. 

A video of Etter's solve – complete with a dramatic cube drop at the end – popped up online Sunday and has already been viewed by more than 700,000 people. Watch closely though; if you blink, you'll miss most of the solve. 

Etter broke the record Saturday as part of the River Hill Fall competition, where he beat another boy, Keaton Ellis, who also broke the previous world record at 5.09 seconds, according to Five Forty Eight.

Based on the World Cube Association's website, Etter already holds the record time for the 2 by 2 cube record at 1.51 seconds

The way these competitions work is that a computer shuffles each cube differently. When a competitor looks at the cube for the first time, he or she has just 15 seconds to examine their cube and form a plan of attack.  

The official Rubik's cube competition website recommends a few tricks to improve your cube-solving speed, like lubricating the cube, tweaking the tension of the internal springs, and precise finger movements.

It also advises competitors to hold the cube with a thumb and ring finger while moving the rows with a forefinger

Etter's record isn't in the books just yet, according to Time, as The World Cube Association is still verifying his results.

While the teen may be the best human speedcuber, he still hasn't bested man's rival, the robot.

The Verge pointed out that at 3.25 seconds, Etter's at least a second and a half away from defeating the Cubestormer 3 and being the undisputed champion of solving a Rubik's cube quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=vh0W8E4cNkQ

I think it was rigged.... The kid that setup the cube for him was obviously his friend. I bet they had the cube setup in a specific pattern and all the kid did was memorize the solution combination for that exact configuration.

Now I know that it can be solved quite quickly using a simple algorithm, but often times when you are solving you have to seemingly backtrack on certain steps to get to your final solution.

From what I saw I didn't see him have to do that at all, which either means he got lucky in the randomization of the cube to not require those steps or they prefigured out what starting configuration seemed very random (to the eye) but would ultimately be very fast to solve. 

Archived