The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Vancouver 1040

Alexandre

Listened to Jim Benning this morning on the Bro Jake and Dave Pratt show.http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-sedins-will-retire-as-canucks-1.400260

Bro Jake brought up the Sedin's. Then Pratt comes on trying to save face by jokingly doing an about face saying can we squash the rumours of trading the Sedins. Benning repeated that the Sedins were going to retire as Canucks. Praised their work ethic, coming in great shape, their competitiveness, and playing a cycle game that is very punishing.

Pratt mentioned something about getting the team to the next level. Benning mentioned that Willie and the coaching staff use different sports as models. Used the Seahawks as a models recently for their true grit and how hard you have to play to win. Praised Willie about using different angles, motivating and bringing the team together, by going to the football game for example, for team building.

Bro Jake commented about Mccann and Vrbata showing chemistry against the Wild last night. Benning commented that Mccann has a high skill level, got off to a good start, got a great release on his shot. Said it is a long season and as he was going along there he might have gotten comfortable. Benning and Linden noticed after practice the Sedins called Virtanen and Mccann over and talked for 10 minutes. Good leadership on the team that hold the young guys responsible. Mccann good with Vrbata because he gets him the puck. He is a skilled player and likes to handle the puck. Made great play when he made the backhand pass on Vrbata's goal last night.

Pratt mentioned Bob Mckenzie, said trade talks pick up at this time of year. Benning said it has been quiet but the last week has received more calls, GMs poking around seeing what's available. Talked to another 8-10 GMs to get a bead on what the marketplace is right now. Will see if he can improve team but will keep focus on a team in transition bringing in young guys and getting them up and going. It would have to be a certain type of player for them to make a move. It is hard to make a trade and teams want their good young players which they are not going to move. They are in the process of getting their next core up and going. Likes his team when healthy. Likes how hard they work and how they compete. Would like to add goal scorer.

Demko had an amazing start, 6 shut-outs in the first 7 games then let in 4 goals in one game. Had hip surgery in the spring last year and feeling really good. Last year played with lots of pain. Playing well.

Boeser, they were excited to get him where they did because he is a goal scorer. His release and ability to get to the hard areas to make time and space is what makes him special. Off to good start.

Who starts in goal is up to coaches. Miller got off to good start. Maybe best player for a month then may have gotten fatigued. Markstrom's injury factored into this.

Bro Jake asked if Beartschi is running out of time. Benning said we have to have more patience with young skilled players since more is expected of them, more pressure on them to make plays and score than say a player that comes and plays on the third or fourth line. Coaches working with him nightly telling him what he has to do better to stay in line-up. Has great hands, really good playmaker but needs to play more intense in other areas of his game.

Pratt asked if team back on track after Wild game. Benning thinks so. Liked adjustments made in 3rd period. Thru neutral zone was tighter, protected center of the ice better, kept shots to outside. Team have lost confidence with the lead, hopes that holding that lead will help regain that. Lost 13 one goal games, in every game, need timely scoring, manage puck, need to protect center of the ice. Wild one of fastest teams was impressed with how they shut them down thru neutral zone.

Bro Jake brought up Shinkaruk. Benning, Shinkaruk loves to score, pays the price to get to the net to get rebounds, deflections, tip-ins. Not surprised at his hot scoring, when sent down had him pencilled for 25-30 goals and to be a leader, he is working on other parts of his game so he can stay up, on the right track.

5 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Listened to Jim Benning this morning on the Bro Jake and Dave Pratt show.http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-sedins-will-retire-as-canucks-1.400260

Bro Jake brought up the Sedin's. Then Pratt comes on trying to save face by jokingly doing an about face saying can we squash the rumours of trading the Sedins. Benning repeated that the Sedins were going to retire as Canucks. Praised their work ethic, coming in great shape, their competitiveness, and playing a cycle game that is very punishing.

Pratt mentioned something about getting the team to the next level. Benning mentioned that Willie and the coaching staff use different sports as models. Used the Seahawks as a models recently for their true grit and how hard you have to play to win. Praised Willie about using different angles, motivating and bringing the team together, by going to the football game for example, for team building.

Bro Jake commented about Mccann and Vrbata showing chemistry against the Wild last night. Benning commented that Mccann has a high skill level, got off to a good start, got a great release on his shot. Said it is a long season and as he was going along there he might have gotten comfortable. Benning and Linden noticed after practice the Sedins called Virtanen and Mccann over and talked for 10 minutes. Good leadership on the team that hold the young guys responsible. Mccann good with Vrbata because he gets him the puck. He is a skilled player and likes to handle the puck. Made great play when he made the backhand pass on Vrbata's goal last night.

Pratt mentioned Bob Mckenzie, said trade talks pick up at this time of year. Benning said it has been quiet but the last week has received more calls, GMs poking around seeing what's available. Talked to another 8-10 GMs to get a bead on what the marketplace is right now. Will see if he can improve team but will keep focus on a team in transition bringing in young guys and getting them up and going. It would have to be a certain type of player for them to make a move. It is hard to make a trade and teams want their good young players which they are not going to move. They are in the process of getting their next core up and going. Likes his team when healthy. Likes how hard they work and how they compete. Would like to add goal scorer.

Demko had an amazing start, 6 shut-outs in the first 7 games then let in 4 goals in one game. Had hip surgery in the spring last year and feeling really good. Last year played with lots of pain. Playing well.

Boeser, they were excited to get him where they did because he is a goal scorer. His release and ability to get to the hard areas to make time and space is what makes him special. Off to good start.

Who starts in goal is up to coaches. Miller got off to good start. Maybe best player for a month then may have gotten fatigued. Markstrom's injury factored into this.

Bro Jake asked if Beartschi is running out of time. Benning said we have to have more patience with young skilled players since more is expected of them, more pressure on them to make plays and score than say a player that comes and plays on the third or fourth line. Coaches working with him nightly telling him what he has to do better to stay in line-up. Has great hands, really good playmaker but needs to play more intense in other areas of his game.

Pratt asked if team back on track after Wild game. Benning thinks so. Liked adjustments made in 3rd period. Thru neutral zone was tighter, protected center of the ice better, kept shots to outside. Team have lost confidence with the lead, hopes that holding that lead will help regain that. Lost 13 one goal games, in every game, need timely scoring, manage puck, need to protect center of the ice. Wild one of fastest teams was impressed with how they shut them down thru neutral zone.

Bro Jake brought up Shinkaruk. Benning, Shinkaruk loves to score, pays the price to get to the net to get rebounds, deflections, tip-ins. Not surprised at his hot scoring, when sent down had him pencilled for 25-30 goals and to be a leader, he is working on other parts of his game so he can stay up, on the right track.

Excellent summary. Thank you.

I like your angle on Pratt. That guy is such an absolute turd, it's beyond belief.

Honestly....what do ppl expect Benning to say?

"Ya we are hoping to have Sedins out of here within the year...."

"We getting alot of calls about guys like Hutton and McCann but we are holding out for the right trade...."

"I've offered Baertschi and Sbisa in packages but no bites for now..."

""WWeWe love Johansen and are pondering Horvat or McCann as trade bait...."

"We are building up Shinkaruk to get better value for him..."

4 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

"We getting alot of calls about guys like Hutton and McCann but we are holding out for the right trade...."

I expect him to say that he's tired of missioncanucksfan's constant angry outbursts.

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

This just seemed to be a brief review of the season so far.  Fair enough.

I'm do not picture Bartshi retiring a Canuck.  Here's to the next project player.

I think Baertschi has time to turn it around. Really, he hasn't been bad by any means. Better than Vey by a mile. He just needs to work on a few aspects of his game, like protecting the puck. He's been a decent player with noticeable flaws, but has not at all been bad per say. I say give him some time. 

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Excellent summary. Thank you.

I like your angle on Pratt. That guy is such an absolute turd, it's beyond belief.

Well, to be honest, I can't stand to listen to Pratt and Jake for that matter. I just tune in to 1040 during their show at random times and hope for a good guest.:P I think he has been going on about trading the Sedins? It was amusing the way Pratt broached that subject with Benning.

Just now, Alexandre said:

Well, to be honest, I can't stand to listen to Pratt and Jake for that matter. I just tune in to 1040 during their show at random times and hope for a good guest.:P I think he has been going on about trading the Sedins? It was amusing the way Pratt broached that subject with Benning.

He's such a gutless turd when he has a guest on. Jake is far more affable and harmless. Pratt is just an assclown (I think I can say that...)

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

He's such a gutless turd when he has a guest on. Jake is far more affable and harmless. Pratt is just an assclown (I think I can say that...)

Yes he is and yes you can. He was the kid that brought 2 apples to his teacher.:lol:

19 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Why bring this stuff up? Just because Benning says one thing does not mean he means another thing entirely. Can't we take the man for what he says? He hasn't even said anything and done something different yet in the past year.

Some people need to relax. You'll be a happier person, believe me.

27 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Nice to see that Benning can now publicly say what we are doing.  Last year he had an agenda to make the play off's. No doubt he still does this year (hence Prust / Sutter for example). But he still understands where we are actually at in regards to building this team.

Awesome!

I thought it was noteworthy he mentioned we needed a goal scorer. Then both Shinkaruk & Boeser popped up in the conversation. This also suggests we are taking the long view ATM?

What he did not say, which I remain peeved about is an incentive to rejuvenate our D!

17 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I think Baertschi has time to turn it around. Really, he hasn't been bad by any means. Better than Vey by a mile. He just needs to work on a few aspects of his game, like protecting the puck. He's been a decent player with noticeable flaws, but has not at all been bad per say. I say give him some time. 

Yup.  No choice but to try and salvage him.  Sometimes it's hard to coach intensity though.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nice to see that Benning can now publicly say what we are doing.  Last year he had an agenda to make the play off's. No doubt he still does this year (hence Prust / Sutter for example). But he still understands where we are actually at in regards to building this team.

Awesome!

I thought it was noteworthy he mentioned we needed a goal scorer. Then both Shinkaruk & Boeser popped up in the conversation. This also suggests we are taking the long view ATM?

What he did not say, which I remain peeved about is an incentive to rejuvenate our D!

Maybe he didn't say anything about the D because he's doing something about it. One can only hope...

20 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I can say one thing: I prefer giving Baertcshi a chance than using that spot on a vet that'll be insignificant in a couple of years time. Not saying veteran leadership isn't important. It is, but if this guy finds his game, he'll be one scary kid on the ice.....

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

And this has been a topic of increasing frustration for 4 years now for me, Gillis timeframes inclusive.

When are we going to get serious about having a feared, big, skilled D core? I'm be happy, content, with our use of a 3rd round pick on Brisbois. But a guy who projects, if all things go well, to a 3 or 4 D man is not going to win us any championships. We have to hire one of Nashville's D scouts. We have to start making bigger investments on our defence rather than hope late picks and C class UFA signings like Bartkowski will turn the team around.

I think he needs to get out and say this is the teams number one priority!

Archived