The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Vancouver 1040

Alexandre

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Jim's getting more savvy with the media imo.  This is a little misdirection.  Happy to see it.  We need D.

He did say outright that he doesn't want to move any of the young talent.  I believe that so I guess that means they're out of the running for Johansen.

Yes... Because he's gonna say that young talent is available if he's making a deal for Johansen... Does nothing but lower their value.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we do need to have a bit of urgency when it comes to making the sorts of trades that are out there right now. Hamonic is clearly on the block, Barrie might be as well

I think a better word, instead of urgency, might be intent!

Yes I want Benning in on Hamonic. But its not like Hamonic will make us a serious contender in the short term. If it takes more than what Hamilton or Reinhart cost this past summer, and it probably will? I would probably wait for that younger player when they pop up. That player would then be peaking in a time frame consistent with that Horvat through Boeser corridor hitting their peak.

At the deadline Anaheim, the Isle still Chicago and possibly even (cough) Florida and Jersey all could have young D for sale. The currency would be something much closer to what we might like to pay.

Philly and Carolina both may need to swap a surplus crowing for a spot on the blue line. For a forward or goalie next summer?

Wait for the right move & a currency we can afford to pay... And by all means let everyone know your in. Does telling the market your in necessarily hurt you? Everyone knew Burke wanted Pronger. Everyone knew Burke wanted the Twins. Everyone knew Burke wanted to sell Bure...

3 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Well John as said Carolinia is following the Canucks around. Skinner is a goal scorer. THE CANUCKS WANT JEFF SKINNER

::D

We need Skinner if you have no confidence in Gaunce, Baertschi or Shinkaruk.

Fleury would look pretty good if we planned on cashing Hamhuis somewhere else at the deadline?

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

Benning's said a number of times that teams have inquired about his young players (including Horvat) and that he doesn't want to trade them. Clendenning would have been an exception because of Benning actually wanting Sutter.

Personally, I'd much rather have Horvat than Johansen. Horvat's going to be an all-around good player in my eyes. The kind you don't just get everyday.

OK that is definitely a biased opinion, Johansen is a 1C type player that is so rare to come by

Need a goal scorer?

It is a fact that good defence creates offense...we need to improve our "D" and limit the fire drills by moving the puck quickly up the ice (rushing or passing) rather than scrambling in our own end like bambi

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we do need to have a bit of urgency when it comes to making the sorts of trades that are out there right now. Hamonic is clearly on the block, Barrie might be as well and there are a lot of struggling teams that would be looking for a shakeup right now. Trades are certainly done over a long period of time and I'm sure they're hard to make, but good GMs and good teams find ways to make them in opportunistic windows.

This Hamonic opportunity is about as opportunistic as it gets. We need a mid-20 something right handed, physical shutdown defenceman to play alongside Hutton for now and in the future. Hamonic wants out of NYI and to come to Western Canada. It literally does not get more perfect than that. Benning has to show some urgency in that situation because Winnipeg and Edmonton would jump all over that chance.

If we feel the need to trade right now? Sure, urgency might help, but that same urgency would likely come back to bite us later on. We don't need to trade right away. We're going through at least a couple of years of transistion, so things like our defense are likely going to be a sore spot for a while whether we like it or not.

I would rather us get a good trade or signing later on to bolster our defense, get us the right guy, rather than try and pry a guy like Harmonic out of NYI for a heafty fee like Horvat or Hutton, or both, or even more than that. We're not doing us any favour throwing away our youth.

The Hamonic opportunity is not what it's cracked up to be in my opinion. It would be nice, but it's a pipe dream at best. If we get him, great, but I'm happy that Benning's not willing to part with our key pieces for it. It's not worth that.

8 hours ago, Hectic said:

OK that is definitely a biased opinion, Johansen is a 1C type player that is so rare to come by

How is that rare to come by? Several teams have first line quality centers.

One thing that has become increasingly clear over the years is that two way forwards (especially centers) are extremely vital for teams. Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron....

I don't know about Johansen's defensive qualities, but if they're nothing special, then I'll keep Bo and his two way potential any day. 

19 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

How is that rare to come by? Several teams have first line quality centers.

One thing that has become increasingly clear over the years is that two way forwards (especially centers) are extremely vital for teams. Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron....

I don't know about Johansen's defensive qualities, but if they're nothing special, then I'll keep Bo and his two way potential any day. 

I find it funny to hear to many people wanting Johansen and acting like it's some simple trade to get him. I bet if any of them sat in the GM's chair they'd be shocked when they kept hitting brick walls, or seeing the team go downhill as they force these trades by selling away our team so they could get 1 or 2 good players.

Archived