The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Toughness

EdgarM

So, I have been thinking of Sbisa's latest big hits and where he had to fight with I think Winnipeg's Peluso afterwards. I am thinking that one of Prust or Dorsett should have showed some support for Sbisa. The same with Virtanen when he is throwing some killer checks and has to answer to whoever after the whistle. My feeling is that our tough guys should be providing a little push back and support for our younger players. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Team toughness doesn't come from just 2 players providing push back, it comes from the whole team. The mentality of the whole team should be you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us... not just Dorsett and Prust.

Yes agreed, just not seeing any support from anyone really. I am thinking that the youngsters might perform better with support but things have been pretty quiet since Prust's injury.

I think, while it's important for Dorsett and Prust to protect others, these other young player need to learn to stick up for themselves. If our other players can learn to be tough, then it'll make our team that much stronger moving forward.

This would especially go for players like Virtanen and Sbisa, where bumping around other players is what they do. ;)

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think, while it's important for Dorsett and Prust to protect others, these other young player need to learn to stick up for themselves. If our other players can learn to be tough, then it'll make our team that much stronger moving forward.

This would especially go for players like Virtanen and Sbisa, where bumping around other players is what they do. ;)

I do believe they stick up for themselves but I also expected one of our tough guys to make their presence known which I did not see.

Daniel Sedin throwing punches this year and being 4th in the league in scoring is the definition of team toughness. I think at times this year we've defended our own really well, the twins have looked after each other and still scored goals, Prust and Dorsett have really policed the ice and looked after the kids and Sbisa is a monster on the blueline as Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis regress in physicality.

I think we've got the right amount of team toughness right now. Any more gritty guys on this team and we really become too one-dimensional. We've got a perfect balance of skilled guys (Sedins, McCann, Baertschi, Vbrata), gritty two-way forwards (Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, Sutter) and primarily physical players (Dorsett, Prust, Virtanen) in our forward group when healthy. Don't need any more.

The funny thing is the nhl didn't even credit sbisa for a hit that game. Their stat people bet on props and enter whatever they want. The league is so corrupt... Many good men lost money on the over under for the sbisa hits yet the nhl didn't even recognize him wrecking Ehlers. 

/rant. 

I think the team toughness is fine tbh. With prust, dors, virt and lui throwing monster hits as usual I think we're good.  

Really respect the freight train for fighting a guy way bigger than him. LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 

Sbisa and Virt throw hits every game, that's their game and as long as they are clean, it's fine.  They know others will come after them for those hits and as long as it's within boundaries, Prust or Dorsette don't need to jump off the bench and defend them. Just a little pushing, cross checking or gloved punches thrown, no biggie. I have a bigger problem of no-push-back after that hit on McCann. Thank GOD he wasn't hurt.

The fact that the Canucks don't beat the crap out of everyone who even breathes on them has bugged me for years, I hate it. But at the same time, I should try to grow up a bit and learn that hockey really isn't the same game as it was when I first watched it, when players were held accountable on the ice and if you even farted near a star player you got your face pounded in and the linesman had to pick up teeth.

Spisa should look after himself, you wanna hit guys, pay the piper, same goes for JV. I've got no problem with players having to fight if they want to play tough. The thing that still drives me insane is when, for example, McCann takes a cheap, high, crappy hit behind the net and no one is throwing fists. If McCann played a hardnosed, hit everything game, I wouldn't care, but he doesn't... Sorry, but if JV gets nailed, kinda comes with his playing style, do unto others. But it doesn't matter who gets hit if it's dirty, I still want blood for BS hits, and the team lacks that blood lust.

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

go get Lucic and Buff and stop messing around.

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser (This Kid can snipe)

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen (imagine the terror)'

Shinkaruk-McCann-Hansen

Prust-Gaunce-Grenier

Dorsett.Cracknell

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Buff

Sbisa-Pedan

Tryamkn-Subban

Sbisa needs to be better defensively like Christan Erroff    - Nice idea 4 a line up

All I know is that Hansen, Higgins, Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis can't be walking away from scrums or cheap shots after the whistle. The Sedins get to do it and that's fine, they've earned it, but everyone else (especially the guys I named) have to stick up for themselves and each other. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys pitchforking Miller after the whistle only to see Edler or Tanev barely give them a love tap. If you do that kind of crap to other teams it's a sure way to catch a nasty cross-check and end up in the bottom of a dog pile. I caught a Comets game in the beginning of this season and I saw the battle level in that team, they have that wolf pack mentality. I thought to myself why can't the Canucks play like that...

5 hours ago, luckylager said:

The fact that the Canucks don't beat the crap out of everyone who even breathes on them has bugged me for years, I hate it. But at the same time, I should try to grow up a bit and learn that hockey really isn't the same game as it was when I first watched it, when players were held accountable on the ice and if you even farted near a star player you got your face pounded in and the linesman had to pick up teeth.

Spisa should look after himself, you wanna hit guys, pay the piper, same goes for JV. I've got no problem with players having to fight if they want to play tough. The thing that still drives me insane is when, for example, McCann takes a cheap, high, crappy hit behind the net and no one is throwing fists. If McCann played a hardnosed, hit everything game, I wouldn't care, but he doesn't... Sorry, but if JV gets nailed, kinda comes with his playing style, do unto others. But it doesn't matter who gets hit if it's dirty, I still want blood for BS hits, and the team lacks that blood lust.

Who was on the ice to throw fists when McCann got hit. Willie would probably get pissed if someone got an instigator penalty and took away a 5 min PP especially when we are down a goal. I forget what the score was at the time of the hit. 

7 hours ago, homersexual said:

Who was on the ice to throw fists when McCann got hit. Willie would probably get pissed if someone got an instigator penalty and took away a 5 min PP especially when we are down a goal. I forget what the score was at the time of the hit. 

There were 4 other players on the ice. Coaches get mad.

Are we talking about TEAM toughness?

Archived