The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Computer issue!

inane

My computer starts and then 2 or 3 seconds later it just shuts itself off. 5 seconds later starts again on it's own and then shuts off, repeat. I had this before and taking the battery out and putting it back in fixed the issue, this time it's not working. Suggestions? 

28 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Possibly your power supply is dying/over-heating or a mem problem, google memory test and pursue it..process of elimination.

I second this post sound like a memory fault.  I have never owned a laptop so not sure how much sticks of memory they have but if it is more then one try removing one and starting the computer.

Is it an overclocked machine? I assume not if your asking CDC for computer advice. but if it is could be a timing issue with the memory could also be causing issues. I know from personal experience that memory that is not seated properly can cause this issue so try taking it out and putting it back in also rubbing a pencil eraser on the pins is supposed to help?

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

O

Not a laptop. I removed the battery from my pc motherboard. Not over clocked, it's a basic computer. I tried taking things out and replacing them one by one, no luck. Could be the power supply as I don't have a spare one to do the test. Grrrr.

Also, this board sucks with quotes. I can't delete that above apparently.

6 minutes ago, inane said:

Not a laptop. I removed the battery from my pc motherboard. Not over clocked, it's a basic computer. I tried taking things out and replacing them one by one, no luck. Could be the power supply as I don't have a spare one to do the test. Grrrr.

Also, this board sucks with quotes. I can't delete that above apparently.

Only other thing could be the heat sink on the processor isn't seated properly or proper heat compound contact. Can happen if pc gets a good bump or was dropped. 

Power supplies are finicky and can cause multiple issues that mimic other problems and can be hard to pinpoint without some tools or swapping with a known good One.

No issues leading up to this. I rarely use my computer, so I doubt it's overheating. I hadn't used it in a few days when I tried to turn it on and this happened.

Like I said, this did happen before and I just took out and put back in the battery, that seemed to work. This time, it's not.

is your video card seated properly in yer motherboard...sometimes the card can pop loose a bit.

have you added any extra hardware recently, maybe you have a conflict...try unplugging any external drives, thumb drives etc. even a conflict between 2 internal drives.

trial and error diagnosis time.

24 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

is your video card seated properly in yer motherboard...sometimes the card can pop loose a bit.

have you added any extra hardware recently, maybe you have a conflict...try unplugging any external drives, thumb drives etc. even a conflict between 2 internal drives.

trial and error diagnosis time.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Pulled and reseated ram, video card, hard drive, the only thing I haven't is the power supply cause I don't have another one...

10 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Look at the capacitors on the motherboard and check if any are bulging up or open on the top. 

This. On top of bulging, you may have some that no longer point straight up. If they're bulging on top or really tilted then the MB may be toast.

I'd lean to that or the PSU if it's only getting 2-3 seconds into the power up (and likely not even hitting post or loading the OS). I'd assume you can't even get to the BIOS at this point.

lean.jpg

Nichicon_2200uF_6.3V_swollen_leaking_cap

capblown_3.jpg

Archived